Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Call Me Kuchu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dylerpillar
    Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
    • Aug 2008

Call Me Kuchu

Link to the project here. Another Kickstarter number.

Excerpt from description:

Fear permeates the daily lives of Kampala’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender men and women, or “kuchus.” Newspapers scream such headlines as, “HOMO TERROR! We Name and Shame Top Gays in the City,” and a sodomy conviction all too often results in a prison sentence.

On the outskirts of town, in a small, unmarked office at the end of a dirt track, subsistence farmer and veteran activist David Kato labors to repeal Uganda’s homophobic laws and liberate his fellow kuchus. But David’s formidable task just became exponentially harder: a new “Anti-Homosexuality Bill” in Uganda’s Parliament proposes a prison sentence for anyone who fails to turn in a gay family member, and, having christened Uganda ground zero in their war on the “homosexual agenda,” U.S. evangelicals now frequent the church halls and universities of Kampala to hold prayer rallies and ordain local bishops. As if this weren’t enough, photos of David’s friend Stosh, an HIV+ transman, are plastered across a local tabloid, forcing him into hiding. In the midst of this chaos, it falls to the indignant and foulmouthed David, along with an idiosyncratic clan of fellow activists, to fight for Kampala’s kuchus in the press, in the churches, and in the courts, where they launch a landmark lawsuit against a gay-bashing tabloid.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985
  • L'Etranger
    Veteran Moorcockista
    • Dec 2003

While it was no fun to be homosexual in our western societies until no so many years back (still a fragile matter I guess) I think it must be a particular horror to lead a life as a homo/lesbian/transexual in a society in which Order feels so threatened by any perceived deviation from the path of masculinity.
    Poor people.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

• Wanderlust
      Lemon Curry?
      • Apr 2008

Terrible situation for these poor folk.
      Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• dylerpillar
        • Aug 2008

94% funded. 14 days left. I think this one's going to do all right.

Comment

• dylerpillar
          • Aug 2008

Officially 105% funded with 9 days to go. The fact that this petition on a similiar issue is going around, probably boosted the cause.

Comment

Working...
          X