Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fahrenheit continued... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahrenheit continued... ?

I just came across this. AND I LIKE IT!!

Michael Moore announces he will be in Florida to monitor the November election 4:20 PM
    http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=118

(click on audio or video segment to hear MM's announcement)

At a press conference in Boston on Monday, Aug.2nd, Michael Moore announced he is bringing his cameras to Florida in November to make sure there is what he called a "huge spotlight" on state election officials when voters go to the polls. The director of "Fahrenheit 9/11" also said he plans to help pay for an "army of lawyers" who will be in target precincts ready to go to court if they spot any voting problems. He encouraged other independent filmmakers to join him in Florida.
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

What does everyone think about the latest Code Orange alert?

Did you hear what Howard Dean had to say on it?

comments?

on google..
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...Ridge+and+Bush
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

This morning on UK radio (Radio 4) it was reported that the American government had raised the security level based on "new information", then had to admit that the information was actually a little stale. This report was followed by a number of callers expressing their genuine concern about how much faith we can place in what we are told by our ministers... especially if our politicians are basing their attitudes on what they're told by your politicians... third hand intelligence, that sometimes seems to slip through without being thoroughly proof-read.

A minister also claimed that we had to be especially alert because we are living in "uncertain times". Can anyone give an example of a period of western history when things have ever been "certain"?

Gah!

If the terroriststs don't get us, the cancer will... or computer games will turn all our children against us! Then there's the robots to worry about. I'm not sure why I bother getting out of bed some mornings (actually thousands of people die every year just getting out of bed... I can't back that up with any evidence, but I'm pretty sure that's true)

Er... sorry. Didn't mean to bring everyone down.

D...
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Osama Bin Jack-in-a-box

D ... all this is so intransparent and fishy business that I long suspect that they already nabbed Osama Bin Laden months ago and are keeping it secret until just before the elections to produce a "victory".
        The trouble is that of liars you don't expect anything but lies. Very sad. Those on duty, the thousands of cops and security people are the ones that have my compassion being moved around as pawns in a greater game.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

"On a long enough timeline, the life expectancy of everyone drops to zero."

Try to have some fun in the meanwhile.

Comment

My quick take on the security alerts ( I hate it when work gets in the way of my web time)-

I think the timing is suspicious. After you cry wolf a few too many times people start to be apathetic, especially when the warnings come with no specific suggestions for doing anything.

I also think that the warnings have been partially politically motivated. The prison scandal breaks, a terrorist warning goes out. Gas prices go up, a terrorist warning goes out. Kerry's polling goes up (especially on terrorism) and a warning goes out. If nothing else, Dean has a reason to ask the question, if not make an accusation, especially when some of the intelligence was four years old, and the most recent information was several months old. While the administration claims that they just got the information, is that really a wise claim to make?

Comment

Of course they are politically motivated, and so are the responses to the warnings. The Bush administration was waylaid for not providing a warning before 9/11, even though the information was no more detailed than what we just got. Now they are doing what was asked for and taking shit for it. It is a can't win, zero sum game.

The base information was from 2000, 2001, BUT the information was updated and accessed as recently as January 2004. That isn't that old.

I access files at work every day that were created as far back as 1995. Sometimes I make changes, sometimes I do not. Plus, many of these types of programs take years to develop (anyone read "The Company" by Robert Littell?)

My big criticism is that I don't beleive the warnings change the risk profile for the average American one bit. One bit. Security is a reactionary game, and as any sports fan will tell you, an offensive player tries to get a defensive player to react and commit, and then adjusts accordingly and SCORE.

Comment

I think that part of the problem with the entire terrorist alert system, and maybe the entire "War on Terror!" is that the general issue is too complicated to put into a sound bite, but people (especially politicians and news media types) try to oversimplify it anyway.

What happens is people respond to the underinformative sound bites, and others respond to those responses. And then others respond to those responses. The issue becomes so watered down that people are no longer talking about the issue, they start using it, because it can fit into a political commercial or speech at that point.

I also think that just telling us to "be more alert" (or is that "more afraid") is almost the same as doing nothing.

Comment

My resonse to the latest responses is "yes."
                  the big "ace card" that will be revealed
                  at the Rep. Nat. Convention is they
                  will pull out from behind the stage,
                  a cage containing Osama bin Laden.

"See! We are safer now! We have
                  caught the evil-doer!"

:lol:

I tend to agree with the message I got
                  from Fahrenheit-- Bush doesn't care
                  about capturing bin Laden.

It's all speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
                    There is some speculation possibly arising from Bill Maher
                    or one of his writers that the big "ace card" that will be revealed at the Rep. Nat. Convention is they will pull out from behind the stage, a cage containing Osama bin Laden.
                    Well, hopefully the press representative won't try to take flash photographs, otherwise Osama might get so angry and confused he breaks out of his cage, grabs a cute blonde and carries her up the Empire State Building.

Um... no, sorry. :oops:

Hot from Reuters:

Bush misspeak cites U.S. readiness to harm U.S

WASHINGTON - U.S. President George W. Bush has told a roomful of top Pentagon brass his administration would never stop looking for ways to harm the United States.

The latest installment of misspeak from a president long known for his malapropisms came during a signing ceremony for a new $417 billion (228.4 billion pounds) defence appropriations bill that includes $25 billion in emergency funding for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we," Bush said on Thursday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040805/80/ezp6x.html

Genius.

D...
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Please. Didn't Kerry make a similar slip in his acceptance speech? Something about funding terrorism?

I'd say they are equal.

Comment

Where is the money going to come from?

"Who cares?" says the upper 1%.
                        They can afford to pay with their tax dollars.
                        They make more than enough and
                        they pay less taxes to begin with.

and some of them are bound to make business profits
                        during these continued military campaigns.

Meanwhile the bottom-dwelling suckers
                        are the ones ducking from the rounds
                        coming from "down-range," operating
                        under the notion: "I serve my country proudly!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                          Hot from Reuters:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we," Bush said on Thursday.
                          Bush hates us. This slip is silly considering the tortures he authorized.
                          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

You know for some reason whenever I hear Michael Moore's voice all I can think of are the adults in Peanuts (or, more accurately the cartoon based on Peanuts). Waa waa wa waaa wa waa wa waaa.
                            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I can't wait til Bush loses.
                              When I hear him speak,
                              all i hear is a bunch of bullshit,
                              so much that I can imagine
                              brown logs falling out of his mouth
                              every time it opens and closes.

Comment

Working...
                              X