Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

How has the Economy affected you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reinart der Fuchs
    Mr. The Fox
    • May 2006

More evidence that we're on some sort of brink. Will anyone in Los Angeles even recognize their dependence upon Athens?
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
      Citizen of Tanelorn
      • Jun 2007

And, will anyone pick up on the fact that IMF 'austerity,' which has been grinding the Third World down for decades, is a big part of what's happening in Greece?
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
        Reconstructulator
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
        More evidence that we're on some sort of brink. Will anyone in Los Angeles even recognize their dependence upon Athens?
        Yep. Give it time, but when it happens there will be people on the radio lying to the folks in LA by telling them that their traumas are unique to their nation and their government and have been caused by the other political party, while the newspapers publish though skeleton crews and the TV news shows feature nearly-naked starlets with $100K Christian crosses descending into their cleavage.

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
          Mr. The Fox
          • May 2006

"Reg doesn't like it when things go all wonky."
          \
          Attached Files
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Tammywilding
            Tammy W
            • Jul 2010

Pay freezes and redundancies......

Reading between the lines I may be redundant January next.

Just have to wait and see !!!!!
            Humbling and possibly relaxing too
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2sUbHD6qg

Comment

• Tammywilding
              Tammy W
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Heiron View Post
              The worst is to come and what happens in Greece will happen tomorrow otherwhere.
              The weird thing is that the whole crisis in Greece began(and still is up to a point) as a fictional crisis promoted by the media.Banks have more or less the same money they had a few years ago and the citizens too.Only last month there was a decision to cut down wages for those working for the government.But in Xmas for example people didn't go shopping so much for fear of the crisis-to-come.This seems like a selffulfilling prophecy.It's like spreading a rumour that Multiverse Bank of Elric is going to close and people will loose their money.Now,even if MBoE is doing great,people will go and withdraw their money,causing it to collapse thus fulfilling the false(yet fulfilled!) prophecy.
              They did that to Northern Rock, and Bradford and Bingley.
              Humbling and possibly relaxing too
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2sUbHD6qg

Comment

• Lorelei
                Resident Mermaid out of Water
                • Sep 2007

It is sheerly a miracle that my landlady has not kicked me out yet (think it's coming though!) First time in my life I've ever been late or behind or rent came this year! When you work for yourself and business dwindles you can't get unemployment! Been looking for other work for almost a year with no luck. This is the one time it stinks to be on my own!
                Sad thing is, I'm not the worst case out there.
                "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

• The Jeopardised Leprechaun
                  Flotsam on the Seas of Fate
                  • Mar 2010

Lorelei, I've been 'idling' for a few months and I've found the trauma to be two-fold : first money, and lack thereof; and then it's feeling productive with your time - you're not alone. Wishing you all the best and a strong upturn soon
                  PS - Oakland's beautiful, great place, great people

Comment

• Lorelei
                    Resident Mermaid out of Water
                    • Sep 2007

Thanks JL! I love Oakland too, but I may have to move. Where? Don't know.
                    Things are improving just not enough to attack my current bills and the debt in arrears! I've noticed once the poverty rears its ugly head things just snowball (Or maybe more like that big boulder from Indiana Jones!) It just speeds up and grows until you fear you can never outrun it!
                    "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

• Brian
                      has this to say:
                      • Jul 2009

I have a part-time job, and so far I've been able to pay my bills and squeak by from paycheck to paycheck. I'm very grateful for that. I've been looking for a full-time job for over a year now (ever since I graduated from college), and I've yet to receive even one offer for an interview. In fact, out of the hundred or so applications that I've sent out, only three of them have even bothered to send me a rejection notice!
                      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Jeopardised Leprechaun
                        Flotsam on the Seas of Fate
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        I have a part-time job, and so far I've been able to pay my bills and squeak by from paycheck to paycheck. I'm very grateful for that. I've been looking for a full-time job for over a year now (ever since I graduated from college), and I've yet to receive even one offer for an interview. In fact, out of the hundred or so applications that I've sent out, only three of them have even bothered to send me a rejection notice!
                        A couple of the most successful people I know - now successful in both business and personally imo - have had stages in their lives where they have had 100+ rejections for jobs. It's really not good for the self-esteem, but you've got to keep in mind it is just a stage, things change and move on, not always in the way you plan it - got to keep nudging

Lorelei - what can I say? sometimes we just have to change direction to deal with circumstance shoving us around - again, may end up being a change for the better in the long run. In tough times I have to make an effort to keep thinking, and not get swamped with all the stuff, and plan a way out as far as possible; head in the sand doesn't work for me (tried that, really doesn't work!)- I've had to adjust my expectations of life a few times, and I think I'm better for that. Wishing you all the best
                        Last edited by The Jeopardised Leprechaun; 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• UncleDes
                          Got Moves like Jagged
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by The Jeopardised Leprechaun View Post
                          A couple of the most successful people I know - now successful in both business and personally imo - have had stages in their lives where they have had 100+ rejections for jobs.
                          I was in deep do-do a few years back, and in a similar situation. Sending resumes off to strangers is a poor way to go about it. Contact EVERYONE you know, or who you have ever contacted who will not have a bad impression of you, and ask what they would do in your situation (DON'T ask for a job - soft-pedal it and ask for their ADVICE).

Get onto one of the networking sites (I use LinkedIn) and "friend" everyone who you meet, and ask for references - you will be surprised how many people respond positively. Use this as your online resume, with built-in references. Then keep this up even when you are employed (my employer actively encourages this, because networking is encouraged).

Good luck, mate.

Des
                          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

• Guzzlecrank
                            Reconstructulator
                            • Aug 2009

Des' recommendations are truly excellent, I believe, and to them I would add that "temping" while you network may help you pay your bills in the short term and also help you out in the long term.

Temping has bailed me out a few times in the past. It helps you prevent the appearance of big gaps in your resume and it helped me land long-term jobs later because my (then) prospective employer could see that I was doing (or trying to do) something to stay in the workforce. I didn't have to show that I had maintained a steady line of work in a particular field.
                            Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

• Mespheber
                              Guardian of the Grail
                              • Jun 2006

As Morgan said, the lower classes are always targets of crisis. Kill a whale, you'll have some business with Greenpeace, slay millions of sardins and they'll help you to can them as said the belgian actor Benoit Poelvoorde.

Until now, I didn't felt effect of crisis but it changed yesterday when I get the annual bills for gas and electricity: cold winter plus energy rising prices equal double charges. Unless I find a better job or my fiancée finds one in september, we'll go from "manage to live" level to survival mode. Of course we can't afford health insurance as more and more citizens in my country so we prey to not catch some heavy disease.
                              Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Working...
                              X