Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HUNGER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUNGER!

Friends,
    I'm getting more and more bored with the Bush/Kerry thing. What I would like to talk about for at least some stretch is relevant to the entire world and perhaps can draw more forum members into the discussion from either side of the Atlantic: HUNGER

I hope we will not kill this thread with too many off-topic replies and too lengthy articles that are copy-pasted, because I feel the billions of people on this earth that have to suffer hunger deserve our attention. They are hungry in part because of our wealth!
    There will certainly be many theories about why and if this is so. Let's discuss them. There might be ideas what we can do individually and there may be limits we do not want to cross. Let's hear all.
    I think HUNGER is so important that I didn't want to hide the subject in the "Activism" section where, as we can see, fewer visitors turn up.
    Google ergo sum

Before I even try to say that I have solutions...

Would you consider this tied in to the "overpopulation problem?"
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

If I understand it correctly, hunger is rarely an issue of not enough food to go around.... it's usually a distribution issue.

Comment

I know it's a drop in the ocean (or whatever expression you may find suitable), but check out http://www.thehungersite.com.

Thanks for your attention.
        You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Interesting topic, LE.

Global hunger is a horrible problem. Often, as Kitsune points out, hunger is related to distribution. Unfortunately, the distribution problems are too often a matter of someone commodifying food and letting someone else starve because they can't afford to eat. Of course, the real problem in the scenario I described is not about distribution.

Alarmingly, hunger isn't just an issue for the poorest nations in the world. The industrialized nations of the world also have immense hunger problems. The US is the most striking example of this. We have literally millions of children who don't have access to enough food. Sometimes this gets lost when we talk about what "basic rights" are. I would suggest that food is one.

Anyway, I wanted to add to this thread by exposing my bleeding heart. :)

Comment

I'm with the "distribution" side of this debate. There is no "overpopulation", or rather overpopulation is what occurs when people are impoverished and see having children as their only insurance for the future- plus a few extra, of course, to replace those who will die.

I think its pretty much established that there are major problems and injustices in our world trade system. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. This is happening within countries as well. :(
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I believe there is overpopulation also. We are the proverbial fly bottle filling up with dead bodies and too many living flies to support. There are more people alive right now than at any other time in human history.

The good old days meant space, resources - a true world of plenty for all concerned. It was possible to live off the land as a community provided your politics allowed for that kind of thing.

Those that stand astride the heap of bodies in the bottle are usually of two types: those of power and those of ability. Sadly, those of ability are not always well rewarded; but those of power are almost always at the top of the heap. That's just the way it is.

Comment

I just had a conversation about overpopulation and how it relates to hunger. The idea of a regions carrying capacity came up. A carrying capacity is the population that a certain area of land can support. This can be increased through technology. One argument suggests that this can be increased on an almost unlimited basis, as necessity increases innovation. However, I think we're beginning to see a flaw in this logic, as it doesn't take into account who controls the technology to increase food (and other resource) production.

I guess where I'm going with this is that hunger seems to be just about food and populations. However, there may be other distrbution issues that sadly have nothing to do with food. I didn't even mention the politics of food...

Comment

A small correction/addition:
                  The sum of everyone alive right now is greater than the sum of everyone that has ever lived before this time.

And I agree with Doc - politics is a huge issue when it comes to food. I think we are stretching the limits of available resources, but true hunger is preventable through cooperative effort. The trouble is that not everyone that needs to cooperate actually does so to solve the problem.

I think this thread started with good intentions, but goes at the issue "bass-ackwards." Peace must precede full bellies. We live in a world where we are willing to embargo against nations, costing them lives, for purely political reasons. Ultimately, we are too calloused to resolve the problem.

We'd rather fight than to love one another. We are not fully civilized yet...

Comment

Foozle- Isn't it sad to realize that fighting is easier than loving? Very well, said.

That really does get at the heart of the politics of food. For instance, the US has enough resources to feed everyone many times over, but we have political debates about entitlements while children go hungry. I don't care how you argue the issue. You can blame an adult for putting themself in a position to be starving (although I don't agree with this position). However, no child asked to be born hungry. The cuts in some entitlement programs have literally taken food from children's mouths. Are we supposed to tell them to get a job? However little sense that would make, it typifies some people's responses to hunger. Tell people to get a job, not wait for a handout. Sadly, public assistance-- even for children-- is much more about politics than caretaking.

Internationally, the politics may be worse. Of course there are several examples of industrializing countries that have an enormous disparity between haves and have-nots and an accompanying disparity between accesses to adequate food. However, there is also a tremendous disparity between nations that have and those that have-not. Politically and economically, nations which have less are often exploited in the name of meeting basic needs of food and water. When these two conditions intersect, we sometimes see the worst of politics-- remember oil for food?

Comment

WHAT KEEPS MANKIND ALIVE?(Brecht/Weill)

You gentlemen who think you have a mission
                      To purge us of the seven deadly sins
                      Should first sort out the basic food position
                      Then start your preaching, that's where it begins

You lot, who preach restraint and watch your waist as well
                      Should learn for all time how the world is run
                      However much you twist, whatever lies you tell
                      Food is the first thing, morals follow on

So first make sure that those, who now are starving
                      Get proper helpings, when we all start carving

What keeps mankind alive, the fact that millions
                      Are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced, oppressed
                      Mankind can keep alive, thanks to its brilliance
                      At keeping its humanity repressed
                      For once, you must not try to shirk the facts:
                      Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts.

You say the girls may strip with your permission (whoa!)
                      You draw the line dividing art from sin
                      So first sort out the basic food position
                      Then start your preaching, that's where it begins

You lot, who bank on your desires and our disgust
                      Should learn for all time how the world is run
                      Whatever lies you tell, however much you twist
                      Food is the first thing, morals follow on

So first make sure that those, who now are starving
                      Get proper helpings, when we all start carving

What keeps mankind alive, the fact that millions
                      Are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced, oppressed
                      For once, you must not try to shirk the facts
                      Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

For once, you must not try to shirk the facts:
                      Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
                      Still as true as the day it was written :x
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                      X