Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Let's do something for Haiti !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L'Etranger
    Veteran Moorcockista
    • Dec 2003

Let's do something for Haiti !

Pretty terrible there from what is reported in the news.

Any suggestions?

Which organisation would you say, Mike, we should send donations to?
    I'll try some local initiatives like getting all empolyees of my TV station to donate the money they'd otherwise have spent on coffee or dessert on a given day. Whatever.
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 01-13-2010, 08:34 AM.
    Google ergo sum

• David Mosley
    Eternal Administrator
    • Jul 2004

BBC News report on aid efforts so far in response to Haiti earthquake:

International efforts to help Haiti in the wake of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake are under way, with governments across the world and aid agencies mobilising search and rescue teams and aid supplies.

Although the full scale of the disaster has yet to emerge, it is clear that it will pose a huge challenge.

Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere, is still struggling to recover from devastating hurricanes in 2008.

It needs all kinds of help, from emergency and medical aid, to food aid, to the longer-term rebuilding of infrastructure.

Congressman Eliot Engel, chairman of the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, said the earthquake was a "devastating punch to a country that has suffered so much and will obviously need much international aid and need it quickly."

UNITED STATES
    The US government quickly announced a range of measures to help Haiti.

The US Coast Guard said it had "mobilised cutters and aircraft to positions in close proximity to Haiti to render humanitarian assistance as needed".

The US agency for international development (USAID) is sending a search and rescue team of at least 72 people and six dogs.

Haitian communities across the US, including south Florida where an estimated 275,000 Haitians live, are also organising donations and relief efforts.

AID AGENCIES
    Several international aid agencies have offices and staff in Haiti, usually working on long-term aid and reconstruction.

As news of the quake emerged, these organisations began to mobilise their emergency response teams.

Oxfam says it has staff ready, including a public health, water and sanitation team in the capital, Port-au-Prince.
    A spokeswoman said the organisation also had emergency supplies in Panama, which could be brought in.

The International Red Cross says it is releasing emergency funds to help deal with the disaster. The Red Cross has supplies in Haiti which can help some 3,000 families for three to four days, a spokesman at Red Cross headquarters in Geneva said.

It is also gearing up to fly more supplies in from Panama.
    The British Red Cross has launched an appeal in the UK and has released £200,000 ($325,000) from its disaster fund to ensure money is immediately available.

The French humanitarian group, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), said many people had gone for treatment at its facilities in Port-au-Prince but that its buildings had been seriously damaged.

MSF is planning to send additional staff to Haiti to help workers based there.

UN MISSION COUNTRIES
    The UN stabilisation force in Haiti, Minustah, has said that a large number of its personnel are unaccounted for after a building at its headquarters in Port-au-Prince collapsed.

Minustah has some 9,065 police and troops stationed in Haiti, as well as 488 international civilian staff and local staff. Its forces are drawn from more than 40 countries, including Brazil, China and Pakistan.

Several Minustah nations have said they are preparing to send aid.

OTHER INTERNATIONAL RESPONSES
    France, which has historic links with Haiti and some 1,400 nationals living there, is sending two planes with rescuers and humanitarian aid, one from the Caribbean island of Martinique with 25 rescuers on board, and a second one with 60 people from Marseille.

The UK government said it was "deeply concerned" by the earthquake and has a team ready to fly to Haiti.

A 61-strong team of British firefighters is preparing to head out to help rescue efforts.

Venezuela said it would send a military plane with food, medicine and drinking water, as well as a team of 50 recue workers.

Mexico, which has long experience of dealing with devastating earthquakes, is sending a team of doctors and search and rescue workers.

FINANCIAL AID
    The Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) is providing $200,000 (£122,000) in immediate emergency aid which can be used to provide food, potable water, medicines and temporary shelter.

The World Bank, whose local offices were destroyed in the earthquake, is planning to send a team to assess damage.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
      Mr. The Fox
      • May 2006

I don't presume to speak for Mike, however the site's last charitible drive was for the tsunami. We suggested then that members made contributions to Doctors Without Borders who are reporting that the scene is chaotic and local medical services are interupted and facilities are not functioning. What suffering!

The DWB website have a prominent donation link. If you can, please make a donation with DWB here: http://doctorswithoutborders.org/ Could times be tougher for the poor?
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
        Mr. The Fox
        • May 2006

UncleSiggy Haiti Earthquake Relief Drive http://tinyurl.com/y8lwdxr #moorcock #Haiti #earthquake Please give to Doctors Without Borders half a minute ago

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
          Mr. The Fox
          • May 2006

I've sent an appeal to 1,700 of our 1,900 members. I also Twittered the message and hopefully we'll get some traction there. With this thread and the announcement seen all of the site, I think we've done the most we can at this time.

Comment

• dylerpillar
            Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
            • Aug 2008

I chucked some coin that way, not much more I can do.

A couple of acquaintances are on missionary work there and they are okay, as far as I know.
            Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• thingfish
              sairfecht
              • Sep 2007

Just checked out the Doctors without Borders site and i couldnt agree more about the amazin' work they do.
              I have donated and will try to keep doing it regular.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Lucid Sirius
                Jester, ret.
                • Mar 2009

I'll add my own thumbs-up for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières. I am acquainted with several surgeons who volunteer with that group and have seen them in action after a natural disaster. They do wonderful work in very difficult conditions and I understand that as a charity they're in the top percentiles in terms of putting donations directly to aid and for general accountability.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

• Sparrowhawk
                  Corsair of Second Ether
                  • May 2009

Thanks for the suggestion. Although I have known about the organization for a long time, I never really thought of Doctors Without Borders in terms of disaster relief. I just made donations to them and the Red Cross.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

• VonWeiner
                    Eternally Confused
                    • Jan 2004

Donation made. DWB is a great org. Please visit and help if you can.
                    When they had advanced together to meet on common
                    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

• Wanderlust
                      Lemon Curry?
                      • Apr 2008

DWB Canada

Have been trying to access the Canadian DWB website all morning. I just called and apparently there's such a huge response that they're in the process of begging their ISP for more bandwidth. Hope they get it.
                      Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• thingfish
                        sairfecht
                        • Sep 2007

Im finding that for the first time in my living memory that people are actually talking to each other on the street about what they can do to help rather than just saying 'have you heard about that disaster,what a bummer'.
                        I've directed at least 10 people today to the DWB site.
                        Maybe something good can come from this tragedy after all.
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Groakes
                          badseed
                          • Jan 2005

MSF are great. We donate to them (and a few others) at Christmas rather that buy each other presents, but we've just made a special donation - this is pretty damned tragic.
                          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                          Bakunin

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
                            Mr. The Fox
                            • May 2006

I made a small donation. It seems they even lost a couple of DWB doctors.

Comment

Working...
                            X