Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sonic Attack At G20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voilodian ghagnasdiak
    Warrior On The Edge
    • Jun 2006

Sonic Attack At G20

The protestors of the G20 Summit won a court injunction on Fri. restricting police from the use of sound cannons as a crowd control tool.
    Whether it be the New World Order conspiracy theory they're protesting against or the war in Afghanistan, this still seems to be an inhumane weapon regardless of it not leaving any evidence of physical damage to a persons body.
    They've already got their guns, bats, tasers, mace, etc...
    Let's leave this one on the prototype shelf in case of future alien invasions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65O3TM20100625
  • dylerpillar
    Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
    • Aug 2008

I know that thing would give the Venom symbiote a serious problem. Unfortunately for the maker, this isn't the Marvel Comics universe.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
      Warrior On The Edge
      • Jun 2006

Police had the LRAD pointed at protesters on Queen St. last night.
      The CBC newscaster stated that law enforcement agencies are allowed to use these devices if the situation warrants so.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        • Jun 2007

I find this revolting, VG. But, living in a country where it takes a lot of time in corrupt courts to erode the protections of a written constitution, I have to say I was well and truly horrified by the cabinets sleight of hand with the power of arrest. Any Clash fan can tell you that is an open invitation to real ugliness:

"The lawful force are here of course
        For special offenders for the special court
        But the young men know when the sun has set
        Darkness comes to settle the debt
        Owed by a year of S.U.S. and suspect
        Indiscriminate use of the power of arrest

They're waiting for the sun to set"

The Clash - Let's Go Crazy - Sandinista!
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
          Reconstructulator
          • Aug 2009

In Norman Spinrad's Russian Spring, wasn't there a sonic cannon mounted atop an embassy building that was used by US Marines to make Parisian anti-US demonstrators soil themselves and flee?

Hang on...heading to bookshelf...Yep! Starting at p. 235: "neuronic disrupters."

Comment

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
            Warrior On The Edge
            • Jun 2006

I don't ever want any itchy-trigger-fingered cop pointing such a device at me whilst I'm trapped in a crowd at a concert or sporting event.
            This is way too much power to put into the hands of a single individual in my opinion.
            Teenage hippy problems?....Send out Constable Erekose and the genocide squad.
            Mike really was looking from the future, living in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

Comment

• johneffay
              Born Again Nihilist
              • Sep 2005

LRADs have been around for some time now. I don't think that this is their first appearance at a G20. The US military have long been using them in their Middle Eastern theatres. Apparently, they also used them for 'crowd control' on the poor sods who were caught up in in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Comment

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
                Warrior On The Edge
                • Jun 2006

I knew the sound cannon had been deployed by the US Navy and other armed forces.
                The US police forces have also used these devices at previous G20 protests, but I've never seen them used in Canada before.
                I have sampled police crowd control methods at 2/3 day rock festivals.
                I've been trapped in standing crowds in sweltering heat where lines of police on horseback pushed their mounts against the front row and compressed everyone against a concrete wall (and each other).
                I can't begin to imagine a high frequency squeal encompassing me whilst already being trapped in such an uncompromising situation.
                This is one experience I'll pass by thank-you.
                I say police already have ample destructive force to experiment with upon defenseless taxpayers.

Comment

Working...
                X