Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

How has the Economy affected you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seanpmc1
    Denizen of Moo Uria
    • Mar 2009

How has the Economy affected you?

I've been layed off since Dec. 31, but luckily I'm Union, and between State Unemployment benefits, and quarterly "Underemployment" benefits from the Union, I have been able to keep my head above water. Things are beginning to look better for the Construction industry in my area though, so hopefully I'll be back to work long before my State Unemployment benefits are used up.

Thanks to the Governments controversial money package, and the fact that I live near two College towns, we should have plenty of work starting up before much longer. The bid requests are already rolling in thanks to the remodel and repair money the Colleges and Public School systems are getting.

Controversial or not, the way I see it is that I will make far more money in wages off these Jobs than I will pay in income Taxes, so I'm all for it. People complain about the Wasteful spending of our Tax dollars, but its a matter of perspective. I guess there will be many that do not benefit from it, but I will, and I am certainly not complaining...
  • Reinart der Fuchs
    Mr. The Fox
    • May 2006

Sorry to hear about your unemployment/underemployment. Around here the state is at 8.4%, and the local area is 9.1%. I thought those numbers were bad until I heard SC was at 11%

Some members may recall my lack of work as recently as early 2000's. Thanks to my friends here, I had at least a little psychic relief. But I was addicted to caffeine at the time, so I was an unbearable prick! Find ways to stay calm!
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
      Citizen of Tanelorn
      • Jun 2007

Reduction from supervising attorney to caseload attorney. 30% wage cut. I was the last in time at the supervisor level. I have some reason to bitch because attorney layoffs were done on merit, as opposed to seniority. So, I took a couple of months off. But, in supervisory capacity I wasn't arguing cases. Now, I will be. There are some problems with this as the cases are coming in mostly at Class A because the State is reducing a lot of C's to misdemeanors. But, all in all, that means we're winning the war. In the final analysis, there are worse things in life than changing the world twelve minds at a time.
      Kevin McCabe
      The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• seanpmc1
        Denizen of Moo Uria
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
        Reduction from supervising attorney to caseload attorney. 30% wage cut.
        30%! I guess thats better than getting axed, but thats a pretty severe drop in wages. You Lawyers makes money hand over fist anyway though, so your 30% is probably equivalent to what I make in an entire year...

(note the "winky" face)

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
          Citizen of Tanelorn
          • Jun 2007

Probably not like you think Sean. I'm in public defense.
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• seanpmc1
            Denizen of Moo Uria
            • Mar 2009

Probably not like you think Sean. I'm in public defense.

So what keeps you from going out on your own and making a killing? Are you one of those extremely rare creatures called "Honest Lawyers"?

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
              Citizen of Tanelorn
              • Jun 2007

Public Defense is a calling, for most of the folks I respect, anyway. If it meant working a real hardship on my family, I would have to look into something else. But, for now its all good.
              Kevin McCabe

Comment

• seanpmc1
                Denizen of Moo Uria
                • Mar 2009

Public Defense is a calling, for most of the folks I respect, anyway. If it meant working a real hardship on my family, I would have to look into something else. But, for now its all good.
                Then you have my respect, and thats a rare thing when it comes to Lawyers...

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
                  Citizen of Tanelorn
                  • Jun 2007

Thanks Sean.
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Jolanthus Trel
                    Apprentice wordsmith
                    • Sep 2005

I've been busier than a one armed drummer. More people writing dodgy cheques means I have more dishonours to prosess.
                    Mutant Ill-Tempered Sea Bass Player

Comment

• David Mosley
                      Eternal Administrator
                      • Jul 2004

The company I work for had a round of redundancies last month as part of a restructuring process (many of our clients are in the affected financial and automotive market sectors). Thankfully I wasn't part of that process but a good friend (and neighbour) was sadly made redundant. The good news is, seeing as she's an extremely smart and capable lady, she's been quickly able to find a new job (she starts tomorrow as it happens) but it's somewhat bitter-sweet for me personally because she's having to relocate to the other end of the country to take the job so I'm having to deal with the loss a much valued friendship, which I've been surprised to discover is more akin to suffering a bereavement than I could have anticipated.
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• seanpmc1
                        Denizen of Moo Uria
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                        which I've been surprised to discover is more akin to suffering a bereavement than I could have anticipated.
                        I know that feeling well. I spent 12 years at the last company I worked for. All the way from my Apprenticeship, to being one of the Five General foreman the company had. When you spend that many years with the same people, then leave, it doesn't take very long to realise what you have lost...

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
                          Mr. The Fox
                          • May 2006

Anticipating slim economic times, we connected with the local community college and arranged to host Japanese students for the international student program. This is not an exchange, and every 6 months one leaves and another arrives. They pay to stay and exchange cultural information. Our first guest left Tuesday morning. The night before, I put my son to bed who spent minutes weeping until the sweet release of sleep. My wife and I have been similarly affected.
                          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• The English Assassin
                            Champion of the Balance
                            • Feb 2007

I'm currently looking for work in London, so I can move back there after having a few months wondering in Mexico, but obviously I've picked the worst time in the world to be jobless! D'oh! The problem is amplified because I'm having to look from a distance (I'm op north right now), although i did spend a week and a bit their hitting the streets with my CVs, which was fun if ultimately unrewarding. I'm thinking of having to widen my search country wide as a ludicrous as it might seem there isn't even casual bar jobs any more in London. Everyone I know there is looking and not finding and even the agencies are turning peeps away. So if any one knows of any work going PM me!
                            forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                            2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                            3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

• zilch
                              Hisashiburi
                              • Aug 2006

We knew this was going to be tough, but it got a lot tougher than we expected. My company had to let a lot of people go, they all got good severance deals but I think some of them will struggle to find regular work for a while, though they will get by doing freelance. I lost one of my lunch buddies.

My bonus this year seemed to lack a zero at the end, so instead of a new fridge I think it will be a slap up meal at Mrs Higgins Pie Shop for the family and the rest tucked away in the wife's savings account. No trip home this year which is a drag, my daughter wants to go to England again to the folks, Grandma may come over to Japan instead, but Grandpa isn't allowed to fly anymore.

Times are tough but the world will go on, it's a period of re-adjustment to more realistic expectations, in the long run we should come out healthier and happier as we learn to appreciate what is really important in life.

But for now keep your tin hat on and keep slugging on, there are always opportunities in these times. Stay positive even when you can't be optimistic.
                              http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X