Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

World cup in Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World cup in Brazil

As a former soccer fanatic ( today I loathe it ) I have always dreamed of seeing an world cup in Brazil. As I have grown up I realized that it was realistic not to trust that it would happen. Contrary to my thoughts, my government made some deals and they won the opportunity to be the host of the world cup on 2014.

What do you really think about it ? I can tell you some facts: there is a lot of money "flowing" from unknown places to other unknown places, the required working for stadiums and infrastructure is being made slowly. The more realistic people see that the money could be invested in healthy services, culture and education, as the amount of money used to host the soccer world cup far exceeds the annual rate of money invested by the government in those areas.

Instead of happy, I am really sad to see that Brazil will be the host for the world cup, but as a whole, Jingoism has made everybody blind to what is happening. Not that I can do anything against it, but I will not care for the world cup neither I bother to see our team play.

This world cup is our current "opium". And some people think Brazil is a paradise. By the way, take a look at the first picture in the URL below:

http://www.recantodasletras.com.br/poesias/3551004

It is close to my apartment .
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Zlogdan, during the last world cup we actually had a thread where no mention of football was to be made at all, so maybe in 2014 we will have to resurrect it as I don't like football either !!! It looks like there are some extensive works going on near you !!!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

As far as the economy is concerned this reminds me of the Olympic Games in Greece.Of course,that's an even bigger event,with several sports so lots of work and cost but it's certain that it was a major factor in the downfall of the Greek economy.Not only was our economy too small to handle sucha big event but we also spent much more money than the previous countries that hosted the Games.Now most of the buildings aren't even being used.So much money wasted.
      Speaking of works near our houses,the ring road of Volos was a work to be done during the Olympics(the newly built Panthessalic Stadium was to be reached via the ring road).What happened?A few days before the Games they made the road just till outside the stadium and in the 8 years that followed the road isn't ready yet.We're talking about a ring road in a city of 130K people,not some huge metropolitan area.

Comment

In fairness I think Brazil can far better cope with the economics of the World Cup than Greece could with a modern Olympics, but I really can't comment on the implications on Brazil as I really don't know enough to comment.

As a football decision it seems the right move. Brazil is international football in the minds of most footie fans and for Brazil not to have the World Cup would be insulting, especially considering some of the nations who have been awarded it over recent years (sorry South Africa).

But equally I can imagine your trepidation, zlogdan. While I believe there is a good case for Britain to get the competition again in terms of honouring the tradition and heritage of the game (and we already have the infrastructure, so at least it wouldn't be an excuse for our government to build their own vanity projects, a la the Olympics), yet I was very glad we lost the recent bid because the hype would be unbearable. The economic case for these prestige sporting events can not be made to justify the expense. The evidence shows that for every one who attends someone else chooses to avoid and it tends to concentrate the influx of money into a very small area. The Olympics is likely to be very good for London Hoteliers, but not so great for Londoners are those who rely on tourism else where in the UK. While the regeneration of Stratford is a ugly joke. A shopping mall the size of a small town plus a white elephant are not a legacy worthy of the expense.

My own relationship with football has certainly tailed off in recent years. Footballers and their idiot fans have put me off, and the modern midfield stifling game leads to too many boring matches. I still watch it occasionally, but without much enthusiasm.
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

As far as the economy is concerned this reminds me of the Olympic Games in Greece.Of course,that's an even bigger event,with several sports so lots of work and cost but it's certain that it was a major factor in the downfall of the Greek economy.Not only was our economy too small to handle sucha big event but we also spent much more money than the previous countries that hosted the Games.Now most of the buildings aren't even being used.So much money wasted.
          Heiron, well, Brazil made a dumber decision: we will host both a World cup and then, the Olympics at Rio. And I certainly see that they are doing it for the lamest reasons: money and vanity. It seems that the smart folks convinced the other enthusiasts by playing with their Jingoism and natural arrogance ( as whole Brazilians think we are the best thing on earth, while I like to be a Brazilian, I hardly agree with this obtuse thinking of our folks ). I can assure that although we probably have the money for hosting both, I think we will be better using this money in other areas that will suffer the lack of funds. In all the ways, this tells me we cannot host a world cup or Olympics or whatever else. Sadly we cannot do anything.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post

As a football decision it seems the right move. Brazil is international football in the minds of most footie fans and for Brazil not to have the World Cup would be insulting, especially considering some of the nations who have been awarded it over recent years (sorry South Africa).
            Well, being fully honest, FIFA has awarded the rights of hosting world cup very politically, rather than logically. The Brazilian government is smart, this is a long story, if you would like to know better of the Brazilian new evil lords, I would certainly write more. But I think it will ruin your day or bore you to hell :-) They are using the world cup and the Olympics as a political maneuver, that is part of the their usual way of keeping them selves at power. They appeal to the idiotic jingoism and to the natural innocence of our illiterate people.

The Olympics is likely to be very good for London Hoteliers, but not so great for Londoners are those who rely on tourism else where in the UK. While the regeneration of Stratford is a ugly joke. A shopping mall the size of a small town plus a white elephant are not a legacy worthy of the expense.
            Well, UK in general and I would say Greece too are far more serious countries than Brazil. Everyday I am constantly stroke by the lack of ethics and moral of our people, but then, I might be biased. I am a country boy, I always lived in small towns, but since 3 years ago I moved to Sao Paulo, where things are far worse.

My own relationship with football has certainly tailed off in recent years. Footballers and their idiot fans have put me off, and the modern midfield stifling game leads to too many boring matches. I still watch it occasionally, but without much enthusiasm.
            LOL, this pretty much describes my self regarding my feelings toward football.
            I still however like the game of the past, up to 1982 or 1986.

Comment

I'm a big football fan, currently enjoying the best European Championships for many years. The quality of football has generally been very high and so far, after 24 games, the have been no 0-0 draws. The joint hosts, Ukraine and Poland, have put on a tremendous tournament in brand new stadia specially built for the event. There has been some very sporadic and limited crowd trouble but nothing like that which has happened in the past.

I'm not especially patriotic and watch England games with the same level of interest as I do Ireland, Scotland or Wales games. Traditionally Liverpudlians of red (Liverpool), blue (Everton) and white (Tranmere Rovers) persuasions are not overly enthusiastic about our national team. Maybe it's the Irish and Catholic influences in the city.

At club level I'm a Liverpool season ticket holder who schlepps up from London every other weekend. Last season was the worst we've had since 1954, but as a fan, you still have to do it, and you still start the next season with the same level of enthusiasm and optimism as you do every year.

I can tell you for nothing that the is not better feeling than seeing the team that you have supported all your life, who you have followed through the thick of many triumphs and the thin of deep personal tragedy, reach the pinnacle of European club football in a distant stadium at some ungodly hour of the morning, after an epic comeback from certain defeat.

Apart from getting married, I still regard that night in Istanbul on 25th May 2005 as the best night of my life.

As for Brazil being awarded the World Cup in 2014, I think it's a good thing. The international kudos and resultant economic benfits of successfully hosting a major sporting event like the World Cup or the Olympics can be huge. Look at the impact Euro 96 had on the UK, or the Olympics had on Sydney and Barcelona.

Brazil are one of the emerging economic powers and the leading economy in South America. A successful World Cup will enhance that position and could be a positive influence on the whole continent.

Embrace it, look forward to it and be in a position to benefit from it. And get to a game or two, you may even enjoy it.

Comment

Go Armadillo!

Brazil! Bossa Nova!!

Comment

Heh I hate bossa nova and samba!
                  // not kidding, I would happily live without them

Comment

Working...
                  X