Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hey BBC news. Australia is not part of Asia!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English Assassin
    replied
    Does enough happen in Australia for it to deserve its own section? Just be glad the World Service still exists... but here's a suggestion, maybe Australians could financially contribute to the BBC instead of just accessing it for free then moaning about it?

Leave a comment:

• Oren
    replied
    Originally posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Never take offense at what the BBC report on, their organisation has proven time and time again that they have an overt political and social bias ...
    And here's a perfect example, once again in the field of geography:

http://www.breuerpress.com/2012/07/2...thout-capital/

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    'Wizard of Oz' from the Stranglers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpGnLlwF-RU

Leave a comment:

• The Cosmic Balance
    replied
    "Follow the yellow brick road..."
    \

"We're off to see the wizard..."
    \

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Yeh, but back to Oz...

Leave a comment:

• Timberwolf
    replied
    That's actually quite a good idea in theory, but like some of the commenters there, I wonder how it can be tracked and enforced without appearing a little too close to being 'Big Brother'

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Moving the chat away from UK/Europe and back to Australian internet identity - if indeed if ever really started there - here's a fun wee snippet on Oz archiving, where the commentards are particularly interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Lucid Sirius
    replied
    Geography and its nomenclature is fraught with peril.

What frightens me, though, is that compared to many a major US news outfit, the BBC is a font of sophistication, impartiality, style and gravitas.

A former professor of mine once answered a question from a visiting scholar from Scotland on what the best newspaper in the US was. "The New York Times. Alas."

Leave a comment:

• Wanderlust
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
    As for the Americas I guess they find it difficult because of Mexico. Geographically Mexico is part of North America but culturally has more in common with South so to be accurate the put the US and Canada together and call it such and lump Mexico in with the rest of the Americas and call it Latin America to give it a more truthful term. Guess things are never really simple.
    Well, yeah . . . they do lump us in but rarely report anything going on in these environs.

Chip on the shoulder of a lot of my country folks, in that US affairs always take precedent. Silly buggers. How do they think nasty goings on by Canada have been going under the radar for all this time? Well, I mean until our current ct got his long-sough majority.

Leave a comment:

• Timberwolf
    replied
    Never take offense at what the BBC report on, their organisation has proven time and time again that they have an overt political and social bias ... even when as a taxpayer funded broadcaster they are supposed to be completely impartial. Calling Australia a part of Asia is one of their milder ones, try swallowing it when they support incompetent (and as proven by their investigation and occasional sentencing, sometimes corrupt) politicians and governments in Britain herself.

Leave a comment:

• Pebble
    replied
    Originally posted by flutegirlrockz View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17150393 . We are a continent in our own right. We are not part of Asia. So give us our own section. Or stfu about us.
    Hmmm. Intriguing. Leftie conspiracy theories coming on?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/da...e-anglosphere/

Leave a comment:

• Wolfshead
    replied
    Actually BBC isn't the only one lumping Aus in with Asia, a lot of other groups do it to. What can you do, boycott?

As for the Americas I guess they find it difficult because of Mexico. Geographically Mexico is part of North America but culturally has more in common with South so to be accurate the put the US and Canada together and call it such and lump Mexico in with the rest of the Americas and call it Latin America to give it a more truthful term. Guess things are never really simple.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
    It's just Australia and the Rest or the World.
    All politics is local. Er... I mean news.

Leave a comment:

• Heresiologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
    Imagine not having a tab for Oceania.
    Beeb have always been at war with Oceania?

And where's North America! It's like all they care about is that the phrase "US & Canada" has a shorter character count than "North America". Don't they know Canada's just a few acres of snow and tar sands?!?! It's just not important enough to get its name in the primary navigation bar.

And there's no such continent as "Latin America". And what about Antarctica? Those shoggoths under the mountains down there are going to burst their pseudopods!

Really though, it's website navigation, not something to set your compass by. It doesn't have to be geographically exact, it just has to help most people find the stuff they want. Furthermore, since it's a news site, I imagine the groupings are more geo-political/geo-economic oriented.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 02-25-2012, 12:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Originally posted by The Cosmic Balance View Post
    I know multiverse.org (aka Moorcock's Miscellany) is wide-ranging but it's not (yet) a subsidary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (aka BBC); as such we're unable to deal with your complaint or forward it to the appropriate department.

Suggest you try the BBC News website feedback or the BBC Complaints web pages instead.

Ok Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X