Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Comments thread for ALL entries

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments thread for ALL entries

This thread is for people to comment on the stories posted in the Challenge. Please do not post comments in the story threads themselves. (The mods will move any that are to this thread if need be but let's not create unnecessary work for them, okay? )
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM.

My apologies in advance, but this year I may well try out a bit of writing again. Those that read my last effort will know what I mean. Those that got to the end are to be commended for their perseverance!

The good news is that nobody need fear being the worst entry, so the pressure is off there!

Many thanks to Thongor for taking the time to get the ball rolling and keeping us all on track as the challenge progresses.

Comment

Enclave Story Challenge (2012)

What? Just when I was thinking about finishing the 2011 challenge. Well, I might try to come up with something. If I can only figure out how to amass sufficient coffee for the task without having it go into full gravitational collapse.

Comment

Ah, I have a sneaking suspicion that this year I will be writing like mad during the yule-tide season. I hate putting stuff off until the last minute, but I suspect that I will be very busy until then. Still... only 10k words, I may do okay on that.
        "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
        --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

thanks for setting up this year's challenge! I'll have to start work pretty soon. I've no real idea what a Steam Opera might be, but it'll be fun having a stab at one!

Comment

Hello.

Hope y’all don’t mind me posting here.

Thanks to Thongor and the mods for taking the time out to run this.

My tale’s A Two Fisted Fightin’ Pulp Steam Opera, heavily influenced by the awesome boxing tales of a certain famous pulp author.

I’ve never written a two-fisted pulp story before, or any pulp story come to that, and, like some others here it seems, have only a vague notion as to what a steam opera should contain - I just grabbed my boots and jumped right on in with the first chapter.

It’s planned for 8 chapters at approximately 1k words each so should be done in time for the deadline at one chapter a week.

I’m painfully aware that it’s no great star-blazing work of literature, but nevertheless I hope you will like it.

Comment

Hi and welcome Kirowan! I'm going to avoid reading anyone's stories 'till my own is done, but will be looking forward to catching up with everyone's stories later!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirowan View Post
                Hello.

Hope y’all don’t mind me posting here.

Thanks to Thongor and the mods for taking the time out to run this.

My tale’s A Two Fisted Fightin’ Pulp Steam Opera, heavily influenced by the awesome boxing tales of a certain famous pulp author.

I’ve never written a two-fisted pulp story before, or any pulp story come to that, and, like some others here it seems, have only a vague notion as to what a steam opera should contain - I just grabbed my boots and jumped right on in with the first chapter.

It’s planned for 8 chapters at approximately 1k words each so should be done in time for the deadline at one chapter a week.

I’m painfully aware that it’s no great star-blazing work of literature, but nevertheless I hope you will like it.
                A great start Kirowan! I'm waiting for a bulldog to show up...

Comment

Thanks Thongor!

From breezing by your excellent blog I figured you were a connoisseur of those fine original tales...

Hope the workload eases up.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Rothgo!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirowan View Post
                      Thanks Thongor!

From breezing by your excellent blog I figured you were a connoisseur of those fine original tales...

Hope the workload eases up.

Kirowan, yes the author of those yarns is among my absolute favorite writers.

Comment

Me too Thongor. I hope I don't muss things up too much with my amateur attempts at borrowing from his original formula.

Part two of my tale is now up. Gett'n a bit lonely in here!

PS Thongor, I like your Kharn tales. Thanks for leaving them up for us latecomers to read. Reckon you should think about an overall story arc for Kharn and gather his short stories into a book for publication once you've got enough.

Comment

Forgive my long absence. The sudden death of my beloved cat Corwin last month threw me for a loop. My fiance and I just adopted a new cat last Saturday. Her name is Floral and she's a Bengal-mix. She looks just like a little tiger and is sweet as pie. I'll post two or three chapters this week to make up for lag. I'm working on rewriting the ending to be more exciting. Stay tuned!
                          Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

I like your story, Kirowan. Sort of Jack London meets E.E. "Doc" Smith, with a dash of Firefly and Copper thrown in.
                            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

I've not yet started: too many real life issues taking up all what limited time I have. Hopefully that will start to get more managable soon. Well done those of us that have made the plunge!

Comment

Working...
                              X