Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lemec
    Eternal Champion
    • Jul 2005

Untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan

US finds mineral riches in Afghanistan

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...PVksAD9GAU6U02

A team of U.S. geologists and Pentagon officials has discovered vast mineral wealth in Afghanistan, conceivably enough to turn the scarred and impoverished country into one of the world's most lucrative mining centers, The New York Times reports."There is stunning potential here," Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, told the paper in a report published Monday. "There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant."
    Americans discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, including iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium, according to the report. The Times quoted a Pentagon memo as saying Afghanistan could become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium," a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and cell phones.
    During a visit last month to Washington, Afghan President Hamid Karzai said his nation's untapped mineral deposits could be even higher — perhaps as much as $3 trillion.
    The mineral resources are a "massive opportunity," Karzai said at a May 13 event with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton held at the U.S. Institute of Peace.
    The report in the Times said the U.S. Geological Survey began aerial surveys of Afghanistan's mineral resources in 2006, using data that had been collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s. Promising results led to a more sophisticated study the next year.
    Then last year, a Pentagon task force that had created business development programs in Iraq arrived in Afghanistan and closely analyzed the geologists' findings. U.S. mining experts were brought in to validate the survey's conclusions, and top U.S. and Afghan officials were briefed.
    So far, the biggest mineral deposits discovered are of iron and copper, but finds include large deposits of niobium, a soft metal used in producing superconducting steel, as well as rare earth elements and large gold deposits in Pashtun areas of southern Afghanistan, the report said.
    In an op-ed published last month in a London newspaper, former Afghan finance minister Ashraf Ghani, wrote: "Afghanistan is rich in minerals including copper, iron, marble, chromite, manganese and emeralds. With good governance in place, these assets can generate funds."
    I am very curious to see what happens next in this.

I wonder in what ways Afghanistan will be helped by having the newfound wealth.

I speculate on which countries will be involved with mining equipment, transportation etc.

I wonder who all will fill their pockets?

There are many thoughts I have.

I expect a few conspiracy theories to sprout from this find.

What do you think?

Let us debate and explore the angles:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock
  • Nathaniel
    Champion of the Balance
    • Nov 2006

I have a sneaking suspicion that that the chance of the people of Afganistan benifiting from this are about the same as the chances of a paper dog chasing an asbestos cat through hell.

Comment

• L'Etranger
      Veteran Moorcockista
      • Dec 2003

Ah, now NATO will stay for long. Strategies will change, Human Rights will be secondary or third rate aims, as long as we are among those sitting on the goodies...
      Google ergo sum

Comment

• johneffay
        Born Again Nihilist
        • Sep 2005

My friends, you're being too cynical! Surely Afghanistan's new-found mineral wealth will go towards alleviating poverty and hardship for the entire population, just like what happened in South Africa.

Oh, hang on...

Comment

• lemec
          Eternal Champion
          • Jul 2005

It's good to see that I was not reading too much in between the lines.

I am not alone in this way of reasoning.

a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and cell phones
          This sentence also seems to be a little too convenient or coincidental, all of the sudden they have something the 'major powers' need, and something that is now valuable in these modern times, something not needed as much as it was before.

U.S. Geological Survey began aerial surveys of Afghanistan's mineral resources in 2006, using data that had been collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s
          It would appear that someone's eye has been on seeking treasures for a very long time. I could say there is some hidden motives/agendas going on here.

In truth, it almost reads that outside governments have been looking for the right time to reap the rewards of a discovery they probably knew of since the 1980's, or at least knew of a possible great potential. They knew something was there, just not quite sure what it was and how they could profit from it.

Could this be another reason, or the primary reason, why the United States stayed in Afghanistan for these many years? They had to remain until the minerals were found, needed to confirm a solid location. That one is for the conspiracy theorists.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• thingfish
            sairfecht
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            I have a sneaking suspicion that that the chance of the people of Afganistan benifiting from this are about the same as the chances of a paper dog chasing an asbestos cat through hell.
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
              Reconstructulator
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lemec View Post
              Could this be another reason, or the primary reason, why the United States stayed in Afghanistan for these many years? They had to remain until the minerals were found, needed to confirm a solid location. That one is for the conspiracy theorists.
              Or, at long last, a clear explanation for an occupation policy that has never been clearly explained by countless employees of two US presidential administrations that have represented both of the major US political parties over the course of nearly a decade's worth of US occupation.

Sign me up as a theorist.

Comment

Working...
              X