Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Post-Chch earthquake petition, on mass unemployment following the Feb 22nd earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • In_Loos_Ptokai
    Abrogate all rituals
    • Apr 2007

Post-Chch earthquake petition, on mass unemployment following the Feb 22nd earthquake

Hi, folks. I came across this onine petition:
    http://www.petitiononline.co.nz/peti...g-feb-22nd/735

and I thought people might like to investigate it. Considering the free and abundant defamation of the unemployed that was rife in New Zealand during the eighties and the nineties, and which can still be felt today, I think the author's very restrained.
    In particular, we would appreciate examining the assertion that we only live in an earthquake-damaged city in order to draw the unemployment benefit, that we only lost our jobs from a series of earthquakes in order to draw the unemployment benefit, etc - which is what the assertion that the unemployed are only unemployed because they are workshy amounts to, once it is boiled down and analyzed.
    That in particular could have been more strongly worded.
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape
Working...
X