Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Get writing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get writing!

For those of us with new year's resolutions to pick up the pen and paper, or the laptop - you might want to take a butchers at this. It's a BBC website offering free writing resources to get people into the writing groove.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

wow, thanks.
    http://lordonly.net lord only original progressive music

potential order without kinetic chaos becomes stagnant chaos.
    potential chaos without kinetic order becomes static order.

Comment

Thanks for the link,DC!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Just checking in - to see how everyone's efforts are progressing?

I finally admitted defeat on my Yith story - the dramatic conflict was lacking IMO and it was starting to run out of steam. But all is not lost - I'm working on another story as we speak which is a little more promising.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

The book is still stalled, not for lack of creative ideas, but for lack of discipline. Life getting in the way of art, yet again, but it will eventually see sunlight.

I have writing resources that Ben Jonson would have found unbelievable, and yet he did more to bend iron nails into love knots with his quill, ink and parchment than I have done so far with a Pentium IV and Microsoft Word. An amazing work of procrastination, am I.

But what I will be is more than I am now. It's the thought that keeps me looking forward.

Thanks for the link.
          "My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night;
          But ah my foes and oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light" - Edna St Vincent Millay

Comment

Thanks for the link devilchicken, will browse some of the material over there when I get time. Sorry to hear you dropped the Yith story. It's all experience though. I might have had some cogent advice to offer if I didn't keep starting and abandoning my own tales too.

And welcome to John and Personicus!

Comment

I've given up on the Darkblade story. Just... I'd written myself into such a corner, I couldn't get out.

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                I've given up on the Darkblade story. Just... I'd written myself into such a corner, I couldn't get out.
                It's irritating when that happens – usually it’s not ‘unfixable’, but more often than not it requires going back to the outline (my last mistake was in not even doing an outline – hence pages of irrelevant guff) and chopping out anything that takes the story off-track. That in itself is difficult – I’m still at the point of trying to preserve bits and pieces that (I think) “sound good” rather than ruthlessly chopping them out.

Storytelling often seems easy, but when you’re trying to write something yourself you realize how deceptively difficult it can be. At lot of the books I’ve been reading recently have been helping to shape my ideas – I’ve been going back the source essentially with “adventure fiction” like The Count of Monte Cristo, The Sea Wolf; and Captain Blood. So far those have taught me more than the “writing self-help” books I’ve tried – which even though they give good advice, I find it really difficult to really understand and apply those rules when they’re divorced from an actual story. I guess the “show, don’t tell” advice applies to that as well…

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                  Just checking in - to see how everyone's efforts are progressing?
                  Hi there dc. I have to admit that I purposefully avoided the link. I wanted to see how it came out without any 'coaching' first. I can always go back and rewrite it! I've been wanting to write something for many years - I couldn't find the time or the subject up 'til recently.

Last night, at about 1.00am i went to bed. I had some ideas bubbling and couldn't sleep because I knew they'd be gone in the morning. That always happens to me! Around 04.00 I decided to get out of bed and sit at the PC until I'd exorcised my demon.

So, in short - it's in this 'Members work' forum. It's called 'Downtime' and I'll load it on in chapters!

Hope someone likes it!
                  He's well smoked

Comment

I see you posted it. Not read it yet - but I'm impressed with anyone with the patience and discipline to put pen to paper.

Comment

Just checking in for an update. Can't believe it's been so long since I posted in the Enclave.

Comment

Tell me about it - and good thing you revived this thread.

I'm still working away - just moved house last month which has disrupted things a little. Still producing, but having the usual "grinding to a halt" issues. Storytelling still the big stumbling block - less so the technical aspects.

I gave up on my Yith story a while back - but some time away from it has given me a bit of hindsight into what was wrong with it. So I may revisit and rework it.

Same with the current thing I'm working on - the scene just didn't seem to be developing, though a bit more clarity on the antagonist has helped somewhat.

So far Lemec seems to have had the most success - I'm a procrastinator and unfortunately - it shows...

How about you?

Comment

Thanks, Fellas!

I have been pounding and plugging away on a real project,but that is mostly in idea form and mostly only written in my head so far!

I am going to write it for certain,though,and I plan to have it finished,as a complete novel by August 2007.

I am so very happy to see you guys check in! I was starting to become worried about The Enclave!

Please keep working on your stories!

Keep up the good writing!

devilchicken and Grey Mouser, would you please "rate" or comment on my short fiction,I think it only comes to ten pages,if it was printed out all together,twenty pages when it is double-spaced.

How about giving it a rating,say,on a scale of 1 to 50,50 being very good for an amateur.

It is probably a Negative 5,but I will rate my own story at a "1."

What do you think of it?

(If you have the time some day....)

Thanks very much!

Best Wishes,

Lemec

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showt...t=4027&page=12

The short tale is at Post #238,please.

It is my homage to "Planet of the Apes" (original) type movies,or the anti-nuclear stories of the 1960's and 1970's.

Enjoy!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hi Lemec - sorry for the late reply. Will check out your stuff and get back to you.

Comment

No problem,DC!

I just thought I'd mention it as a conversation piece.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X