Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

UK Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zilch
    Hisashiburi
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
    [

Do you honestly believe by introducing a flat rate of tax that cleaners will receive a pay rise? How? Capitalist employers would give a shit about that - why would they? Wages and staff cuts have always been the first thing businesses have decided to cut, because it's the only real thing they can control totally. Low wages = higher profits. Where's the evidence that tax handouts creates downward pressure on wages? Unemployment and a candidate-rich market creates wage pressure, which is partly why successive governments have operated such liberal immigration policies.
    This is why there needs to be a legal minimum wage and it has to be enforced, the tax office know how much you make and put a lot of effort into taking it off you, giving employers a slap from time to time won't be too much effort.

I think if you read the posts above you will see people say how they were paid just below the tax threshold, this is the downward pressure. As you point out employers cut wages, by making a low wage survivable we facilitate this.

I am astounded that in modern society there is so much aspiration to creating poverty, this mentality has to change, if we are to have capitalism it has to remember it is a function of society, not an end in itself.
    http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pebble
      Eternal Champion
      • Dec 2006

I would suggest that the systems of class definition change with their authors' predjuice and the shift industrially. I thought that White collar and blue collar are US/Canada terms of labelling. I remember being amazed on my trip to Vancouver, where my friend defined areas by the way people lived and I thought naively that it was more eglitarian.

I do agree that there is a definition of poor and as underclass. Does this come under the 'Working classes'?

One of my work colleagues was talking about how his father would describe his army experience in WW2 as them and us. If you watch some of the great comedies of the 50's you can see these distinctions. I was impressed with the Sellars film - Long (or Strong) arm of the Law and of course - 'I'm Alright Jack' as well some of the Boultings films.

My father definition was 'those who would stop you from enjoying something'.
      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Working...
      X