Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dysfunctional Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThanosShadowsage
    Eternal Companion
    • Dec 2003

Dysfunctional Government

The term "dysfunctional government" has been thrown around a lot lately here in the United States. Some political analysts are even offering the idea that it is a good political tactic. But, pretty much across the board, Americans are pissed off about it. Obviously the logical answer for a democracy is to attempt to pass laws which make political gridlock strategies like this ineffective. But any attempt to do so would probably be met with the same resistance. Is the USA going to have a continuing problem?
  • opaloka
    digital serf 41221z/74
    • Jun 2006

I don't think so, this is just a time of transition when the GOP is falling apart in the same way the Democrats fell apart in 1968 and 72. During times of change the government always gridlocks as the old guard digs it's heels in until the floodgates open and they are washed away.

Comment

• Wolfshead
      Itinerent player of pasteboards
      • Sep 2008

Problem is, it's the young Turks causing the problems these days. The old guard would probably be more willing to compromise except they fear for their political lives.
      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

• Kymba334
        Eternal Champion
        • Jun 2011

U.S.A...on the way...out.

Give the Chinese Empire another generation and they will buy North America,unless the Americans can kick-start The Singularity;yet,I feel in my perhaps half-baked opinion that the likes of Sarah Palin and friends will try to sabotage that too.
        Tea Party,anyone?
        Last edited by Kymba334; 07-14-2011, 04:56 AM.
        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
          Jester, ret.
          • Mar 2009

Gridlock isn't always a bad thing, especially when it keeps the politicians from doing more stupid stuff.

Having had a ringside seat to the "Reagan Revolution" in the House in the early 80's, what strikes me about the current crop of freshman congressmen and women is how starkly ignorant they are about who has the power in Washington. It's like they did nothing prior to election but go to church rallies and watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

If historical patterns repeat, Mr. Obama will be re-elected in a landslide that will see the Republican party nearly vanish. Problem is, though, is that history rarely repeats patterns intact.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
          - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• Wolfshead
            • Sep 2008

I agree, gridlock isn't always a bad thing, look at what happened last decade when mostly everyone was on the same page. However the current situation where they are playing chicken with the solvency of the US debt can be a catastrophic situation not only here but worldwide. Just look at the problems Greece is causing. The part that I like is that the US may have to stop paying Social Security and such but that members of Congress have already set it up that they will get their paychecks.

I also agree that, as of right now, the GOP has no one to compete with Obama and that those likely to win early in the primaries will have little appeal to the center and independents in the general election but then again I never bet against the general stupidity of the sheeple. These days my nightmares consist of a winning ticket of Palin and Bachman just because people think they look cute and they sound like they make sense. Hey, Bush got elected because people thought he would be a good guy to go and have a beer with. Makes me wonder what it takes to become a Canuck even tho I'll probably run in to my ex up there under that scenario.
            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

• Wanderlust
              Lemon Curry?
              • Apr 2008

The Republik of Canuckistan is a beeg place, Wolfie. I'd not worry about running into her.

People think Bachmann is cute? What colour are the skies in their world, I wonder. She gives me the heebies.
              Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• ThanosShadowsage
                Eternal Companion
                • Dec 2003

I just don't like it when the attitude in Washington is like something from an elementary school playground "Screw you guys, I'm going home." especially since we're in an economic crisis with a deadline on defaulting. Our elected officials paying themselves for these shenanigans just adds insult to injury. And then I start hearing political commentators talk about how forcing a default might actually be good for the Republican party. How much are our politicians willing to sacrifice for a vote?

Comment

• Wolfshead
                  • Sep 2008

Thanos,

you, me,our kids and their future as long as they get to keep their jobs.

WL,

hell, how many people think she and/or Palin can actually govern? Thinking they are cute is the least of their delusions.
                  herb

Comment

• L'Etranger
                    Veteran Moorcockista
                    • Dec 2003

It is an interesting and frightening situation, this having a "dysfunctional government", and probably a disfunctional entire system. If this happens to someone living in your neighbourhood who you saw doing silly things for a long time and who lived extemely selfishly until he goes bankrupt you might say it serves him right.
                    In the case of America which stands for a lot of what we believe in (or are supposed to do so) it is a different thing. Apart from a number of things this neighbour has done or not done which are hair-raisingly appalling, in economical, ecological, political and philosophical fields, we do mind! We cannot shrug it off. And I am taken aback if you see all those creeps emerging who blame it allon Obama or on one party's incompetence. Blaming is cheap, offering true solutions need guts, vision, resolve and the ability to join up across the trenches of party politics.
                    Good luck America, though I fear from what I see in the news that a lot of people just decide to pile up more handguns to protect their hoards of food for the day when all breaks down.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                    X