Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Silent History Contest Vote

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent History Contest Vote

Vote for the best completed story in the 'Silent History' contest:

Nominations are:

The Silent History by WhiteWolf359
    The Silent History by Thongor
    The Silent History by J-Sun
    The Silent History by Rothgo (txt download here)

I've no idea how long people's stories are but we'll allow until the end of the month (Sept. 30th) for people to read them all before declaring the winner.

Congratulations to everyone who crossed the finishing line.
    WhiteWolf359
    0.00%
    Thongor
    50.00%
    J-Sun
    50.00%
    Rothgo
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Great stories all round guys well done!
    It was a hard choice in the end but i had to opt for J Suns as i loved the pace and the historical angle.
    Rothgo nearly edged it for including The Book of Talisker mind you!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Great stories, all the way around.

WW359 - Absolutely epic! If anything, it was too short. I kept wanting more and more details. Almost like the proverbial drinking from a firehose. I felt you had so much detail that was constrained by the word count, like this was almost the summary of a story.

Rothgo - Lots of fun. Similar to WW359, the world was tantalizing, like some larger story that I only had a glimpse of. Definitely left me wanting more. Like, how did it all end? Very tantalizing.

Thongor - Felt like a cross between Solomon Kane and Conan, which is obviously meant as a copmpliment. Great juxtaposition between Victorian England and the brutality of a Conan-esque world of barbarians. Felt like this was part of a greater whole, that this was part of a bigger series of stories. Tightly written, though, and well suited as a short story.
      "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."
      --Contessa Rose von Bek, Blood part 4, chapter 12

Comment

Thanks, J-Sun. I enjoyed everyone's work but the history angle in yours made it my favorite. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.
        Mine was actually based on a dream I had and I threw in some Lovecraftian and Wold Newton references because I'm a geek. It does sound like part of a bigger story but that's mostly me playing "Watson" and tossing off references to stories that were never written. Still I think I could expand it. Maybe I will at some point.
        I think all of us ended up with more ideas than we could stuff into 10,000 words. Most of the stories seemed like foundations for longer works. Well done, everyone.

Comment

Congrats one and all: a lot of fun reading!

The concept of not quite completing the tale (to greater or lesser extents) was surprisingly common: a 75% hit rate. What would have been the odds of that happening before we started I wonder?

But my fav. was the completed tale: that of the barbarian out of time from our very own barbarian. If there was one extra I'd have wanted would have been to have started that dual fully jacked-up; just to add a little fashion-related nod to Monsieur Zenith himself!

Comment

558 readers, and not ONE vote? I'm a bit perplexed. Did I mention to all you readers our there that if you vote for me, I'll buy you a free car (Hot Wheels, that's all my budget can support these days)? Better yet, if you vote for me, I'll refrain from sending my Uncle Vito over to your house to break your legs...oh...wait...I don't have an Uncle Vito. Vote for me, and I'll name a character in my next story after you. Really. Honest. You can hold me to it. :-).

Must dash. Vote now, vote often, vote for me!
            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

So we're done now? J-Sun and I tied for first place?

Comment

Certainly looks that way Thongor: congrats to you and J-Sun both, whether or not that's how it shakes out in the end!

Comment

I demand a recount! No, I don't really. Congrats to both of you. I enjoyed both of your stories. But I'll get you next year, just wait and see (maniacal laugh).
                  Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

6 votes total. Hmmm.... I`m thinking that, since WW,Thongor, Rothgo, and I were 4 of the 6, and maybe TF and David for the others...

...yep. Comically sad vote. Maybe we all lost.

But seriously, it was fun, and I`m so bad about actualy finishing something that for me the prize, even if I hadn`t got a single vote, would have been the discipline of finishing the story.
                    "Self-discipline and self-knowledge are the key. An individual becomes a unique universe, able to move at will through all the scales of the multiverse - potentially able to control the immediate reality of every scale, every encountered environment."

Comment

We four, we happy four, we band of brothers, we've proved ourselves of mighty staying power; and what bloke (or lass for that matter) doesn't want a reputation for that?

Or coming last now that I think about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
                        We four, we happy four, we band of brothers, we've proved ourselves of mighty staying power; and what bloke (or lass for that matter) doesn't want a reputation for that?

Or coming last now that I think about it...
                        We are the Four Who Are One. We Are The Warriors At The Edge of Time.

Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Yep, I'm just proud to have finished, and in such fine company. Nicely done gents.

Comment

Indeed. Perhaps the writing itself should serve as its own reward. It was a lot of fun and kept me on my toes during the contest. I say congratulations to all who crossed the finish line.
                            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

And that`s exactly my opinion. The finish line is the prize. Whether I had all the votes or none of the votes, whether 6 people voted or 6000 people voted, the real prize was doing it. In that, we Four all won!

Comment

Working...
                              X