Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Auxiliary Magazine Subscription Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dylerpillar
    replied
    With 66 hours to go, we crossed the $5K threshold. Let's see if there's a last-day rush up ahead.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    I'm told we do have a stretch goal of $6K and a decent shot of reaching it, we're inching closer to $5K with 11 days to go, and typically there's a mad rush at the end in the last week of these campaigns.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    We have reached 315% of our goal, so I don't know what else to say. Thank you. This is all working out well, and we're just going to get the ever so late June/July issue done and ready to give to our backers. 12 days to go, and nothing to worry about with this campaign.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    Version 1.0 of our campaign was super ambitious. We really pushed to discover what our actual interested audience was; stats can tell you 29K people read for free, but who actually likes it enough to pay for a subscription? Well, about 150 people showed their interest, which brought us around $5K, lovely but well shy of our goal.

So we listened to what people were willing to back, refocused our campaign accordingly, and relaunched. Have a look. We're 72% of the way there on day one and I have no doubt that this will work out, and given my personal campaign ready to happen in September, I made sure I was free not to have to market much in the month of August, to give everyone a break!

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    10538458_10152092966446353_5019948840676629317_n by Dylerpillar, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    We've hit 94 backers. 12 days left. And in two days/on July 13 at 12PM EST, the Thunderclap goes off, and we'll call a lot of attention to our campaign.

It would be really nice to hit a round 100, or greater, by the time that social media explosion goes off. To have newbies come in and see that even though we're only just nearing the 10% mark of our goal, there's that psychological barrier of sheer number of backers that's been substantially surpassed.

And hopefully in the 10 days that follow the explosion, we can finish strong. At this point we're waiting on lots of ad buys to get us there.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    The 10% margin

When crowd funding anything, you look for your 10% margin. What would 10% of your known followers have to spend in order to cover your goal?

Well, our average readership per issue last year was 29K. The peak issue readership was 56K, so I get the feeling our readership generally increases over time and feel all right rounding up to a proper 30K. So, if 3K (10% of 30K) people spent $10 each on something, that would raise a staggering $30K, also the calculated margins of what this project needs, 50% of which is for three print runs before you include shipping and any other expense. This also being the type of project where we don't charge your credit card unless the campaign succeeds, success was set at $30K. (Of course we want a critical mass of people to pay for print subscriptions or we'd be worried going forward, but I'm just thinking about what would get us $30K in a reasonable way, and having 30K readers give us $1 seems less feasible than 3K giving us $10 or 6K giving us $5, or 1.5K giving us $20. I have to expect a certain number read this because it's free, or their friends happen to be in the issue, or crawler bots putting noise into our stats.)

With 15 days to go, the other organizers are scratching their heads with me. We created a lot of buzz that somehow hasn't mobilized our known base, and we're sitting reasonably close to $2K.

I've offset the crowd funding fatigue as best I can. I had an unexpected windfall today with a project I didn't expect to be paid for, and that enabled me to move up to a $175 Silver Patron package (I started this all at $55, not realizing I should have added $20 for international shipping as stated on the site). I've offset 16.5 non-payers from the 3K I was hoping for, and that's all I can do. It's up to the Auxiliary Heroes if this campaign is going to work.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    Well the new issue is available, featuring my interviews with Johnny Hollow and Prospero, and reviews of such. But issues aren't free to read anymore, so if you want to see my contributions as well as the rest of it, it'll cost you a grand total of US$1 for your digital copy.

David J Haskins (Bauhaus, Love & Rockets) officially shared our link, and he's going to appear in the next issue. Some of my past interviewees are gearing up to share things around soon.

The Kickstarter

The Social Media Thunderclap

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    45 backers. $1394 raised. 23 days to go. We're moving, just slowly. There's a lot of buzz, but trying to turn it into momentum. We have many things in the works where it's not known what the outcome will be, including promises of some forms of help from musicians, DJs, artists. I've done my job getting the word out.

Thunderclap had 26 people last I looked. I've figured out that I can dial down the goal lower if we're nearing the end date and we don't nearly have 250, so that's one campaign where we can actually make do.

The Kickstarter's not like that. I can tell you that about 50% of our goal is just to do three large print runs, to secure issues for half year subscribers. And the rest? Creating the perks including the t-shirts, and the bigger cost, shipping everything including international shipping. So I can hope for a very big last week, but in the meantime I'm going to try to keep our momentum up even if it has to be at a trickle during the traditional "slow middle weeks".

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    How to automatically help with Twitter for $0

There's one way to support Auxiliary's Kickstarter for $0 if you're on Twitter. It's a reputable website and app, and a system I'm testing in advance of my personal novel campaign in September. The idea is you give their app access at any time in advance of July 13 when you join the campaign, and you don't even have to be awake or online, my pre-written tweet with a link will fire off from your account at the same time as at least 250 other accounts (if we reach our minimum). That has way more promotional effect on Twitter than just having a trickle of scattered retweets getting lost in people's ocean-wide feeds.

And if you're like me, you'll de-authorize the app not long after the unified message goes out, unless you plan to use the service for yourself.

Please join our Thunderclap and get the word out. http://thndr.it/1lop4wG

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    replied
    We've surpassed $1K within our first 24 hours, and become a Kickstarter Staff Pic. Off to an excellent start.

Leave a comment:

• dylerpillar
    started a topic Auxiliary Magazine Subscription Drive

Auxiliary Magazine Subscription Drive

Hi folks! This post which I've long promised in my thread has come to pass. I appear in the campaign video, so you can at the very least see me if you're curious what the man behind this icon and text looks like. My role is small, and only took a few takes; stutters seemed calmed that day, however if I pronounce the hard F in "funding" a little too hard, realize that was the softest F I could manufacture at the time and we tried a few takes with that.

Follow this link to the Auxiliary Magazine subscription drive.

If you'd like to chip in $1 or anything you're interested in doing, please consider leaving a nice comment, since the site will enable you to comment after you become a donor anyway. Having a nice wall of comments each from different commenters is good for raising the campaign's profile.

Also, the $1 minimum gets you a digital copy of the newest issue, which contains my interviews with Johnny Hollow and Prospero! And one level up at $5 you can get all 32 back issues in PDF.

For this issue, I conducted two interviews: one with Prospero, and one with Johnny Hollow.

Last edited by dylerpillar; 06-23-2014, 08:11 PM. Reason: Clarification of baseline perk.
Working...
X