Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fahrenheit continued... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't ask for more than that. :lol:

It's a fair question, though.

Comment

I think you're dead right. In any debate, you can't have it both ways, and I agree that too many people have tried to do exaclty that with respect to this situation.

For what it's worth, I wasn't happy with French bashing when it seemed to be in vogue, especially because too many people were equating pro-French with anti-American. At a different level it seemed like too many people were criticizing the French for wanting to diplomatically protect some of their interests at the expense of the US's political will. However, France and Russia aren't blameless, as they tacitly supported a dictator and by default his policies and his power, which ultimately gave Bush a reason for war.

I guess what I'm saying is that there may be a difference between being opposed to diplomatic action and being opposed to war. For some (I think), some seeming inconsistency is deeply rooted in oppostion to W's methods of pursuing American interests, rather than opposing any nation's right to pursue their own interests.

Maybe I'll make better sense tomorrow.

Comment

I think you are right; I think one's analysis really comes down to how you view your fellow neighbor. I for one think, somewhat cynically, that we are apt to take the easy way out. Meaning, and I say this literally, that you have a person that voted Gore - for whatever reason, let's say prescription drug coverage - and now is willing to translate that (becuase this is after all, "us against them" :? ) into an anti-Bush stance on whatever the hot button issue of the moment is. Bear in mind that this works both ways.

My evidence in this is that the really key - and truly sticky issues - are off the front pages. Why is the abuse/torture issue non-existant right now? It is gone. But Kerry mentions his service record, and the media and the citizens of this great country see that and talk around the water-cooler, and that is what we are talking about in strict PRO-BUSH or PRO-KERRY terms. I wish to god someone of substance (not some fat lawyer on a message board) would stand up and say TO BOTH OF THEM, "listen, as long as prisoners are being beaten and tortured you can take your mortar shrapnel in the arm and your pilot training in Texas and stick it in your ass. Answer the fucking question. BOTH OF YOU."

Comment

Bill, sometimes I think we are two sides of the same brain, separated only by ideology :D

I can't agree with you more. I care very, very little about the Commander-in-Chief election, but I care deeply about the Presidential election. It's sad that we have engendered such paranoia in the US that we're more concerned about security than, say, healthcare or human rights. The only long-term memory the public has in common is 9/11. Everything else comes and goes very quickly in the public consciousness. But security is an illusion, and I hate the idea that this election has begun to turn on who can best propogate an illusion, rather than who can best make the US a better place for its citizens and the world.

Comment

New documentary. Yes, MoveOn.org donated money. waaa waaa!
            (Who is the president sponsored by?)

http://www.truthuncovered.com/thefilm.html

"In his documentary feature, UNCOVERED: THE WAR ON IRAQ, filmmaker Robert Greenwald chronicles the Bush Administration’s determined quest to invade Iraq following the events of September 11, 2001.
            The film deconstructs the administration’s case for war through interviews with U.S intelligence and defense officials, foreign service experts, and U.N. weapons inspectors – including a former CIA director,
            a former ambassador to Saudi Arabia and even President’s Bush’s Secretary of the Army. Their analyses and conclusions are sobering, and often disturbing, regardless of one’s political affiliations."
            \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
            Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Not sure where the best place is for this, but a documentary Jerico has mentioned in the past is going to be on UK television tomorrow night:

CONTROL ROOM
              Jehane Noujaim, USA, 2004
              BBC Two: Saturday 21 August 2004 10pm-11.25pm

"Acclaimed insight into the war in Iraq, as filmmaker Jehane Noujaim spends six weeks in the Al-Jazeera newsroom and the neighbouring coalition media centre."

D...
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Watch it, me mates!
                It's good!
                In my opinion, it's pretty fair and balanced.
                Not at all like Farenheit.
                No music, no gimmicks, no hype.
                It's about Al Jazeera,
                but has plenty of Americans talking on it.
                Esp. the Marine officer in command of communications of US forces in Iraq.
                It has both sides.

Comment

True dat, LoE!

I saw it too!

It has at least a couple of revelations in it.
                  \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

Good stuff, Maynard.

(I'm talking about the entire thread)

Comment

If this is the highest the level of conversation gets, I fear for our contry.

Originally posted by Jerico
                      I can't wait til Bush loses.
                      When I hear him speak,
                      all i hear is a bunch of bullshit,
                      so much that I can imagine
                      brown logs falling out of his mouth
                      every time it opens and closes.

Comment

These really are interesting times for our country, pardner.
                        No worries, friend.
                        I have written a great deal more than that.
                        Ask any other friends on here.
                        I will not apologize for not being PC. :)

Here's a good start...

[broken link]
                        Oh well, there's always Fox News. ;)
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

What is PC?
                          Is it an acronym for "Pussified Congregation?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                            These really are interesting times for our country, pardner.
                            No worries, friend.
                            I have written a great deal more than that.
                            Ask any other friends on here.
                            I will not apologize for not being PC. :)

Here's a good start...

[broken link]
                            Oh well, there's always Fox News. ;)

I'll stand up for the high level of Jerico's contributions. Be careful judging someone on a few posts. Especially when they have a distinguished history on the board.
                            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X