Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Changing the rhetoric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nalpak retrac
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    I just had a conversation with my chair about faculty who have stopped reading (let alone writing), and how it shows up in their teaching, especially when they rely solely on their credentials to make all of their points.
    Oh, Doc, Doc, Doc.... Stuff like this only encourages me! :P

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    My neighbor has a couch sitting on his driveway.
    There's a sign on it that says: FREE.

It's colored navy blue, with stripes in the center of the cusions that are colored tan and brown... hmmm... now that I think of it the browns probably weren't there originally. But still, it's not the worst couch I've ever seen.

C'mon. It's free!

Got more room in your office, Doc?

Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
    Thanks, Carter. That's probably the best part of Annie Hall. (It's got some other
    moments, too, of course.) It's been years since I saw the movie.

When does some one pop into the forum to pull rank on Doc? Whom would we
    nominate? Karl Marx is no longer available, unfortunately. Perhaps we could get
    John Kenneth Galbraith to dodder on stage. I can hear it now: "Under capitalism,
    man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite."

LSN

Anyone can and should pull rank on me at any time. My degrees are silly pieces of paper, and my position is largely a big soapbox. Especially now that I've taken to talking to furniture. :lol: The benches await me!

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Originally posted by Doc
    I just had a conversation with my chair about faculty who have stopped reading (let alone writing), and how it shows up in their teaching, especially when they rely solely on their credentials to make all of their points.
    If you've started talking to the furniture, Doc, I think it's time for you to put the books away and get some fresh air. :D
    Perhaps, like Cabell's John Charteris in Beyond Life, he's determined to lecture
    to bare benches, if necessary. ;)

LSN

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    If you've started talking to the furniture, Doc, I think it's time for you to put the books away and get some fresh air. :D

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Thanks, Carter. That's probably the best part of Annie Hall. (It's got some other
    moments, too, of course.) It's been years since I saw the movie.

When does some one pop into the forum to pull rank on Doc? Whom would we
    nominate? Karl Marx is no longer available, unfortunately. Perhaps we could get
    John Kenneth Galbraith to dodder on stage. I can hear it now: "Under capitalism,
    man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite."

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    That's priceless, Carter. I just had a conversation with my chair about faculty who have stopped reading (let alone writing), and how it shows up in their teaching, especially when they rely solely on their credentials to make all of their points.

Leave a comment:

• nalpak retrac
    replied
    Annie Hall

Originally posted by Doc
    Wait! I'm teaching this stuff in college. Can't I have the last word? :lol:
    Just hold on there Doc!

ALVY
    I mean, d- He can give you- Do you hafta
    give it so loud? I mean, aren't you ashamed
    to pontificate like that? And-and the funny
    part of it is, M-Marshall McLuhan, you don't
    know anything about Marshall McLuhan's...work!

MAN IN LINE
    (Overlapping)
    Wait a minute! Really? Really? I happen to
    teach a class at Columbia called "TV Media
    and Culture"! So I think that my insights
    into Mr. McLuhan-well, have a great deal of
    validity.

ALVY
    Oh, do yuh?

MAN IN LINE
    Yes.

ALVY
    Well, that's funny, because I happen to
    have Mr. McLuhan right here. So ... so,
    here, just let me-I mean, all right. Come
    over here ... a second.

Alvy gestures to the camera which follows him and the man in line to the back
    of the crowded lobby. He moves over to a large stand-up movie poster and
    pulls Marshall McLuban from behind the poster.

MAN IN LINE
    Oh.

ALVY
    (To McLuban)
    Tell him.

MCLUHAN
    (To the man in line)
    I hear-I heard what you were saying.
    You-you know nothing of my work. You
    mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you
    ever got to teach a course in anything is
    totally amazing.

ALVY
    (To the camera)
    Boy, if life were only like this!

:lol:

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    You can just be happy that a certain guy's on "vacation", or he'd have the final word, I'm sure, Doc!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Wait! I'm teaching this stuff in college. Can't I have the last word? :lol:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mikey_C
    Originally posted by CaseClosed
    Originally posted by DL
    I had to research this stuff in college so I know what I'm talking about.
    Well, that's certainly the last word on this topic then.
    Well, I'm doing this stuff at college right now and getting told the opposite! :roll:
    Well, there you have it! That's certainly the last word on this topic then. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I have no problem saying I'm not Mr. Economics, but
    I am pretty good at paying attention to what's going on around me.

In fact, I was just talking to a very smart and well informed person who does understand economics, politics, and foreign affairs.
    He told me the following is happening to the economy... actually, the effect big corporations are having on the economy (perhaps why trickle down economics does not work)...

he drew an x-axis, which designates time. He drew two curves going upward, almost asymtotically, one labelled M, the other labelled F. The line M curved upward faster over time than F.

Then he drew an asymptotically curved line in the opposite, negative direction, and labelled it P.

From what I got listening to the guy, the Y axis represents growth and investment.
    Now here's what the letters mean...
    M = money. The money used by the corporations. The F-- if I remember correctly-- which lags slightly behind the money in time, but goes just as positively curved asymptotically as the money are financial Assets.

the great negative curve, P = the physical economy.

So what we have is the great investments in money and tremendous growth in assets of these big corporations coincidentally results in the collapse of the physical economy.

The guy made it a point that these corporations' growth in assets is so fast and tremendous at this point that the printing of money can't keep up with the growth.

I may not be well-versed in economics, but I do know a bit about business, and politics at this point. I think a lot of us on here can accept such a graph and understand how and why it's true. Such things have been discussed plenty of times on here.

The guy I talked to was a representative of LaRouche-Political Action Committee (PAC). Lyndon LaRouche is an economist.

http://www.larouchepac.com/pages/pre...22_ecostup.htm

"Sept. 22 — The first copies of LaRouche PAC's new pamphlet, "It's the Physical Economy, Stupid!", came off the press today, and will soon be flooding Ohio, and other crucial swing states across the nation. The first run of the 32 page pamphlet was 200,000 copies, which are expected to be only the first of a million or more."

I look forward to reading the literature I got.
    Oh look! Bullet trains is part of LaRouche's solution to our problems!
    C'mon! you know we need major infrastructure improvements among A LOT of things

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...q=LaRouche+PAC

if the truth be known....

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    Originally posted by CaseClosed
    Originally posted by DL
    Well, I'm doing this stuff at college right now and getting told the opposite! :roll:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by DL

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    So why is our economy so crappy then? Why is there such a gigantic debt?

Surely it can't all be Clinton's fault and the dems and liberals can it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X