Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Economy crumbling : Tony Blair wheeled out to defend the indefensible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy crumbling : Tony Blair wheeled out to defend the indefensible.

Well known war criminal Tony Blair has been talking to The Telegraph, defending the banks, Thatcherism, etc. and apparently blaming everyone else ("cultural norms") for the "recent financial crisis" - good phrase that, makes it sound like a little problem that has already come and gone rather than an ongoing process that's screwing more and more of us into the ground and getting progressively worse...

You would think, since we all know Blair's the kind of person you count your fingers after shaking hands with, nobody would be paying the slightest attention but he's a devious little weasel so it's worth examining his words carefully.

He says: “Don’t take 30 years of liberalisation, beginning under Mrs Thatcher, and say this is what caused the financial crisis.” -
    Liberalisation - ie. making massive frauds legal

“We mustn’t go back to the State running everything.” -
    Sounds good and pushes the right buttons, but the state never did run everything. Even at the lowest point of the 1970s, which is what he's alluding to, the state had very little actual control over anything. Thatcherism was all about taking control and handing it over to big corporations (something Mussolini - and he would know - called facism, although he preferred the term "corporatism"...)

“We must regain the basic values of what society is about,” : “We’re not against wealth, but we are in favour of social responsibility.” -

ie Don't penalise the corporations for their criminality, make what they are doing legal and appeal to their better natures.

and, my favourite, 'We must not start thinking that society will be better off “if we hang 20 bankers at the end of the street”, Mr Blair says.'

On this one, I agree completely. Hanging 20 bankers is nowhere near enough to make any real difference.

He's still pushing the free market myth. I have nothing at all against the free market idea - it might even work although, like communism, there's no real evidence that it would work to the benefit of society even if we did try it seriously. But there is no free market - there's a heavily manipulated market and Blair's been in the thick of some decidedly dodgy practices for a long time. An obvious example being when his government sold off the UK's gold reserves - (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...ck-down-price/ In what way is that different to treason?

It is also becoming clearer and clearer that the big banks, with the assistance of our elected representatives, have been indulging in massive fraud leaving taxpayers to foot the bill for their bonuses when they screw up. It is not a "conspiracy theory" to observe that Barclays could not have manipulated the Libor rate on their own - it had to be a large number of banks working together. So it could only have been a conspiracy and even "liberalisation" hasn't quite made that kind of colossal fraud legal. A £360 million fine when the low estimates for the amount of money tied to Libor is £360 TRILLION? That's not a punishment, even as a backhander it's an insultingly trivial amount...

(By the way, the bankers need their massive bonuses, they know exactly how much the value of our money has been eroded with "quantatative easing" and are far more aware than the rest of us that pay rises in line with inflation are a great way of gradually becoming poor.)

It all comes back to feeding the debt monster - and the solution being offered, which benefits nobody except the banks, is to generate more and more of it. Not to fix anything, just to keep the system going. A sure sign of insanity is when someone keeps repeating the same actions, expecting the opposite result next time...

Blair, of course, should be referred to as "a spokesman for the banks" - after being rewarded handsomely by JP Morgan for his role in starting the illegal Iraq war (against the wishes of the people in the UK), he has lined his pockets to an obscene degree, directly from JP Morgan/Zurich/etc. and through his role as a "peace envoy" (another hilarious piece of doublespeak) : (http://www.theinsider.org/news/article.asp?id=2760)

So, given that nothing this man says can be trusted, I'm led inexorably to these conclusions :

30 years of liberalisation caused the financial crisis.
    Society will be better off if we hang bankers.

Originally posted by Robin View Post
    On this one, I agree completely. Hanging 20 bankers is nowhere near enough to make any real difference.

HEHEHEH Dude, this made me laugh out loud and made my day!

Everything you said applies to the former Brazilian president Lula as well. Which was the Brazilian biggest political lie in all times!
    Last edited by zlogdan; 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
      Originally posted by Robin View Post

HEHEHEH Dude, this made me laugh out loud and made my day!

Everything you said applies to the former Brazilian president Lula as well. Which was the Brazilian biggest political lie in all times!
      Me too

Apparently Visa is the only card accepted for payment at the Olympic games, so much for a free market.
      http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X