Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Bradley Manning allegedly being tortured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opaloka clarification

Thanks so much for the clarifying remarks-it changes my mind that maybe he might be found not guilty or not guilty of anything which will merit great punishment. I am glad somebody"s.
    "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

I certainly hope you're right wiredwulff and they don't make an example out of him with a bunch of jail time. At the same time I personally hate the idea that he'll be some kind of celebrity with a book deal or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
        The information Manning allegedly handed over to WL . . . .
        I would just like to remind everyone that in no way have I ever received any such leaked documents.

Sorry, just had to inject some levity.
        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You know if you deny it, they'll just come for you in the night, just in case.

Comment

Books deals yarrg!

A book deal!?Opaloka? the age of information in high gear! I can see that he might be the kind of guy to go that way afterwards...with what he said about information. Maybe if he's found guilty and does time we would get a blog all the same if they allowed him computer access [kinder and gentle er nation and all...] . Levity ...is not that something to do with bread? they will come and put you on the island with Rovers Number 86[Wanderlust].
            Last edited by wiredwullff; 05-09-2011, 03:38 PM.
            "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

I would just like to add that after much consideration, inner-reflection and more investigation, I am changing my stance on what I think about Manning.

While I *still* think that Manning is a POS(Piece of Sh*t), what he did was actually honorable and necessary.

I consider myself a very stong "Constitutionalist" and I have to admit that what Manning did took Balls (yes, with a capital "B").

Big fat brass ones.

After much thought, reflection and soul searching, I can honestly say that I would probably have done the same thing, had I been in his position.

Bottom line is that he exposed corruption and should be applauded for that.

Good for him.

Crow!

It's whats' for dinner.
              Last edited by Vazkar Asquinol; 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM.
              "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I will help you become that." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind." -Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The manning movie is already out!

I do not know if Mr. Manning will see money or not out of it-but a movie by the name "The Forgotten Man" has been seen by yours truly on the net, for money! it seems some concerned person came forward and made a movie before its all said and done-but it seems to me if the point is to raise concern it should be free, costing money to make they could ask for donations to make it free...or tell us the money made would in large part at least go to his defense...it just appears that it's there to capitalize and make money off of someone who is in a bind-his own doing or not. just looks that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post
                  I would just like to add that after much consideration, inner-reflection and more investigation, I am changing my stance on what I think about Manning.

While I *still* think that Manning is a POS(Piece of Sh*t), what he did was actually honorable and necessary.

I consider myself a very stong "Constitutionalist" and I have to admit that what Manning did took Balls (yes, with a capital "B").

Big fat brass ones.

After much thought, reflection and soul searching, I can honestly say that I would probably have done the same thing, had I been in his position.

Good for him.

Crow!

It's whats' for dinner.
                  LOVE IT!-MANNING- a POS with BIG FAT BRASS BALLS! now THAT'S AMORI[Thanks Dean Martin]. And as a afterthought: people who could be described that way make a fairly large club.
                  Last edited by wiredwullff; 05-24-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vazkar Asquinol View Post

Big fat brass ones.

Good for him.

Crow!

It's whats' for dinner.
                    My sincere compliments on the ability to shift perspective after looking into this complicated and burdoned matter and having the good bearing to say so.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

I saw a good movie recently called 'Valkyrie' which deals with officers who had sworn an oath to a government committing atrocities. It deals with some of the same issues we are talking about here, but IMO there is very little paralell to the current situation with Manning and the US Government.

I have to change my POV a little though, for Assange at least it's not about the ideology, it's about the profit:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/nda-wikileaks/

Just another information broker, like so many corporations now, using ideology to make money, and taking advantage of young and idealistic people like Manning who will pay for being conned by these people.

Comment

While folks are admitting to revising theior opinions, I have to join in. When the whole wikileaks thing started I must admit that I felt I needed to defend Assange and wikileaks. Within a few days, however, and really that much research, it became pretty clear to me that Assange is a giant douche, and that the most likely reason for the rape charges against him isn't a government conspiricy, the most likely reason is that he coerced 2 women into having sex with him. Obviously he deserves a fair trial, but bassed on other aspects of his character and past behaviour, really wont be shocked if the case turns out to be pretty straight forward and results in conviction.
                        Bassically seems that Assange's real interest is Assange.
                        Still pro-wikileaks though.

Comment

Mind you, this can be about many things:
                          * Treason vs revealing of troubling wrong-doings by a government.
                          * Assange
                          * the practise of torture and torture-like ways of treating an accused or imprisoned personed.
                          To begin with I am against torture under any circumstances and against impunity for those who exert it, police, military, doctors (you'd be surprised how many medical personel are involved in this) and opposing militant groups (certainly Hamas can be named in this context).

We, the "West" can only convince our enemies by sticking to the ideals we have agreed on as worth fighting for. Everything else (Abu Ghraib!) are serious setbacks for our credibility.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

"We Steal Secrets" is a documentary on Netflix now.

It talks about some of this.

The Wikileaks debate and helicopter video is on there, and the torture of Manning.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                            X