Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Song for Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagged
    A confused voice within
    • Mar 2004

A Song for Norway

Last Friday, a terrorist attack was made upon a group of teenagers and youngsters gathering on the little island of UtÙ‘ya close to Oslo in Norway. Some sixty teenagers were shot down by a guy who apparantly thought himself to be acting in the national interest.

While Scandinavia, like the rest of the Western world, has been occupied, maybe even obsessed, with the idea of protecting itself against the Saracen, the real danger -- as always -- was grown within. Breivik, a right-wing nationalist, seems to have planned for years the massacre on youngsters who happened to be rather main-stream, politically, for Norway.

I guess I could spew hatred all over Breivik here, but what's the use? It seems he was just a kid seduced by all the nationalist pompous rhetorics that embrace our whole world today. The kind of rhetorics that are leading us all to collective doom.

Yet, somehow, in the midst of all the violence and war, we must find hope. Thus, two brave people have been reported by eye-witnesses to face up to Breivik, if only to be shot down. They will be heroes forever, ranking with other heroes from Achilleus to Martin Luther King.

When faced with your enemy, you have to walk into your own time. During a bloody battle, you have to commit yourself to your cause. Maybe, in fear, unshielded and open, you'll ask yourself: "With what should I fight? What is my weapon?" Here is your shield against violence, here is your sword: The Faith in our Lives, in the Value of Human Beings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EvhU...eature=related
    Last edited by Jagged; 07-26-2011, 04:17 PM.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.
  • Jagged
    A confused voice within
    • Mar 2004

When faced with Mephisto, one can't really help wondering what's going on in his mind.

So far, I've only heard two things about Breivik's inner workings:

1) He has praised Lars von Trier, and
    2) He has praised Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

This could sound like I'm trying to, on behalf of the Danes, to steal Breivik's thunder. Well, believe you me, I'm not! I'm sure that people of any country will have read in their local papers some other reports...

...but still, a little comment may be in place.

ad 1) Trier's affection for the grand, the pompous and the theatrical, certainly explains some of it. Perhaps, Trier's little "I'm a nazi"-joke at a recent Cannes festival was misread as much by the pompous Breivik as the French jury. Trier must be cringing right now... in fact, I KNOW he is.

ad 2) I'm not sure if Anders Fogh has the talent of cringing. I don't think I've ever seen him display it. I've seen him scared like a little kid on the telly when he had to defend the Muhammed Cartoons, so I guess that was cringing, but I'm thinking of conscience here, not cowardice.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Working...
    X