Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

sentimentallitty and sexism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sentimentallitty and sexism

What makes me sick is the blatant sexism in media, and stuff. With the putrid football on what do they put on? Weedy snivellyy wimpy movies and royal stuff. Its such a pain. some males i know have= cried at movies=like soft sentimental stuff= I havent cried at a movie since somewhere in time, and that was because it was a great tender gentle movie. Who says a females gonna like wingy crap like the notebook? The afforsaid males also like crap like the day after tommorrow and war films and comedies. I think sentimentallity is the over use of certain elements and cliches. Like war films full of *sensative heroes* who come from the bronx or "the streets" who makes good. Ugh yuk, The males in question also like the look of the Notebook. and certtain other dross. In short i think that sentimentallitty is the accumulation of took much of one emotion or concept. A male actually liked Pearl harbour and watched captain corellis mandolin. Pass me the sick bucket.

Well, I don't wish to make you lose your breakfast/lunch/supper but I cry like a shower-head. Amelie, Rent, the final episode of Spaced series one... I'm getting weepy now, just thinking about them.

Of course, watching the football (soccer) coverage, it was possible to see many men crying over the end results... so it isn't just us "sissies" who cry... and one of the most popular songs on Brit radio at the moment is "Dry Your Eyes, Mate" by The Streets, a song about a chap breaking down after he's dumped without an explanation by his girlfriend. I'm afraid there's no escape Yolanda!

Sorry about that.

I'll hold your hair back while you use the bucket if you like... because that's how sensitive I am!

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about at all, yolanda. What does sexism in the media have to do with the rest of your post?

Comment

I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator2, with the thum

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
        Well, I don't wish to make you lose your breakfast/lunch/supper but I cry like a shower-head. ...the final episode of Spaced series one... I'm getting weepy now, just thinking about them.

Great taste DeeCrowSeer, still don't know why they didn't release the second series, maybe too subversive :? .

Yo, Yolanda I know how you feel about the footie but Omaru has a point where doesd the sexism come into this? :?
        \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
        Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

Must be because all males love football

Comment

Re: I cried like a baby at the end of Terminator2, with the

Originally posted by Darren
            ...the final episode of Spaced series one... I'm getting weepy now, just thinking about them.

Great taste DeeCrowSeer, still don't know why they didn't release the second series, maybe too subversive :? .
            Are you talking about the second series of Spaced? The sitcom with the flatsharing writer and artist? Are you American? I only ask because the second series has definitely been released in the UK, both as a single DVD and as part of a double-pack with the first series. I especially recommend the second series DVD, if only for the uncut scene of Daisy doing her Elvis impersonation. So cute!

As regards the actual topic of this thread, one could argue that suggesting men shouldn't cry in public is sexism too.

D...

Comment

"As regards the actual topic of this thread, one could argue that suggesting men shouldn't cry in public is sexism too. "

I take the position that ANYTIME one makes a distinction that is based on sex, it is sexism. Of cuorse, that implies that there is such a thing as good sexism, which might be hard for some (not here) to grasp.

Comment

Bill sez:
                Of cuorse, that implies that there is such a thing as good sexism, which might be hard for some (not here) to grasp.
                Bill, does that mean there is such a thing as "good racism" too? :?
                \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Well, intellectually speaking, yes.

Assuming that:
                  - racism is defined as "racial prejudice or discrimination";
                  - prejudice is defined as "preconceived judgement or opinion"
                  - discrimination is defined as "the act of distinction or differentiation"
                  (all definitions from Webster's 10th edition)

Don't schools have programs by which the admission of a student is based on race? That is, that two (or more) potential students are differentiated on racial grounds? How about jobs?

Again, possibly difficult to grasp if a person is unwilling or unable to grasp the theoretical aspect of this. I am, of course, ignoring the definitions of "racism", "prejudice" and "discrimination" that have a negative connotation built in.

Comment

Smartass :P
                    \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Who? Me? :lol: :lol:

Comment

Good heavens. I don't like football. Or most sports. I don't even know the point of most games. I always feel we could easily reach a reasonable compromise without having to do all that running about and
                        getting tired or even injured.
                        Does this mean I'm not a man ?
                        Now I'm really confused... :D

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          Good heavens. I don't like football. Or most sports. Does this mean I'm not a man ? Now I'm really confused... :D
                          Wait! I'll look it up in my Big Book of Manliness... Beard? Check... Cool hat? Check... No, I'm afraid you're a man, Mr M. Sorry about that. It is your duty to care about sports. You should start with Women's Tennis and work up from there. :D

D...

Comment

lol

No, I'm afraid you're a man, Mr M. Sorry about that. It is your duty to care about sports. You should start with Women's Tennis and work up from there. :D

D...
                            I'm with you mr M. Sports are daft, for spectators at least, but he has got a point about the women's tennis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
                            Are you American? I only ask because the second series has definitely been released in the UK, both as a single DVD and as part of a double-pack with the first series.
                            No, as far as I can tell I spell color colour and say pavement instead of sidewalk so that means I'm not.

Really? (Should be read in a Simon Pegg-esque tone. ) Fantastic.. :D
                            \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
                            Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

Comment

Good sexism and racism??? I never heard that one... is there such a thing???

I thought everytime we even discuss the subject it mean we are being sexist! Best solution is to abandon Sex altogether, just forget it exists, solve all our problems in 60 years or so! I do believe we should all get equal treatment though like why did I have to pay for my PSA test my wife didnt! There would be an uproar bout that :lol: !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X