Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hanging in Japan / Execution

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging in Japan / Execution

Today two convicted murderers were hanged in Japan:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3654144.stm

It is sad that I didn't see a single voice of protest raised in this case, and in many before it: we cannot criticise only the USA for an objectionable practice and shut up if the same is implemented in another democratic country.
    I realise however that the Japanese have a strict and clever policy of not notifying the public (nor the relatives of the delinquent) of the date of execution - which is probably why Human Rights groups can't properly prepare a campaign.
    Google ergo sum

That's more than a little disturbing to me. I heard absolutely nothing about it until I read your post.

On a different thread, there was a discussion about the different set of rules the world in general, and the US in particular, has for Saudi Arabia. Seems we have a different set of rules for Japan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      That's more than a little disturbing to me. I heard absolutely nothing about it until I read your post.
      Several years ago, in August 1998, unnoticed by the world public a man named Nagayama Norio who had killed a man at the age of 19 was hanged 28 (!) years after the deed! He'd become a well known writer during these many years in death row. Imagine some 28 years in death row having to expect the execution any day! The usual practise is NOT to let the delinquent know until a few moments before the execution. He doesn't have a chance to say farewell to family and friends. Just a few people around the PEN Club took notice of the Nagayama Norio case, and amnesty international, but all too late to organize international protests effectively.
      http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index...pen&of=ENG-MWI

Originally posted by Doc
      On a different thread, there was a discussion about the different set of rules the world in general, and the US in particular, has for Saudi Arabia. Seems we have a different set of rules for Japan as well.
      Yes, obviously.

edited after I found the name and dates of this case
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Just a few people around the PEN Club took notice
        excuse my ignorance, but who are the PEN Club?
        \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

The PEN Club is perhaps the most prestigeous and important international association of writers fighting for authors' rights, freedom of expression etc.

http://www.internationalpen.org.uk/
          http://www.pen.org/general.html
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Thanks again (as usual) for the information, LE.

Makes you wonder how human rights organizations ignore some nations' policies until one instance raises everyone's attention. I'm reminded of the caning case in Singapore a few years back. People only objected to the practice when an American kid was going to be on the receiving end. Last I checked, Singapore is still very repressive, but few people are still outraged :?

Comment

Current analysis of Japanese death row inmates' situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8247319.stm
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...esty_japan.pdf
              Google ergo sum

Comment

I am happy to add my voice to those protesting the executions in Japan. And for me it's an easy choice as I don't think "the State" in any form has any business killing anybody. Many at PEN seem to agree.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid Sirius View Post
                  I am happy to add my voice to those protesting the executions in Japan. And for me it's an easy choice as I don't think "the State" in any form has any business killing anybody.
                  Ditto Lucius!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

If:
                    They deserve to die...
                    they die!

Some folk are not meant to walk this earth.

'tis a shame but 'tis true.

There are those among us meant to be examples. This is one of those.

Kill the killers.
                    Let the free people of the world live.
                    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Nah VA,i think if the killers are caught red-handed or theres stone-wall evidence against them they shouldnt be killed,thats too quick they should be made to suffer for what they did.
                      But you have to make sure no innocent people slip through the net,thats the problem i have with State retribution killings.
                      This happens too often.
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Everyone dies. Most are terrified of that prospect. But once you finally come to grips with the idea that you are going to die sometime, that can have a rather profound effect on a person. And those around them.

As for the moral arrogance of thinking that I can or could know who is "allowed" to live, well, I want no part of that. If when you're 70 you have finally gotten to know a good part of your own mind you're a lucky person. How much harder it is to know even a small fraction of someone else with whom one is acquainted. And how impossible it is to know people second, third or fourth-hand and by hearsay. Police don't lie on the stand? Please. People overcome by grief don't alter their recollections or put their energy into the anger that blindly demands blood even if the person they want it from is innocent? It's all happened before.

The New Yorker magazine recently ran a very well-researched story that purports that we have finally documented the fact that we, in the form of the State of Texas, have executed someone who was entirely innocent. This is an unforgivable sin by any definition or sense of those words.

There is right now over 6,000,000,000 people on the planet and keeping a few hundred or even a few thousand of the most violent incarcerated for their natural lives is not a small burden to pay if just one is innocent or even if none are. Like attracts like. If as a society we want to end violence we must stop being the instruments of violence, stop calling for the deaths of other people and become the sort of world we wish to live in.

And yes, this includes protesting the hanging of people in Japan!
                        Last edited by Lucid Sirius; 09-18-2009, 08:42 PM.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                        - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post
                          If:
                          They deserve to die...
                          they die!

'tis a shame but 'tis true.

There are those among us meant to be examples. This is one of those.

Kill the killers.
                          Let the free people of the world live.
                          If they deserve to die ... there's obviously not a consensus in this world whether this may be decided by men. Wherefore some countries still have the capital punishment and others (quite a large number incidently) take a different stance. Needless to say that I oppose capital punishment. While it is the right of each society to make their own decisions (even there I see exceptions though that could call for interventions like genocidial treatement of minorities, female genital mutilation etc), I think that those who are condemned should not be subjected to torture and inhuman treatment. Letting people wait for decades in death row with total uncertainty is definitely a form of psychological torture, for instance. It is also acceptable to protest and to show one's disapproval of the practice in those countries, likewise you do have the liberty to protest against the European position to have abolished capital punishment.

Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post
                          This is of course a statement that sounds like right out of a cheap Western movie and would give cause for quite an uproar if you hadn't meant it ironically.
                          Last edited by L'Etranger; 09-19-2009, 01:10 AM.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Does capital punishment work?

The Japanese must think it does, I am not sure, if this law was left over from the MacArthur occupation. Also not sure if China has a similar policy as well. My guess is that there is a majority of people in the UK, who would bring back hanging here if there was referendum, but our MPs do not want to vote for it.
                            Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Pebble, for your information on which countries still have the capital punishment:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...ment_by_nation

Re. China - the worst! They recently promissed to stop executing people in public ... ->

Last edited by L'Etranger; 09-19-2009, 01:10 AM.
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X