Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mexican Drug War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morgan Kane View Post
    But the difference between some major companies and organised crime can be very slim .....

That observation would be funny if it wasn't so dead on.

Comment

Well I have done some more research into the Mexican drug war. I would agree that legalizing and/or decriminalising some drugs would take away the funding for the groups but people are dying in Mexico everyday and we should think what can be done in the shorter term - drugs wont be legalized in the next five years I dont think.

The drug war is bewteen the Sinaloa Cartel, La Famila, Los Zetas and the Mexican army. The cartels are able to take on the government and each and commit their massacre's because American legalised the sale of machine guns to civilians in 2004 (it may be 2006 though Im unsure and will need to check). The cartels are paying people to buy these guns for them and ship them down south to mexico - the problem is so bad that the police cheif and mayor of one Texan town were actually arrested for selling guns to the mexican crime families.

The war has been so bad because of these weapons - people arent often killed alone in Mexico and groups of 4-12 seems to be the people the average found. In my original post I said it was 16,000 killed in the past three years - the number now appears through what I have been watching to be around about 22,000 people killed.

Corruption is the next issue that should be dealt with. Most of the officials of small Mexican towns in the northern areas are either bribed, intimidated or killed by the cartels. I feel for any official out there trying to do an honest job. The cartels are now so brazen that four members stormed a police station with machine guns and killed the Police cheif in his own office for not taking bribes.

The cartels are involved in massacres, they kidnap and extort. They rely on fear and the more they are ignored the more power they have. The whole world needs to see what is happening in northern mexico. It is spreading north to america and south to guatomala (where drugs lords recently beheaded 12 men in a night).

The cartels are a much more immediate danger to society than terrorism specifically islamic fundamentalism - in my personal opinion.
      Please Check out my Musical Dedication to work of Michael Moorcock

THE END OF ALL SONGS
      We are looking to collaborate with anybody else interested in making Moorcock themed music - contact me here or on soundcloud.

Comment

While the Mrs. & I were gridlocked in I-95 traffic the other day, we listened to a long interview with UK journalist Ioan Grillo, who lives in Mexico City and has been reporting news about the Mexican cartels for 10 years. His first book just came out, and it's called El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency. Grillo came across as a smart, level-headed guy, and though I haven't bought Narco yet, I thought I'd pass the publication news along because the book directly addresses the topic discussed in this thread.

Here's the book site: http://www.bloomsburypress.com/books...l_narco_hc_113, & here's an NPR site featuring audio files concerning his work:http://www.npr.org/books/authors/141650226/ioan-grillo

Comment

Having just watched a saddening documentary this week on the weak controls over Oxycontin supply in Florida (especially Broward county) which are feeding the rest of the USA with the drug. Broward is turning itself into the USA's Mexico.

I refuse to fuel the drug war in Mexico, where many friends and colleagues live, and I refuse to fuel the trade in the USA because I don't do illegal drugs, and I will avoid anything prescription stronger than Ibuprofen as long as I can draw breath without extreme pain.
          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I'm reminded of a story my wife tells Des, which she overheard on a bus one day.

Two lasses were chatting about some mate in common, who was apparently more than keen on snorting / smoking / popping whatever a local club's chemist had on offer, typically as a combo deluxe. Apparently one cold February morning, this chap comes in looking rather concerned: "Is it safe to have an asprin if you had lemsip this morning?"

Comment

Do I have a right to a drug-free next-door neighbor?

If so, the logic underlying this position needs to be spelled out.

If not, then the War on Some Drugs needs to end.

In the back of my mind I have difficulty escaping the fact that even before the drug war, the police in Mexico were notoriously dishonest bunch. I wonder how much that contributed to the current state of affairs.

Comment

Saint Death

On top of everything else going on in northern Mexico, a cult that worships "Saint Death" is, reportedly, gaining converts among gang members there. The cult's rituals are alleged to include human sacrifice: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americ...542449795.html

Comment

Just wondering why the countries involved don't fight the "War on Drugs" with a strong education policy.

Tell the kids in school at a young age what the stuff, be it soft or hard, does and how it can effect/affect a person's life.

Show them truthfully how the stuff can ruin your life without the scare tactics and I think the kids will get the idea that using, is not in their best interest.

If there are no buyers then the sellers will go away to greener pastures.

Have always been curious on why the governments don't focus on honest education as a way to combat abuses of any kind.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
                  Conrad

Comment

Mexican Presidential Election 2012

Hey, folks: The Mexican presidential election is today, and results should be coming in soon. For those who are interested, there are informative news articles about the election and the election process here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...rGW_story.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...alderon02.html

http://www.as-coa.org/article.php?id=4230

And the results can be tracked here: http://noticias.univision.com/mexico/elecciones-mexico

Comment

The Mexican newspaper El Universal has reported that recent US court documents reveal that between 2000 and 2012 the US government permitted the Sinaloa cartel to bring drugs into the US in exchange for information about Sinaloa's rivals (which leads me to wonder why Sinaloa was singled out for such an arrangement in the first place). Seems as though the US federal Drug Enforcement Agency and the Dept of Justice--or at least clusters of govt. employees in both agencies--were involved.

Here's what DEA agent Manuel Castanon told the Chicago court:

"On March 17, 2009, I met for approximately 30 minutes in a hotel room in Mexico City with Vincente Zambada-Niebla and two other individuals — DEA agent David Herrod and a cooperating source [Sinaloa lawyer Loya Castro] with whom I had worked since 2005. ... I did all of the talking on behalf of [the] DEA."

A few hours later, Mexican Marines arrested Zambada-Niebla (a.k.a. "El Vicentillo") on charges of trafficking more than a billion dollars in cocaine and heroin. Castanon and three other agents then visited Zambada-Niebla in prison, where the Sinaloa officer "reiterated his desire to cooperate," according to Castanon.

El Universal, citing court documents, reports that DEA agents met with high-level Sinaloa officials more than 50 times since 2000.

Then-Justice Department prosecutor Patrick Hearn told the Chicago court that, according to DEA special agent Steve Fraga, Castro "provided information leading to a 23-ton cocaine seizure, other seizures related to" various drug trafficking organizations, and that "El Mayo" Zambada wanted his son to cooperate with the U.S.

"The DEA agents met with members of the cartel in Mexico to obtain information about their rivals and simultaneously built a network of informants who sign drug cooperation agreements, subject to results, to enable them to obtain future benefits, including cancellation of charges in the U.S.," reports El Universal, which also interviewed more than one hundred active and retired police officers as well as prisoners and experts.
                      Here's the English-language site where I found the quote above: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-u...-cartel-2014-1 There are others.

Comment

Working...
                      X