Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

That's All Folks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thongor
    Barbarian Swordsman
    • Apr 2005

That's All Folks.

And that officially ends the 2014 Enclave story Challenge. No more stories will be accepted. Thanks to everyone who participated. We had a really good turn out this year and some excellent stories. And if you didn't finish, you're a winner anyway for getting into the game.
  • Rothgo
    Champion of the Unbalanced
    • Aug 2006

Time to find my reading glasses!

Comment

• David Mosley
      Eternal Administrator
      • Jul 2004

Well done everyone! Excellent efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• EverKing
        Eternal Companion
        • Jan 2004

I've read them all now. I'll withhold comments for the appropriate thread and wait until I re-read them.

I have to say, though...wow! There are several truly unique tales among this group!
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Reinart der Fuchs
          gefangener fuchs
          • May 2006

Bravo! Thanks to Thongor for keeping this tradition alive!
          Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

• Kruger
            The Maker and The Unmaker
            • Jan 2014

I'm with E.K. ::looks at EverKing and grins:: You don't mind if I call you E.K. do you? You can totally call me Krugey, Krugs, uhm... Grr? I might not answer to that last one no one really calls me that. Seriously though, I am going to go back through them all. Then I'll sob because they're all well done.

Thanks

Kru...GRR
            The essence of light and dark rests on a fulcrum.
            Your actions determine where lays the balance.
            I am the fulcrum.

Comment

• EverKing
              Eternal Companion
              • Jan 2004

E.K. is fine, but my family just keeps it as E or E-Man (seriously, I've been called E my whole life). I like Grr, good name. Reminds me of a tigger chap I knew once. Feller by the name of JR once wrote a tale about him--or was it JRR? Can't quite remember anymore, must be getting addled in my approaching middle years. In any event, popular tale of of this T-I-Double-G-rrr bloke and his portly friend had to drop in a ring in a mountain or some such...
              --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Kruger
                • Jan 2014

I could use a little bit of rubber in the top and spring in the bottom. It's probably a good thing that I'm the only one. Much like a ring I am able to rule them all.

I've said before, Kruger isn't my name, it's his. ::Points to the piece he wrote:: But since I created him long ago and far away, it might as well be me too.
                I am the fulcrum.

Comment

• Kirowan
                  Corsair of the Second Ether
                  • Oct 2012

Thanks for running the show Thongor!

Didn't get anything in this year, but feel I still benefitted artistically. A few of the ideas I was brainstorming for this will no doubt get worked up into a finished state at some stage.

I dreamed a great steampunk scene too. That's definitely going to find its way into a story one day.

Comment

• Thongor
                    Barbarian Swordsman
                    • Apr 2005

Well unless anyone objects, I plan to keep the Challenge open to whatever genre the participants want to write. We seemed to lose writers when we chose a particular subject. So next year, Steampunk, sword & sorcery, mystery, whatever.

Comment

• EverKing
                      Eternal Companion
                      • Jan 2004

So what's the deal now that the entries are closed? Do we start providing comments, reviews, and (obviously constructive) criticisms? This is the first time I've actually taken part in the Story Challenge, so please fill me in. I know I, for one, would like to get good critiques of my hodge-podge tale of inner chaos. I'm just not sure if that part of the process for this or not.
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• Thongor
                        Barbarian Swordsman
                        • Apr 2005

That's entirely voluntary, Ever King. Folks can leave comments if they like. This isn't a critique group, but if you want critiques, just say so (as you did) and perhaps some will come your way. I'm mostly just a cheering section. Go team!

Comment

• Rothgo
                          Champion of the Unbalanced
                          • Aug 2006

I've often considered what it might be like to have an "editing" challenge: everyone starts with the same draft story, then enter an edit (changes with supporting comments where they think necessary). You'd need a suitable source though; by somebody with super-thick skin!

That's all by-the-by; back to the point raised above: a critique should probably be requested before anyone offers one. It's all hard work, often squeezed in between 100 other on-going life-tasks and so even well meaning; utterly correct and entirely helpful comments may not be wanted.

Comment

• Kruger
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Thongor
                            8. There is no guarantee of any prizes for entering the Challenge; after the End Date a poll may (or may not) be posted to allow people to choose their favourite; the organisers may (or may not) investigate the possibility of collecting all entries in a POD or e-book. Nothing is guaranteed.
                            As found in The 2014 Enclave Challenge Rules E.K. I do wonder for the powers that be if an announcement that a poll will not be posted would be provided. I'd say I am indifferent, but that would be a lie. I do accept that nothing may be forthcoming. :)

Thank you for hosting the contest Thongor!!

Da... I mean Grr.
                            I am the fulcrum.

Comment

• Kirowan
                              Corsair of the Second Ether
                              • Oct 2012

Hi Everking,

One thing you can try is to send something in to short story publications. Even if they don't accept it, sometimes they will offer valuable advice.

I had one piece rejected by a publication a while back, but the points raised in the feedback I received from the editor was a tremendous help. They are usually reluctant to give out advice though, both because they are pressed for time and also because some writers take well meaning advice the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                              X