Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fracking Lancashire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW stopped testing in our province just recently, because people were blocking the roads on them and vandalizing equipment. Oh, they'll be back, our git of a premier says. In fact he just announced that he's going to spend tax dollars educating the people of our fair province on fracking. Yeah, because we're all so 'n stupid.

Check out this little tidbit:

Did Fracking Cause the Virginia Earthquake?

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Did...10823-993.html
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
      Originally posted by Nalga View Post
      Cameron must be a Yorkshireman.
      That sir is a joke in very poor taste.
      Not if you're from the correct side of the Pennines it isn't.
      Writing as a Yorkshiretrog I can definately say that Cameron is a spawn of some foul southern place in the multiverse. Not Yorkshire ( or more correctly "York Schuh") or Lancashire ( or more correctly Lanka Scheer)! I'll not have flying porcines dropping their aerial loads on us Northerners without unfolding my umbrella of righteous umbrage!
      "Mud and voles for my Lord Arioch!"
      Elric by the Riverbank

Comment

Cameron must be a Yorkshireman.
        That sir is a joke in very poor taste.
        Not if you're from the correct side of the Pennines it isn't.
        Writing as a Yorkshiretrog I can definately say that Cameron is a spawn of some foul southern place in the multiverse. Not Yorkshire ( or more correctly "York Schuh") or Lancashire ( or more correctly Lanka Scheer)! I'll not have flying porcines dropping their aerial loads on us Northerners without unfolding my umbrella of righteous umbrage!
        They do say that you should never ask a man if he's from Yorkshire. If he is, he's already told you and if he isn't, you've just insulted him!

Comment

Yet more bull' from our politicos in New Brunswick. This time, our environment minister is attacking The Conservation Council of NB, blaming them for inciting the protests against fracking, and vandalism of SW's property.

Blaney said the Conservation Council, an environmental group that has been opposed to hydro-fracking, has helped inspire road blockades by anti-fracking protestors.
          "It's escalating the level of emotion, and the Conservation Council was there at the blockade, so tacitly approving this type of behaviour is not who we are as a people, I don't believe, in New Brunswick, and the Conservation Council I think has something to answer for," said Blaney.
          SWN Resources Canada recently suspended its seismic testing for the season, blaming vandalism and other incidents.
          Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...uncil-305.html

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-15550458

Originally posted by BBC
            Fracking tests near Blackpool 'likely cause' of tremors

It is "highly probable" that shale gas test drilling triggered earth tremors in Lancashire, a study has found.

But the report, commissioned by energy firm Cuadrilla, also said the quakes were due to an "unusual combination of geology at the well site".

Comment

Fracking protesters stop drilling....

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...0252-29706103/

Comment

Earthquakes in Oklahoma Tied into Fracking?

http://coloradoindependent.com/10510...njection-wells

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

IANAL

but during the late eighties, while I was recovering from my TBI, I became intensely interested in Arms Control. Among the other factiods I unearthed, and which now form the mulch of whatever passes for my mind I discovered The Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques - which may or may not interest you.

It's just that Fracking sounds horribly like one of the things, the hostile uses of environmental modification techniques that this Environment Modification Convention was intended to prohibit. Eg, Article 2:
                  As used in Article I, the term "environmental modification techniques" refers to any technique for changing -- through the deliberate manipulation of natural processes -- the dynamics, composition or structure of the Earth, including its biota, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, or of outer space.

And what is Fracking but a technique for changing the dynamics and composition and structure of the lithosphere - the underlying geology, the underground rock structure of a given location?

When you ally that to the horror stories of people drinking petroleum-flavoured water from their artesian wells and the like, and you also read of the attitude of the companies and government agencies concerned, it seems obvious that its use is in fact hostile.

About the only point where a lawyer could claim that this ENMOD convention has nothing to do with the environmental horrors of Fracking, is that phrase at the end of article I:1:
                  as the means of destruction, damage or injury to any other State Party.

But the general rule is that if you declare you won't do such-and-such to your worst enemy, you're also expected not to do it to your friends - or dependents. And Article I:1 is quite specific on the results that are outlawed:
                  Each State Party to this Convention undertakes not to engage in military or any other hostile use of environmental modification techniques having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects
                  Find some good lawyers and let's get this show on the road! IANAL!!!
                  sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                  And incense the power of man with God
                  But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                  And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                  by Peter Cape

Comment

Just up on the BBC:

Fracking 'should continue with checks'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17726538

Originally posted by BBC
                    A controversial gas extraction method which triggered two earth tremors near Blackpool last year should continue, but under strict conditions, a government-named panel of experts says.

Comment

Its not all bad news mind you...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s..._medium=email/
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

as reading burrowers beneath by brian lumley at the moment the peice did make me chuckle
                        come to the dark side we have cookies

Comment

Darryl Cunningham, writer/artist of the acclaimed Psychiatric Tales and Science Tales, has posted three draft pages from a strip he's working on about fracking

http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.co...-fracking.html

Comment

Further to my post above, Darryl Cunningham has now finished his strip on fracking and has put the 'beta version' on his site

http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.co...racturing.html

Comment

Working...
                            X