Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Comments thread for ALL entries

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments thread for ALL entries

This thread is for people to comment on the stories posted in the Challenge. Please do not post comments in the story threads themselves. (The mods will move any that are to this thread if need be but let's not create unnecessary work for them, okay? )
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Hey, WhiteWolf, I see we've both got a Jack in our stories. I won't sue if you won't

Out of curiosity, where should I start with the Nyren Halff tales? Which is the first one? I've never had the time the read them and I really guess I need to start.

Can't wait to see where all our respective stories go!

Comment

"The Heart of Hyras" is the first one of five stories leading to the novel, "Saga of the Serpent Swords" (tentative title, may change). The second is "Mother of Eternal Winter," and I'm still finishing the third, "The Chalice of Spring." "The Sixth Goddess" takes place between the stories and the novel.
      Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

My story, Sailing to Darkness, is up in its entirety. I need a nap now.

Comment

Story Challenge

I am working away on my story offline and hope to have a submission in due time. I am refraining from reading the others until I complete mine so I can keep my mind clear but I am sure they are all good stories.

One thing I am not clear on, since I am combining this contest with a story I am writing and intend to publish in ebook format, is Mike's IP okay to include in a published book or will I have to make some changes to erase and blur those references before I publish it?

I am only using his IP that is allowed by contest rules (the dark ship and its crew). There is no Law and Chaos theme, no soul drinking black swords, no albinos or champions with memories of prior lives, no Young Kingdoms or Tanelorn. You get the point.
          Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

A tad "lawyery" for us here Peacemaker, if you forgive the madey-up wordness there! While Mike frequents this forum's Q&A section, his agent doesn't!

A better idea here is to assess what would relate to Mike's IP, then simply ask him in the Q&A if that would be OK. He's quite an approchable chap!

Comment

I don't mean to sound lawyery I just want to respect Mike's work and thought this could be a chance to kill two birds with one stone while I am writing and have always thought the dark ship, or something like it would fit in with my work.

Thanks for the opinion I will run it through the forums before I go apublishing.
              Last edited by Peacemaker; 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM.
              Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Well, I can finally announce that Our Sweet Lord Jerry Cornelius did (eventually) marry Chewbacca the Blessed, and they are very, very happy. Unfortunately I can't give any of the details, as Jerry Cornelius got trigger-happy with his needle-gun and a pack of paparazzi shortly before the wedding, and much to everybody's surprise, there were no paparazzi at the wedding, so consequently I have no juicy gossip about what the happy couple were or were not wearing, and which one wore the tiara ... apparently both Jerry's and Una's needle-guns misfired, which led to recriminations which caused the collapse of the Colt NeedleGunz-R-Us franchise. Fortunately the cathedral that was being used, was undamaged by the recriminations ....
                sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                And incense the power of man with God
                But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                by Peter Cape

Comment

Because I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath, I just thought I'd add that I'm going to be posting a story, although it'll probably appear at the very last minute.

I don't write much prose fiction so I'm quite excited about it - it's turned out to be the perfect home for a few ideas and characters I've had sitting round in notebooks for a while that I wasn't sure what to do with

Last night I had a bit of a brainstorm while waiting for Wifelet in the Pub of the Year, and various components fell into place. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in

Comment

My third chapter's up, finally. Sorry, other projects got in the way, including planning my summer vacation to Key West and learning to play "Sonic Reducer" on electric guitar. Working on Chapter Four now.

For those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY6A_L
                    Last edited by WhiteWolf359; 07-30-2011, 06:08 AM. Reason: Dalek Invasion Force
                    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Got a vague idea of a thought, though I'm not sure if it will flesh out to anything worth the effort. Guess well see in good time...

Comment

Back to work on Chapter Two. Bit of a delay for me unfortunately.

Comment

The only hard part is deciding which of the two themes I want to do. They both sound so fun.

I like the challenges, because I love to write, but I am so busy that I never make time to write. The deadline forces me to write at least one short story every year, regardless of how busy I am. I always look forward to this every year.

Drat. Two great story ideas. What to do... what to do....
                          "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
                          --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Originally posted by J-Sun View Post
                            The only hard part is deciding which of the two themes I want to do. They both sound so fun.

I like the challenges, because I love to write, but I am so busy that I never make time to write. The deadline forces me to write at least one short story every year, regardless of how busy I am. I always look forward to this every year.

Drat. Two great story ideas. What to do... what to do....
                            The ship! The ship!

Comment

Either Jason: your quality standards of the last few years make it most certainly worth the effort!

Comment

Working...
                              X