Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jubilee

...proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants; it shall be a jubilee for you." - Lev. 25:10

In the Hebrew Scriptures, a year of rest to be observed by the Israelites every 50th year, during which slaves were to be set free, alienated property restored to the former owners, and the lands left untilled.

http://www.jubileeusa.org/

I dont think any time being a slave is a good time being a slave. Unless of course youre into that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
      I dont think any time being a slave is a good time being a slave. Unless of course youre into that sort of thing.
      Slaves have had thoroughly different conditions, rights, and status throughout history. While slavery is, of course, basically wrong, many of them had better lives than for example workers in British coal mines in the 19th century. A nice little comic book quote comes from a slave when asked too much by the evil, evil grand vizier Iznogoud: "We're slaves, not workers!"
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

OFF-TOPIC ...
        Jagged, let me direct you to a thread in some other matter [broken link] if you haven't already seen it.

All others excuse, thanks in advance :D
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 03:49 AM.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

Um...is it lost on you people that my post is actually about debt freedom for the "third world"?

Sheesh!

Comment

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."
            --Exodus 22:25

" Do not charge your brother interest, whether on money or food or anything else that may earn interest."
            --Deuteronomy 23:19

This, I think, is the single biggest problem with removing the debt from impoverished countries: the filthy greed of those 'benefactors' who offer 'support' at ridiculously high interest rates. This type of aid isn't benevolent charity, it's blatant exploitation.

"These nations have already paid back their debts time and again. The debt crisis set in when interest rates skyrocketed and compound interest made repayment impossible."

"FACT: Nigeria borrowed $5 billion, paid $16 billion to date and still owes $32 billion.
            "

http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cg..._the_debt.html

That statistic is downright sickening, is it not?

I've been kinda busy, so I haven't been at MWM much lately. I have to say I'm surprised this topic fizzled without any intelligent discussion. The debts of third-world countries definitely need to be looked at.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
            X