Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Let's do something for Haiti !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zilch
    Hisashiburi
    • Aug 2006

I opted for a donation to Save the Children

they have a good ratio of admin costs to aid given, and are already active in the country

There is also yelehaiti, which is specifically concerned with Haiti.

Donating money is the best thing we can do, it's fast and always useful in the right hands.

I personally disagree with reliance on charity, believing that most charitable causes would be better served with tax payers' money, steady income which would allow for forward planning, but I make an exception to this rule for natural disasters, for obvious reasons.

As a resident in a very earthquake prone part of the world these disasters hit home and remind us of the need to be prepared. Always have your emergency kit up to date and your escape route planned, and keep slippers by your bed so you can walk over broken glass.
    http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Harlequin
      Switching to full auto
      • Dec 2008

May I suggest another worthwhile organization doing good deeds in Haiti since 1978.

http://www.soschildrensvillages.org....ws/Haitiappeal

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
        Site Host
        • Dec 2003

I agree with you in principle, Z but there's a vast difference between Haiti and Japan economically as well as in many other aspects. Economies which depend hugely on subsidies, tourism and so on can't afford to tax against rainy days. For them, it's a vicious circle. We, the rich economies, benefit or have benefitted from the poor and we owe them this 'charity' as often as not.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• GuyLawley
          Champion of the Balance
          • Aug 2004

In the UK The Disasters Emergency Committee seems well placed to act fast, and UK taxpayers can add 28p in the pound to their donation by using GiftAid, which has to be good; make a little bit of the tax you paid last year work for Haiti!

http://www.dec.org.uk/

Radio 4 listeners will have heard Ms Frostrup making an appeal for donations to the DEC.

Comment

• Wanderlust
            Lemon Curry?
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
            I agree with you in principle, Z but there's a vast difference between Haiti and Japan economically as well as in many other aspects. Economies which depend hugely on subsidies, tourism and so on can't afford to tax against rainy days. For them, it's a vicious circle. We, the rich economies, benefit or have benefitted from the poor and we owe them this 'charity' as often as not.
            Well put. I believe Haiti still has the horrid claim-to-fame of being the poorest nation in the western hemisphere.
            Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Rothgo
              Champion of the Unbalanced
              • Aug 2006

My POV is less one of debt (which we rich western nations do indeed owe to those we pillaged to get rich), but rather a combination of "what needs to be done?" with "what can we do?". Humanity relies on those good at (or having lots of) one thing helping out those less so, and (directly or eventually via however many intermediates) vice-versa. Reflexive altruism gone mad perhaps, but without it we're all buggered in the end.

Comment

• Wanderlust
                Lemon Curry?
                • Apr 2008

Update on Haiti . . .

. . . and it ain't good.

This evening, the CBC Radio 1 program, As it Happens broadcast this bit on Haiti:

"Endless emergency. Six months after the earthquake in Haiti, a Montreal reporter returns -- to find a country still struggling to find its feet."

And the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/

Part #2 contains the bit on Haiti. Damn sad stuff.
                Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Rothgo
                  Champion of the Unbalanced
                  • Aug 2006

I read this article midweek as it happens WL:
                  http://world.caledonianmercury.com/2...evisited/00912

Mary's Meals are one of my preferred charities :)
                  For those interested, they have a facebook page you can check out.

Comment

Working...
                  X