Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bush/kerry debates

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush/kerry debates

just wanted to see what everyone thought about the president bush/ senator kerry debates last night on television. Personally i like george bush for the seat of presidency in america but kerry did some valid points last night. One of the points he made is that bush has no plan to leave iraq. but that is kind of hypocritical because he doesn't have a plan either. Kerry said last night that he had plans to "double the troops in the american army" and i believe the only way he can do that is if kerry brings back the draft ( which i believe he will)

Actually Kerry does have a plan. I know this because he's said so many times.

Comment

Hoo-ee. What a frat boy.

A draft would end the war. When Kerry says "win the war" he ain't whistling "Dixie"--he understands that "war" is a verb meaning "kick boot-tay." Bush thinks war is a corporate promotion--company slogans, sound bites, affirmations, meetings, spending appropriations as fast as possible, and a slick PowerPoint presentation.

Also, draftees would be cheaper than out-sourcing to Halliburton, who charges Uncle Sam $125.98 to peel one potato. He He He.

And, anyway, young people today could do with a bit of structure in their lives. In this country we have a lot of five-year-olds walking around in eighteen-year-old bodies, and I want them to get their act together so they can work, pay into social security and take care of me when I retire, dog-gone-it. :lol:

Bush's impatient reaction to Kerry's criticisms suggest to me a man who is surrounded by "yes" men who are keeping him in the dark: the corporate ethos of the White House in action, alas.

I bet they are having a bad morning in the White House today, or around the chuck wagon, or where ever it is that Bush meets with his posse....

Comment

I believe that the draft would be a bad idea. As an 18 year old i believe that teenagers should get off of their lazy arses and enroll into the military to serve their country that has provided them with so much. I have many friends that are high school drop-outs and all they do is sit around and get on the computer all day when rather they could enroll into active duty and have a place in society. dont get me wrong, they could always get their GED and go into college but most likely (Not in every situation) if they dropped out of school they will drop out of college. i think america has turned into a society that everyone wants but no one wants to give back. Mr.kerry had some good points last night on the war but so did bush also. I agree more with bush about morals but i agree with kerry for the economy. i am more of a moral man though so my votes going for bush. both have valid points and i wont be upset no matter who wins the presidency.

Comment

Well, it depends upon whose morals you are talking about.

If you are talking about the morals of the founding fahters, if you are talking about the morals of the men who took part in the Boston Tea Party, if you are talking about the morals of the ministers who preached against the tyranny of the British, their empire, and their state religion, then you are a protestant and are more likely to see eye to eye with what the democrats are doing.

If you belive in state-controled religion, if you believe in mind control, if you don't belive people should be free to take responsibility for their own ethics and conduct, then you are a fundamentalist and agree with the mullahs, the terrorists, the Catholics during the inquistion, the Romans during their empire, with mean, uneducated and opportunistic trailor-court bible-thumpers, and--yes--you agree with the Republicans.

Now then. Think. Which kind of a moral man are you?

Comment

why do you throw such criticism at me because i like president bush? i am not a republican nor a democrat i vote for the person not the party. I said that john kerry had good points so why are you trying to tell me that i am a bible thumping republican? yes i believe in the bible and i believe what this country was founded upon which is freedom and christianity. i didnt criticize kerry or anyone who likes him so why are you throwing that at me? I just said that i believe in morals. i am pro-life, against gay marrages and adoptions, i dont believe that we need pro choice judges in office and I believe that the Dont ask dont tell theory is best. thats what i mean by morals. i respect peoples choices and i dont bash them if they are diffrent than mine, and i expect the same.

Comment

and also why do so many people put republicans and democrats in such a sterotype. Its the person with the morals, not the party

Comment

I say bring back the draft!!

It would be a good opportunity for young people, especially those who back Bush, to serve the country, and get a good taste of reality for what it exactly means to serve an administration that has a preemptive ideology-- to strike our "enemies" in their own territory, so our own territory will not get destroyed by planted bombs and hijacked airplanes. You cannot underestimate the mighty force of plastique and hijacked airplanes.

Without Bush I'm sure these things would have happened again since
                9-11-- well I guess if you believe everything coming out of Bush and Cheney's collective mouth-- because they have made us safer even though most of Iraq is without power and people are still dying, including our own, and it is generally a state of chaos on the ground over there.

If we didn't invade Iraq, which had no ties to 9/11, surely all that chaos over there could happen here! Explosions, and beheadings in the USA since those terrorists will do anything they can to kill us. So we have Saddam Hussein behind bars, but things have gotten worse in Iraq. Even though we're safer at home now, things have gotten worse in Iraq because these killers are against Freedom. The last thing they want is a free Iraq. Why? because they are against Freedom and are cold-hearted killers. That's Bush's position is it not?
                Bush wants us to believe...
                We are safer, but we are still in danger from terrorists.

The experts know Iraq becoming stable, if it's possible, will take a long time-- I've heard one say 20 years. And we know our military is over-stretched. You can't argue with that. You haven't been following the news if you don't realize that.
                If things continue the way they are, a volunteer military will not work. Enlistment will drop dramatically. It doesn't take rocket science to understand that. I recently saw a news article about how reserves are hesitant and not showing up for duty. It's old news about how the military has lied to reservists to get them to re-enlist, saying that if they don't they could get called out of IRR and go straight to Iraq.
                It's not right for military commanders to have to resort to such tactics. But can you blame them?*

So I say reinstate the draft. Like Carter said, it would be good for our youth who they have said are too fat nowadays. Stop playing the Xbox and drinking soda and do something good for your country! Plus it would be more fair. The sons and daughters of rich people will serve, not just the unfortunate who are poor and don't have many options in their lives.
                I'm all for Paris Hilton, and the Bush Twins wielding an M-16. Otherwise, what good are they? Enough with the reality TV, and time for reality!
                By the time things in Iraq are about cleaned up, John Edwards' young son will be old enough to enlist or be drafted to do the finishing touches on Iraq's democratization! It would be a great testament to the first part of our 21st century!

Maybe my words can inspire. I say JOIN NOW!!

I proudly served already. I say, y'all youngins, it's your turn! I know you are patriotic; I know you love your country; never forget 9-11! Now is your time to shine!

This is about freedom, people!
                God bless America!

Wow! I think this was my best post ever. It's objective and represents both Democrats and Republicans. It's for the entire USA, the land of the free. And now we can once again prove it's the home of the Braves. Oops! The Brave! (the people, not the baseball team)
                \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Not that I have any wish to see the draft brought back, being a yellow-belly as I am, but it's a fact that most of the more popular games at the moment are either real-time strategy games, or those Rainbow Six first-person shooters where you lead a group of soldiers on various missions... maybe they've been planning to bring back the draft all along? Training the youth of our nations through their "play time", so that they're already suitably desensitized before they're dropped in to combat?

Of course that conspiracy theory overlooks the popularity of Grand Theft Auto, which would be training the youth to do all sorts of naughty things.

Of course, over here, the country's leaders (or candidates) can be quizzed by random members of the public on national television... does that ever happen in the States?

[edited to correct hideous grammar]
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Not, for the presidential race, D. I could be wrong, and welcome being corrected!
                    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

yes i believe in the bible and i believe what this country was founded upon which is freedom and christianity. i didnt criticize kerry or anyone who likes him so why are you throwing that at me? I just said that i believe in morals. i am pro-life, against gay marrages and adoptions, i dont believe that we need pro choice judges in office and I believe that the Dont ask dont tell theory is best. thats what i mean by morals. i respect peoples choices and i dont bash them if they are diffrent than mine, and i expect the same.
                      This confuses me very much. You say that you respect people's choices, but then say that people shouldn't have the choice to get an abortion, the choice to choose a non-christian religion, the choice to marry whomever they want...

This country was founded on freedom, yes, founded on religious freedom and equality also. Should only people who agree with you be given equal treatment? Should only people who agree with you be considered moral? How would you feel if you were the "minority"? How would you feel if you were a Christian citizen in a Pagan government that claims to be founded on freedom and equality, yet consistently tried to pass laws that enforced Paganism? How would you feel if you were a heterosexual in a community that was primarily homosexual and their laws discriminated against your sexual identity, yet the government claims to promote equality?

You claim to believe in what the founding fathers believed in, yet at that time women weren't allowed to own land, vote, etc. and African Americans were slaves. Is that what's considered equal today? I don't think so, but people have taken the spirit of what the founding fathers intended and applied it to a more civilized society.

Comment

Free boob jobs for all who join the armed forces! You can get medals too you know!

But careful putting on those medals! It would suck if you popped and deflated your own boob! =0 :roll:

:o :twisted:

Comment

If you're a guy, you can get a nose job, so you can look more like Brad Pitt or something. Either that or butt-cheek implants!

Comment

This country was founded on freedom, yes, founded on religious freedom and equality also. Should only people who agree with you be given equal treatment? Should only people who agree with you be considered moral? How would you feel if you were the "minority"? How would you feel if you were a Christian citizen in a Pagan government that claims to be founded on freedom and equality, yet consistently tried to pass laws that enforced Paganism? How would you feel if you were a heterosexual in a community that was primarily homosexual and their laws discriminated against your sexual identity, yet the government claims to promote equality?

This is a typical response. I generally don't get involved in these discussions here, because it is usually a waste of time. I'm not going to convince towards my opinion, and I don't someone is going to change my opinion on these things.

However, I couple points that I'd like to make. Not sure what you mean by "minority". If you mean homosexuals, I don't agree that that constitutes a minority. Homosexuality is a lifestyle. Are alcoholics a minority. I'm not going to debate whether homosexuality is a choice or not. That is pointless. Bottom line is, I don't think that there should be any discrimination based on sexual orientation. But that does not mean that defining a marriage as between a man and a woman is discrimination. The state has the right to define legal marriage. There are age restrictions on marriage for good reason. My main problem with homosexual marriage is if that leads to adoption. I think that the evidence is clear that children are better off being raised by a mother and father. That does not mean that all mothers and fathers are good parents, but I don't like the thought of saying that two mommies is just as good as a mommy and a daddy. Not true.

Regarding abortion, it's easy to say that pro life people want to take away a woman's "right to choose". I think that those who are pro life are concerned about the life of the unborn. Again, I don't want to argue the point as I'm not going to convince anyone, but I just wish that the pro choice people would realize what concerns pro life people. It is not about trying to limit women's rights at all.

The rest I would assume that you are saying that the government, i.e. Bush is trying to pass "Christian" legislation. Sorry, but I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJunkyMonkey
                              If you're a guy, you can get a nose job, so you can look more like Brad Pitt or something. Either that or butt-cheek implants!
                              So, you'd discriminate against men who want boob jobs? You commie bastard!
                              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Working...
                              X