Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

A New Challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Challenge?

Is it too early, or too late, for a new Challenge? Does anyone have any ideas on what it should be about? (I'm right out of ideas at the moment. :)
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

Nope, not too early. This is about when we usually start discussing it. In fact we started the 2010 challenge on May 1st, but last year we started the first of June.
    So let's see. Last year we chose between two of Mike's concepts, The Ship that Sails Between Worlds or Dancers at the End of Time. The year before that was stories of Unchronicled Eternal Champions, so the last two years have been very Moorcockian.
    I was thinking Steam Punk might be a fun theme this time out, and since Mike is considered one of the fathers of the sub-genre it goes along with the Forum.
    Or how about Detective stories, since Mike has just done a new Zenith. We could all try our hands at a Sexton Blake style yarn.

Comment

My vote is absolutely for steam-punk. The genre is becoming increasingly popular, and so few people realize Mike's hand in the genre.

If someone wanted to do a detective story, they could always do a detective steam-punk story, but yeah, I LOVE the idea of steam punk. (No surprise, Bastable being my favorite Champion anyway.)
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

J-Sun, Steam Punk would be my choice of the two as well. Some of my stuff has strayed close to that genre. Like to go full out. We'll see what other folks think.

Comment

I'm up for a bit of steam punk. Been reading a lot of Stephen Hunt novels lately and am just finishing Empire State by Adam Christopher, which is sort of steam punk/alternative history/noir detective. I might have idea to incorporate some MM elements, i.e., the Runestaff or even Stormbringer with a steam punk story.
          Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Have we started yet? After all, it's June now, at least according to my Cat of the Month Calendar...Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.
            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Nope, haven't started yet. Usually David or someone starts things off. We haven't had many responses to the query about the challenge. Perhaps we don't have many interested writers this time around.

Comment

Well, keep me posted, because I've already got an idea brewing. I'll do the Challenge even if we don't have as many writers this year. Heck, I'd do it if I was the only writer!
                Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Don't worry folks, we hope to make an announcement about this year's challenge very shortly.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                    Don't worry folks, we hope to make an announcement about this year's challenge very shortly.
                    (tapping Runesword against the carpet impatiently)....have we started yet? I've got my first chapter done.
                    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Tap, tap, tap...afraid I've worn a hole in the Multiverse...I'm into my second chapter. Secret societies, cryptic conspiracy theories, solid gold computer punch cards, kidnappings, steam trams, a hidden pneumatic underground system, quaggas and beautiful secret agents in bowler hats await the readers...
                      Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Thats just about all my favourite ingredients there WW!!

Lookin' forward to it.
                        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

And I haven't even mentioned Missus Turner's crumpets...
                          Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

I can't wait. I am sure you don't need my ideas but what would be cool would be a writing contest where the story must contain one of the weapons or artifacts of power used by an Eternal Champion.

Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Considering we haven't started yet or even set the rules, I've done four chapters and am starting on a fifth.
                              Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X