Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Whatever happened to Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill
    "In this era, there is no Hitler. Was Saddam like Hitler?"

How do you define that? Unless you are strictly counting numbers, why isn't he?
    Well, for one thing Saddam had been staying inside his country ever since Kuwait many years earlier, and even that was an extraordinary case. Hitler was expanding his reign of terror farther and farther beyond his own country. I think that's a striking difference.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

I highly recommend this one, in order to get a bigger, clearer picture of what happened...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...316422-8610520
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

I want to bring up Weapons of Mass Destruction Program Related Activities (WMDPRAs) again, lest we forget that term.

This is the term Bush spouted several times during his (first? I believe) State of the Union Address. Back in January.
        This was when there were strong doubts that Iraq had WMDs as the weapons inspectors weren't finding any large stockpiles that the Bush admin. claimed (insisted) existed there. Just consider Powell's address to the United Nations, lest you forget.

So Bush went from WMDs, to WMDPRAs, to "The Iraqui people want to be free from a madman" as the primary reason for war.
        (And if that doesn't work, just have Cheney insist that Iraq was tied to 9/11/01.)

I did a little googling and here's what came up...

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0123-12.htm

Ex-Arms Hunter Kay Says No WMD Stockpiles in Iraq

"WASHINGTON - David Kay stepped down as leader of the U.S. hunt for banned weapons in Iraq on Friday and said he did not believe the country had any large stockpiles of chemical or biological weapons."
        and
        This one apparantly shows how the term WMDPRAs was created...

http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/mov...es/000089.html

Comment

"Bill... you're really too good for such a line of argument. You put your case, and that doesn't make me claim you don't try to understand mine."

I'm sorry, I don't follow. But my point wasn't meant personally, or to say that you don't understand my position, but generically. There are a LOT of people - Left AND Right - that simply cannot fathom anything other than their own point of view. Anything that runs counter is an enemy to be destroyed, picked apart, or spun.

Name me ONE PERSON on this forum (besides me) who has significantly modified their position based on either the discussion here or general information.

NOT ONE. We don't read or process information with the intent of broadening our horizons, we read and process information to bolster our convictions.

Comment

Name me ONE PERSON on this forum (besides me) who has significantly modified their position based on either the discussion here or general information.

NOT ONE.
            Wrong. I'm one. Right now, though, the only example I can locate isn't all that political. It was when L'Etranger turned me around on my opinion that countries with pre-existing unsportsmanlike policies should be summarily barred from the Olympics.

[broken link]

But, I know I have conceded to more than one of your points, Bill. The demons have ear-muffs at the ready to prove it. :)

We don't read or process information with the intent of broadening our horizons, we read and process information to bolster our convictions.
            Speak for yourself. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm frequently wrong about things. If I knew I was right about everything, I wouldn't need these conversations/debates.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Damn, Psychic, I must be typing too fast; you keep (rightfully) pointing out these huge loopholes in my posts today. But do you see my point in the world at large? The Al Franken's and Rush Limbaugh's of the world do not, to me, appear to big on self-reflection.

Comment

To quote Paul Simon "A man hears what he wants to hear and disreguards the rest."

Comment

I know how it goes, believe me. My parents are precisely that type of personality. (Yes, they are die-hard right-wingers.)

Comment

The Al Franken's and Rush Limbaugh's of the world do not, to me, appear to big on self-reflection.
                    OH REALLY?? And just how many times have you actually listened to Al Franken's show?

Hmmm???

Because as a regular listener, I can tell you that he most assuredly is self-reflective. That does not mean his is changing his convictions, but he is educated and self-depreciating enough to not take himself too seriously.

He even has a segment called "Today's Boring Corrections" where he corrects any misinformation he has given when pointed out by a listener or someone on the blog.

Rush, on the other hand, is a big, fat, lying, hypocritical bastard.

But then again, that's just my humble opinion.

Comment

Al Frakin is a twit. He's the only person I know who can say "I'm playing a idiot, but he's a new kind of idiot." and then play the same character he's done in everything he's been in. I have no respect for anyone who writes a book with a grade school insult as a title even if it was "Hitler is a DooDoo Head" it's still juvenile.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
                        I have no respect for anyone who writes a book with a grade school insult as a title even if it was "Hitler is a DooDoo Head" it's still juvenile.
                        And I have no respect for someone who calls people names as though they never graduated from first grade. You know, like "twit". So much intelligence there. Puhleeze

Comment

Then you shouldn't be pimping Al Fraken.
                          Originally posted by Sofonda
                          I have no respect for anyone who writes a book with a grade school insult as a title even if it was "Hitler is a DooDoo Head" it's still juvenile.
                          And I have no respect for someone who calls people names as though they never graduated from first grade. You know, like "twit". So much intelligence there. Puhleeze

Comment

See what I mean??? Tee hee. Ideology clouds all. I DO listen to Al Franken, and correcting a misstatement is NOT the same as constantly re-evaluating one's position and adapting it to the circumstances in which we find ourselves.

Comment

Then you shouldn't be pimping Al Frakin.
                              *unable to hold his tongue any longer, PWV bleats*

Dude, it's FRANKEN.

And you're acting like a troll, Kitsune. You've mentioned twice now in other threads that it's boring when everyone agrees. This is the wrong way to get your beloved disagreement.

Start saying things of substance and, for crying out loud, open a dictionary! I'm sure I'm not the only one here who rolls their eyes every time you pipe up with some banal comment, misspelling the most rudimentary words.

By the way, dictionary.com defines "twit" as "a foolishly annoying person". Seems to me your assessment of Al Franken is a case of pot and kettle.

*shuffles off grumbling, in search of coffee*

Comment

Kitsune....I listen to Al for many reasons, but primarily because I think he is funny. It's called having a sense of humor. Obviously something you should really check out sometime.

Look, my original post was meant as an inside joke for someone else. I regret making it in the public domain but I could not get my private messages to work. I apologize for that.

Bill, I'm happy to hear that you've heard Franken's show. And you are correct in what you said. But he does have segments regularly where he invites people who "hate" him to come on the air and have some intelligent discourse, and eat some great BBQ while doing it. I think he is very sensitive to the issues and to where people of all beliefs are coming from.

So Kitsune....are you on the site's official welcoming comittee? Well, keep up the good work! Not.

Comment

Working...
                                X