Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

American politcion says he's proud the Jails are full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American politcion says he's proud the Jails are full

It was on the news and I didn't catch his name but dosn't that mean the system (rehabilitation) isn't working. In America if you are on the dole for 6 months you lose your benifits. Other than begging tuning to a life of crime may be your only option. No wonder the jails are full and politcions shouldn't be happy about it. I could go on and on about why America sucks but that's Michael Moore's job. What does evryone think of this.

Unfortunately, prisons are big biz in the US, and currently our Canuck PM is following suit spending untold millions on new mega-prisons, creating stricter laws on pot, among other new draconian laws. The worst of it (well, in Canada's case) is PM Harper has even been told by law-makers in Texas that his plan is not the answer to crime -- it doesn't/won't solve anything. But then again, it's big biz . . . .

Oh yeah, Canada's crime rate has fallen significantly over the past years, but that's not going to stop our head barmy tory. Oh no.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Yea, I love the draconian pot sentences. They never learn. Years ago there was a serial killer on death row who wound up getting a reprieve when the SCOTUS found all death sentences to be wrong under current laws. Next thing you know the prisons are over crowded and they start releasing "low risk" prisoners. Finally they reach the end of that list and somewhere along the line this guy, along with a number of other murderers wind up being paroled. 4 days later he started killing again. One wonders how much of that overcrowding was due to harsh sentences for minor drug offenses? Worried about locking up drug users and let serial killers go free. Of course their answer to this is not to rethink the rules on drugs but to build tons mor prisons. In-frikkin-credible
      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

There are many reasons to fill the jails .......

Ideology is one of them .......

Money is another one ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Comment

A prison could be my future home.Many people with mental illness wind up there, after a period on the streets...
          Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

What with it being a crime to be poor and all... who needs social programs when we can just lock up these degenerates and give them food, shelter, and medical care? I propose we open up "voluntary prisons" for those of us who want to take advantage of these "convict only" benefits on a temporary basis. That is to say... until the economy magically recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
              What with it being a crime to be poor and all... who needs social programs when we can just lock up these degenerates and give them food, shelter, and medical care? I propose we open up "voluntary prisons" for those of us who want to take advantage of these "convict only" benefits on a temporary basis. That is to say... until the economy magically recovers.
              Perhaps you could even call them.......Workhouses?
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I realise your tongue was a little in cheek, thanos, but how much does it cost to incarcerate a person or 1 year? 'Cause our prisons cost something like 120k per pesron per year, which is just over 4 times what that person would recieve in unemployment benifits over a year.

Comment

They need to do The Big Issue over there that way some people can stay out of Jail.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosShadowsage View Post
                    You jest Thanos but you also strike close to the truth. A friend sent me an article over a year ago when I was without medical insurance about a guy, in North Carolina I think, who waltzed in to a bank, robbed the teller of $1 and then went and sat down on a bench to wait for the cops to arrest him. Seems he lost his job a few years earlier and his medical coverage and wound up with some medical conditions that needed treatment. Only way he figured to be able to get the treatment he needed was in prison so he robbed the bank. Pitiful statement on conditions in this country.
                    herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

I was definitely joking when I made that post. But it is indeed pitiful when a country can acknowledge the fact that even it's worst citizens deserve to be treated humanely but simultaneously refuses to make said treatment universally available to all. I understand the argument they use... they don't want to be forced to do anything, freedom being the word of the day and all that jazz, but when it comes to caring for your fellow man it shouldn't require force.

Comment

Thing is, a lot of the people against universal health care are against it because they already have coverage as part of their jobs and buy in to the proposition that they will lose their ability to choose under some govt run plan. What they don't seem to realize is that over the years most of them have had their benefits whittled away and considering the popularity of HMO plans due to lower costs and their "networks" have already lost a large part of that choice already. How many had to make changes years ago when their employers switched to HMO for their medical coverage? Wonder how they will feel when health care, like pensions already have, wind up being phased out and paid for by themselves and that the "prison" option might be their only alternative?
                        herb

Comment

The conspiracy rumor mill says that 'detention centers' are being built all over the US. Concentration camps or Debtor's prisons, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                          X