Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Weird BooX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moody
    replied
    Stirner's The Ego and Its Own was published the year of Nietzsche's birth, but there is controversy amongst Nietzsche scholars whether Nietzsche actually read Stirner.

There is a similarity in their ideas, but Nietzsche is, as you say, suspicious of the 'ego'.

In his 'Beyond Good and Evil', Nietzsche compares the "ego superstition" with what he called "the soul superstition".
    Indeed, Nietzsche even viewed the scientific version of the 'atom' of the time as belonging with such superstitions.

He thought it intolerable to suugest there were such indestructible simplexes as the 'soul', the 'ego' and the 'atom'.

Nietzsche also prefigured Wittgenstein's 'private language' argument.
    This suggests that complete individualism is impossible as we would then speak a private language only we would understand.

Clearly, human life is based on a commonality of communication - as much as this may offend such aristocratic thinkers, such as Nietzsche himself.
    So Nietzsche could never accept an extreme form of individualism.

Nietzsche: Beyond Good and Evil

Wittgenstein: Philosophical Investigations

Leave a comment:

• kard
    replied
    Stirner is the enfant terrible of 19th century philosophy :D. it was and is critisiced from all directions. i think even Nietzsche was suspicious of this...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Try Max Stirner -- The Ego and Its Own.

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    started a topic Weird BooX

Weird BooX

What's an "extreme individualist" Anyway? Do they exist? I think it's a myth really!.. Just like i am! :lol: ...

Please extend this forum with some more strange books.
    Hell.... they're all strange aren't they.. but in reference to what?

http://www.teen-bookstore.com/item/The-Psychopath's-Bible-For-the-Extreme-Individual-1561841749.html
Working...
X