Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hey BBC news. Australia is not part of Asia!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey BBC news. Australia is not part of Asia!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17150393 . We are a continent in our own right. We are not part of Asia. So give us our own section. Or stfu about us.

Imagine not having a tab for Oceania. Goodness! And those poor Russians, being lumped into Europe when they are so massively in Asia too. For shame!

Its the BBC website. Is there no Australian news website you can use?

As a general point - it's fair comment: the website is wrong.
    As for "stfu" - no. That's where you loose your argument.
    That and too many apostrophes in the title.

Comment

I know multiverse.org (aka Moorcock's Miscellany) is wide-ranging but it's not (yet) a subsidary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (aka BBC); as such we're unable to deal with your complaint or forward it to the appropriate department.

Suggest you try the BBC News website feedback or the BBC Complaints web pages instead.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

FGR
        While we are our own continent (though so is Antarctica, but they don't get their own news zone either) we have a population of about 22 million, which is pretty small fry really. At the top of the page you linked are 7 tabs breaking the world into zones. The U.K. gets its own, which is fair enough for a U.K. news service really. This leaves 6 zones to break the worlds remaining nearly 7 billion people into. Under such a system, I really don't think it is unreasonable to lump Oztraya in with asia, which we are geographically kinda part of.

If they had a tab for "Convict Collonies" then you might have grounds for a complaint...

Comment

http://www.abc.net.au/news/world/

http://www.theage.com.au/world

Why do two of Australia's major media websites not even bother dividing the World into smaller sections? It's just Australia and the Rest or the World.

I think they should divide it into three - Australia, the Rest of the World and Current Ashes Winners.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cosmic Balance View Post
            I know multiverse.org (aka Moorcock's Miscellany) is wide-ranging but it's not (yet) a subsidary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (aka BBC); as such we're unable to deal with your complaint or forward it to the appropriate department.

Suggest you try the BBC News website feedback or the BBC Complaints web pages instead.

Ok Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
              Imagine not having a tab for Oceania.
              Beeb have always been at war with Oceania?

And where's North America! It's like all they care about is that the phrase "US & Canada" has a shorter character count than "North America". Don't they know Canada's just a few acres of snow and tar sands?!?! It's just not important enough to get its name in the primary navigation bar.

And there's no such continent as "Latin America". And what about Antarctica? Those shoggoths under the mountains down there are going to burst their pseudopods!

Really though, it's website navigation, not something to set your compass by. It doesn't have to be geographically exact, it just has to help most people find the stuff they want. Furthermore, since it's a news site, I imagine the groupings are more geo-political/geo-economic oriented.
              Last edited by Heresiologist; 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                It's just Australia and the Rest or the World.
                All politics is local. Er... I mean news.
                “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Actually BBC isn't the only one lumping Aus in with Asia, a lot of other groups do it to. What can you do, boycott?

As for the Americas I guess they find it difficult because of Mexico. Geographically Mexico is part of North America but culturally has more in common with South so to be accurate the put the US and Canada together and call it such and lump Mexico in with the rest of the Americas and call it Latin America to give it a more truthful term. Guess things are never really simple.
                  herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by flutegirlrockz View Post
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17150393 . We are a continent in our own right. We are not part of Asia. So give us our own section. Or stfu about us.
                    Hmmm. Intriguing. Leftie conspiracy theories coming on?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/da...e-anglosphere/
                    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Never take offense at what the BBC report on, their organisation has proven time and time again that they have an overt political and social bias ... even when as a taxpayer funded broadcaster they are supposed to be completely impartial. Calling Australia a part of Asia is one of their milder ones, try swallowing it when they support incompetent (and as proven by their investigation and occasional sentencing, sometimes corrupt) politicians and governments in Britain herself.
                      Twitter: The system that put paid to the old adage 'politicians only lie when their lips start moving'

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                        As for the Americas I guess they find it difficult because of Mexico. Geographically Mexico is part of North America but culturally has more in common with South so to be accurate the put the US and Canada together and call it such and lump Mexico in with the rest of the Americas and call it Latin America to give it a more truthful term. Guess things are never really simple.
                        Well, yeah . . . they do lump us in but rarely report anything going on in these environs.

Chip on the shoulder of a lot of my country folks, in that US affairs always take precedent. Silly buggers. How do they think nasty goings on by Canada have been going under the radar for all this time? Well, I mean until our current ct got his long-sough majority.
                        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Geography and its nomenclature is fraught with peril.

What frightens me, though, is that compared to many a major US news outfit, the BBC is a font of sophistication, impartiality, style and gravitas.

A former professor of mine once answered a question from a visiting scholar from Scotland on what the best newspaper in the US was. "The New York Times. Alas."

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                          - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

Moving the chat away from UK/Europe and back to Australian internet identity - if indeed if ever really started there - here's a fun wee snippet on Oz archiving, where the commentards are particularly interesting.

Comment

That's actually quite a good idea in theory, but like some of the commenters there, I wonder how it can be tracked and enforced without appearing a little too close to being 'Big Brother'
                              Twitter: The system that put paid to the old adage 'politicians only lie when their lips start moving'

Comment

Working...
                              X