Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Agri-tecture training for women in rural Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dylerpillar
    Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
    • Aug 2008

Agri-tecture training for women in rural Mexico

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omen-in-mexico

The Agri-tecture team will be working alongside 20 women in the indigenous village of San Juan Mixtepec, in the State of Oaxaca, to design and construct an off the grid building made from appropriate materials such as clay and bamboo. This training program and prototype will be the foundation to building a social enterprise.
    To increase visibility of the project we will produce a stop frame animation of the projects evolution, interviews with the women and a series of large format photographs, Why Focus on Women In this town 60% of the men, mostly youths and family heads between 18 and 35 immigrate, mainly to the United States. 84.5% do not return.

A goal of $5000 total. 37% funded. 9 days left. Can they do it?

I think the description could have used a grammar brush-up, but altogether I like the concept. Click through the link and there's more about what this structure is, what's neat about it, and what it does.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985
  • Wanderlust
    Lemon Curry?
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by dylerpillar View Post
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omen-in-mexico

The Agri-tecture team will be working alongside 20 women in the indigenous village of San Juan Mixtepec, in the State of Oaxaca, to design and construct an off the grid building made from appropriate materials such as clay and bamboo. This training program and prototype will be the foundation to building a social enterprise.
    To increase visibility of the project we will produce a stop frame animation of the projects evolution, interviews with the women and a series of large format photographs, Why Focus on Women In this town 60% of the men, mostly youths and family heads between 18 and 35 immigrate, mainly to the United States. 84.5% do not return.

A goal of $5000 total. 37% funded. 9 days left. Can they do it?

I think the description could have used a grammar brush-up, but altogether I like the concept. Click through the link and there's more about what this structure is, what's neat about it, and what it does.
    Cheers, Dyler. My wife/partner/boss and I thank you for the liink.

Edit --- We've both posted this to our respective Crackbook pages.
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
      Reconstructulator
      • Aug 2009

Small world...I'd never heard of Kickstarter til this thread, and I've just read info on their website and sawthat one of their partners is the Pratt art school, which is a 5 minute walk from the drawbridge of Castle Crank.

Comment

• dylerpillar
        • Aug 2008

The Granito thread is Kickstarter related as well. Provided that the link works. Nobody tells me it's broken!

I've been on a "kick" you could say, supporting 11 projects total. 1 is canceled, most have succeeded or are exceeding their goals, and the only projects not yet clinched to succeed are this one, Granito, and a pair of others that have more than a month left to go that I'm not worried about.

It's just that most other projects I've supported are art related. Most have some social consciousness component, but this one is the most physical, most out-there-in-the-field. I'm less likely to post a thread here to support a Toronto-area band's album production, for example.

Comment

• dylerpillar
          • Aug 2008

Update

Cameron provides a full explanation. One-line summary: They already started building but they're about $1769 short with 6 days left to go.

Adobe women not waiting. They build.

By Cameron Sinclair
          Hmm, how do you explain the kickstarter process to a collective of women who are re-imagining there community? Given the global focus on larger and more pressing issues it is fantastic that we are 40% there. BRAVO!
          However - 1. we only have 6 days to go. 2. the women have started building!
          We know a lot of people are focused on Japan and my organization has a large number of team members on the ground there BUT 20 women are in Mexico collaborating with natural builders and architects - to build the future they want to see.
          So what do we need to do. We need 50 people to pledge $50. so let's tell ten friends. and ask them to contribute or tell friends, and we will make it.
          or click the twitter/facebook links and let's see what happens.

In my e-mail version, it's followed by what looks like dozens of photos of them actually making the bricks and stuff.
          I thought I had marked my donation ceiling for this one but I'm contemplating nudging it up further. Even so, that outstanding amount is larger than I can stand to make and I wouldn't expect it of anybody else, so hopefully this one is making the rounds.
          Last edited by dylerpillar; 03-22-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• dylerpillar
            • Aug 2008

88% funded, 3 days to go. Probably the last update I'll make before the outcome is set. They're short about $573.

Comment

• Wanderlust
              Lemon Curry?
              • Apr 2008

88% funded, 3 days to go. Probably the last update I'll make before the outcome is set. They're short about $573.
              I've sent a few more tendrils out there, DP. Thanks for the reminder.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• dylerpillar
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                I've sent a few more tendrils out there, DP. Thanks for the reminder.
                Thanks! It's hopped up to 91% and I feel positive that they can close the gap. These projects teach me that a lot can happen in the last 48 hours. I don't think this project was getting the publicity of Granito on account of it doesn't get screened at film festivals or anything, so I was more concerned before.

Comment

• Wanderlust
                  Lemon Curry?
                  • Apr 2008

We just got ours in -- neglecting it the on the first heads up. I've got a few more Islanders spreading news. Let's hope some folks skip that Tim's or StarB's today and send the cash elsewhere.

edit --- not that we have either of said caffeine shops on this rock.
                  Last edited by Wanderlust; 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• dylerpillar
                    • Aug 2008

Yes, I think I see some familiar activity and suggestions. Well, we'll see what happens.

Comment

• dylerpillar
                      • Aug 2008

The goal was just exceeded today; 101% funding and holding steady. Thank you WL and everyone else who had a look, passed it around, made sure this project could succeed. I hope it's the first project of many of its kind.

Comment

• Wanderlust
                        Lemon Curry?
                        • Apr 2008

Nice to hear some good news for a change, what?

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• dylerpillar
                          • Aug 2008

This is a link pertinent to the larger movement, of which this one project was a single part.

http://eng-adobeforwomen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X