Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The last forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last forest

Hello, everyone.

In the days of "The Warhound and the World's Pain", there were plenty of dark, mysterious forests in Europe. Today, not much of it remains. In Sweden, a country which has relied on forestry since the start of the industrial revolution, only 5 % of today's woods would be recognized as forests by von Bek. The rest is basically large tree plantations.

More than 1600 species are threatened by extinction because of this situation. Many birds, plants and fungi depend on undergrowth and regular fires for their survival. Unfortunately, the local governments have little money for preservation. Only 0,9% of the woods outside the mountainous areas are protected.

Oh dear, if your good ol' liberal hearts weren't bleeding before... What to do, what to do? The answer is simple! Just visit the website http://www.ettklickforskogen.se/ and klick on the button saying "Ett klick for skogen Klicka har" and the site's sponsors will donate money to buy forest which needs to be protection. The foundation responsible for the site aims to buy forest which would not otherwise be protected. Please note that they're not against forestry or anything, they just want a little piece of the old woods to be preserved, while paying a just amount of money to the present owners of those woods.

You can click once per day and computer. If you don't understand Swedish but is curious about anything on the site, I'll be happy to translate for you. "Ett klick fأ¶r skogen" means "A klick for the forest".

You might also want to visit the source of inspiration for the site: http://www.therainforestsite.com
    You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Wow, I have just helped to preserve 3 square decimetres of "old growth forest".

There is a union flag at the top of the website you can click for an English translation.

Right, everyone gets a tree for Christmas this year :)

Rymdolov, you Scandinavians are much sort after [broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Oh, I missed the union flag... :oops:

Thanks for clicking! :D

Comment

I can't see any Union flag when I follow the link, but then I am probably on the wrong screen resolution, etc. so I'm trusting you chaps. If I end up with another mail-order bride, I'll be mighty peeved.
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            I can't see any Union flag when I follow the link, but then I am probably on the wrong screen resolution, etc. so I'm trusting you chaps. If I end up with another mail-order bride, I'll be mighty peeved.
            I know right, I get at least 3 a week.

Comment

I can't see any Union flag when I follow the link, but then I am probably on the wrong screen resolution, etc. so I'm trusting you chaps.
              You don't really need an English version to decode it, I'd think.

Pأ¥ Svenska, أ¤r det inte sأ¥ svأ¥rt. ;)

If I end up with another mail-order bride, I'll be mighty peeved.
              Been cruising a lot of Russian web sites have we? :lol:

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Etive
                :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                That isn't the page I got when I clicked, I swear! But when I collapsed all of the tool bars at the top of my browser, the barest glimpse of the top of the flag appeared. I'm not sure if there's any technical explanation for that, but thanks for the support and advice there Etive...

"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Rymdolov, I left you a Klick as required.
                  Vad sأ¤gs om en kopp kaffe, hemma hos mig...

L'Etranger
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                    Vad sأ¤gs om en kopp kaffe, hemma hos mig...

L'Etranger
                    Jأ¶sses Amalia, it seems like everyone in here understands Swedish. I nearly posted my diary here, thinking that it's a good place to keep a back-up copy...

It's a common mistake among Swedes, though, to assume that noone understands what you're saying once you cross the border. This can lead to all sorts of embarrasing situations.

LEtranger: Jag dricker tyvأ¤rr inte kaffe, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Comment

Hate to disappoint you, but look here:
                      http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasb...sentences.html

In any case, knowing German and English I find it easier to figure out than, say, Greek or Basque...
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Sorry Dee, I've been writing tutorials lately you know.

Somebody call me a meanie in Swedish!

Comment

Anshi and bat'am tiru seyt nesh
                          My Amharic is really better than my Swedish, Lydia, and i called you something nice in it instead :D
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by LEtranger
                            Hate to disappoint you, but look here:
                            http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasb...sentences.html
                            Ah, very informative (is that a real word?). I would like to add that when found in an embarrasing situation, at the wrong place, etc it is always good to shout Vad أ¤r klockan? and then run in any direction. This might be a universal strategy, though.

Thanks for klicking, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Etive

Somebody call me a meanie in Swedish!
                              Sylt! Innehأ¥ll! Samtalsteknik! (I've been looking forward to this!)

Comment

Working...
                              X