Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Enclave Story Challenge for 2014!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thongor
    Barbarian Swordsman
    • Apr 2005

Enclave Story Challenge for 2014!

It's that time again, folks. Time to sit down and turn out some fiction and show the other Miscellany Members what kind of cool ideas you have running about in your head.
    If no one objects, I suggest we do the same thing we did last year and not set a particular theme that people have to write about. That way you can write sword & sorcery, or mystery or Western or whatever floats your boat. As always we will start on the first of July and end on the last Day of September.
    Questions? Concerns? Thoughts? Let's chat a bit and then I'll see about getting some rules up.
  • Jagged
    A confused voice within
    • Mar 2004

Are we allowed to use characters from Mike's books?
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

• Thongor
      Barbarian Swordsman
      • Apr 2005

Jagged, I'll run that past the other mods.

Comment

• Peacemaker
        Denizen of Moo Uria
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Thongor View Post
        It's that time again, folks. Time to sit down and turn out some fiction and show the other Miscellany Members what kind of cool ideas you have running about in your head.
        If no one objects, I suggest we do the same thing we did last year and not set a particular theme that people have to write about. That way you can write sword & sorcery, or mystery or Western or whatever floats your boat. As always we will start on the first of July and end on the last Day of September.
        Questions? Concerns? Thoughts? Let's chat a bit and then I'll see about getting some rules up.
        This sounds good to me. I am trying to get something started that I can finish. Do you have a maximum word count in mind? I hate word counts but if we write long short stories everyone might not read them all. Thoughts?
        Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

• Chris T
          Defender of the Runestaff
          • Jan 2009

I could be tempted to have a bash but it might be nice to have some kind of limitation for utter amateurs like me - eg some kind of word limit, anchor, theme or macguffin etc.

Comment

• Thongor
            Barbarian Swordsman
            • Apr 2005

I'll get the rules up soon, guys and that will have all that info. Word count for prose is maximum of 10,000 words.

Comment

• Thongor
              Barbarian Swordsman
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
              Are we allowed to use characters from Mike's books?
              Jagged, the word is that in the past we have used some of Mike's minor characters, but we tend to stay away from the major ones like Elric, Corum, etc. Jerry Cornelius is the exception.

Comment

• Thongor
                Barbarian Swordsman
                • Apr 2005

ChrisT, in the past we have used various themes, but in the last couple of years we've had trouble deciding on a theme that a majority of the participants wanted to use, so last year we let folks write about whatever they wanted to in order to encourage more folks to write. Here are a few themes to get your imagination running though.

Time Travel
                Mystery
                Sword & Sorcery
                Cthulhu Mythos
                Western
                Space Opera
                Steam Punk

Comment

• Jagged
                  A confused voice within
                  • Mar 2004

Jerry Cornelius is the exception.
                  Fair enough. I was planning to get by cheaply by throwing in one of my memoirs from the end of time. But I'll try to exercise my brain instead.

Comment

• Thongor
                    Barbarian Swordsman
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                    Jerry Cornelius is the exception.
                    Fair enough. I was planning to get by cheaply by throwing in one of my memoirs from the end of time. But I'll try to exercise my brain instead.

Hey this is your chance to write that Carnacki story!

Comment

• Jagged
                      A confused voice within
                      • Mar 2004

Hey this is your chance to write that Carnacki story!
                      Now, there's an idea. I'll consider it among others. Mind you, I already have been thinking along another track. Since getting inspiration from published works is generally considered stealing, and stealing from real life is generally considered getting inspiration, I'm currently thinking of doing a historical piece. Or, rather, since it'll be as idiosyncratic as always, a sort of historical piece.

Comment

• Kymba334
                        Eternal Champion
                        • Jun 2011

I will attempt to finish the story i was going to submit in 2011, there might be an element of Chaos there. I just hope that :

A) Nothing gets too much in my way both health -wise and domestically and
                        B) No technical difficulties in the posting of it like last year.

Looking forward to the challenge!
                        Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• Rothgo
                          Champion of the Unbalanced
                          • Aug 2006

Go Kymba!

Comment

• Kruger
                            The Maker and The Unmaker
                            • Jan 2014

I apologize for the late entry, life had me moving around more than I like, and further. Neither here nor there. I'm technically finished, except I am a little long.
                            The essence of light and dark rests on a fulcrum.
                            Your actions determine where lays the balance.
                            I am the fulcrum.

Comment

Working...
                            X