Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dylerpillar's First Novel: Pre-Sales Publishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylerpillar's First Novel: Pre-Sales Publishing

I've launched a project to use pre-sales of paperbacks and ebooks to fund the publication of the first run of "The Gift-Knight's Quest". This is an early launch, please wait 7 to 9 hours before sharing it around. I want to give some of my extended family time to buy the dance event tickets before the public can grab them all up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-knights-quest

Excerpts from the page:

The Gift-Knight's Quest is an ambiguous-magic fantasy set on a large continent with a massive inland sea. This novel concerns the youngest descendants of two families which have traditionally been enemies: the Kenderleys, who now rule the world's largest empire, and the Wancyeks, who have been reduced to common status and have lived quietly in a chunk of their former empire for over a century.

Chandra: An Unexpected Throne

Soon, Chandra will find herself overwhelmed trying to cope with an empire of responsibilities. After suspicious tragedies leave her sitting on a throne she never expected would be hers, she must struggle to spare the lives of countless subjects from violent political unrest and the threat of war. But when she finds herself trapped in a room where she was brought for safety, accosted by the worst threat of all, her own life might be the most challenging to save.

Derek: Soldier Without a War, Knight Without a Quest

Derek will find himself being called away on a journey through loneliness, madness, and a tragic family history he once hoped to leave behind. He will question everything, and life's certainties will seem as easy to grasp as the winds worshipped by his ancestors. He is the Gift-Knight, sent by his homeland to protect one who might kill him; he struggles to discover his true Quest, even if it costs him everything.

I invite you into this vibrant world of intrigue and strategy, the power people create through belief, love and loss, beauty and tragedy. I have put the words together, friends, but only together can we bring this to life.

This podcast by Pam Mertz includes a deeper discussion of the story, including character motivations. It also has some more background about the author, like a longer version of the campaign video.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

22% funded so far! Doing great! Keep up that sharing and backing!

Comment

37% funded, and it's not even September yet. Runs until Sept. 30. If you know anyone who might be interested in this gritty fantasy, well, word of mouth is the best chance I've got.

Comment

39% funded.

The original mascot of this campaign was meant to represent a creative process, and we can call him Mr. Caterpillar. I had level icons designed. Here are three examples.

fuzzy_catapillar_egg by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

fuzzy_catapillar_eating by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

fuzzy_catapillar_sleeping by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

I've wanted to snuggle into a bunch of blankets and wake up feeling very different. But then, I'm the dylerpillar.

Comment

43% funded. Here's a prototype of the cover:

10572238_829410290404127_659125134_n by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

Comment

Funding level: 50%. Days to go: 27.

Comment

Kicking It Forward

54% funded. Just shy of 27 days to go.

I've promised that if I make some kind of margin of profit here beyond what the publishing effort (and paying the artists) actually needs, I'm going to Kick It Forward. You can find my project on the distant page 4 of the Kicking It Forward site, owing to how far my project is from its time deadline.

With your help, it'll be more like hitting it forward, like taking a cricket bat to a rusted compressed tube of Foster's.

Comment

Somebody asked me a great question and I added it to the FAQ, but I can't find where they asked because I may have accidentally gotten rid of the message! They asked, "What is an ambiguous-magic fantasy? Do you mean ambitious magic fantasy? I've never heard of this." Great question, because the category is pretty much fabricated. Some of my readers called The Gift-Knight's Quest a low/no magic fantasy, and I figured I could capture both sides of the slash by just admitting I had deliberately left it ambiguous. I did so because it somewhat reflects the world that I see, where magical elements don't tend to make themselves obvious, yet people's belief in the supernatural can be very powerful and drive their decision making for better or worse. Because I'm writing about a fantasy land, I feel more comfortable allowing for the possibility that there is sorcery of some sort, somewhere, and there's great play to be had in a setting where no one has quite nailed down any formal scientific method, even though some inventors are definitely going about their business.

Comment

Comment

Chandra Kenderley by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

Early character sketch by Robin Haworth.

I've set up Google and FB Ads rolling out at this moment and hopefully Kicktraq banner ads. The last one is useful because it's a Kickstarter specific site, and also because if your project doesn't get funded, when you roll it out again they'll roll out the same banner again and not double-charge you (hopefully I won't have to use this beta bonus functionality). Red alert, red alert; wee-ooh wee-ooh wee-ooh... it's approaching the middle plateau of the campaign and this needs to pick up steam.

Comment

Just got a quote on promo postcards, can't be beat for the volume. Also heard back from the map person, so I should get a draft of the map soon.

Comment

An encouraging sign: new backers whose names I don't recognize at all. I must say the first heap of backers were mostly friends and family, and I was just waiting for there to be strangers convinced just from what I had shown that this project is worthwhile. That time has finally come.

Comment

Event promo (or, Fun With MS Paint)

Comment

Good review

It's important to get reviews, even if by putting it out there you risk a negative one. After all, if you're expecting people to lay down pledges for something they haven't ever read in full, they need some assurance that it isn't just a lot of hype. And I've been all about the hype, so that's why I was connected with a reviewer with whom I'm only barely acquainted.

Follow this link to the first review of The Gift-Knight's Quest.

Excerpt:

Another thing I love is the treatment of Gale; he is Derek’s horse and typically in this sort of setting animals are viewed and treated more as tools than living things. Each time Gale’s comforts are considered or he is referred to by name, I am relieved and grateful.

Comment

Character Sketch by Alis Keller

Chandra Kenderley by Alis Keller by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X