Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Save the Hobbit pub, Southampton, England!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The legal system is broken in many ways:
    1) injunctions before court action
    2) court action too slow to start
    3) court action too easy to delay/extend once started
    4) court action too expensive
    5) potential for awarding "costs" makes a the risk of loosing too high for the not-rich to risk

Essentially, the courts are only for the rich. A shame.

Alas, non court routes (as seen in url disputes for example, via various quangos) have a disturbing sense of always favoring the status-quo, a.k.a. the big players, a.k.a. the rich again.

They've got you coming and going.

Comment

I was just reading about a case, sometimes it does work 'the other way' where the infringer is the bully, this seems to border on harassment to me:

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2012/...mes-a-lawsuit/

And don't even get me started on how Google uses it's clout and wealth against content creators.

Comment

Essentially, the courts are only for the rich.
        In what can only be described to be another example of Agribusiness and Government interference in the lives of America’s family farmers, if Monsanto’s genetically modified (GMO) crops contaminate an organic or conventional farmer’s fields and that farmer saves and replants their own seed, under current U.S. law, the farmer can be sued by Monsanto for patent infringement.

Does this even sound like it could happen in America?

In fact, between 1997 and 2010, 144 farmers have already been sued by Monsanto and another 700 have settled out of court for undisclosed sums. Many times these abusive lawsuits force farmers into bankruptcy and off the land. We can’t allow that to continue to happen.

This is appalling. But it only happened because of the powerful collusion between corporate agribusiness and elected officials who have turned our regulatory agencies into revolving doors between Monsanto’s executives and other corporate officials.

Unfortunately, this collusion has left U.S. farmers trapped in an Orwellian Catch 22. If their neighbor plants a field next to theirs that contains GMOs and the pollen containing Monsanto's patented genes engineered in a lab blows across the fence onto their land and contaminates their crops, then they can not only be sued by Monsanto, but also lose their farm if they can’t afford the court costs. Sadly most can’t afford the fight. And Monsanto knows this.

More at link:

Farmers vs. Monsanto - Democratic Underground
        The Ralph Retort

Comment

Monsanto are, despite being a company (and ignoring silly US laws treating companies as if people with associated free speech et al.), as close to a modern definition of evil as one could wish. They make the big pharma and oil companies look positively moral in comparison.

Comment

Agreed. Thankfully there have been some positive developments, where the courts have worked for the little guys, not against them:

Precedent has now been set for organic farmers to sue biotechnology companies whose GMOs contaminate their crops

http://www.naturalnews.com/033216_GM...#ixzz1yhyFxIXm

Rice farmer is awarded $500,000 in case over crop contamination

http://www.stltoday.com/business/art...#ixzz1yhyQRk8T

Comment

And the end of the Hobbit Pub saga, it all becomes clear:

http://eater.com/archives/2012/10/23...bbity-food.php

Denny's is launching a Hobbit-themed menu as a tie-in with Peter Jackson's upcoming movie The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Because nothing says Middle-Earth more than Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies or Gandalf's Gobble Melt

Tolien etc. had to secure the rights with a lawsuit so they could license them out without challenge.

Now, the question is, will someone sue these people? I used to eat at one of these when I was a kid, it was called 'Hobbit Hoagies' then. It had a painted window with a character straight from the Rankin-Bass movie.

Personaly, I think 'whatever' because it's just a kid's book to me. It's important that the Tolkien people be able to do what they want with their junk so that people like Mike can keep other people from doing it to HIS work. Elric Albino Bloodless Sausages or whatever. The same thing that enables the Tolikien estate to prostitute allows Mike to protect his own work.

3000 posts!!
              WOOT!!
              And they ain't all crap either!!
              Last edited by opaloka; 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X