Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lemec's Story Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cat-litter-crunchy kitchen floor? I know the feeling. :)

Comment

Very similar. (Except I wasn't bitten.)

Even today, at the grizzled age of 5, our cat likes to take a running leap into her litter box. I put the litter box in a place where the shrapnel might be more easily controlled.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
        The problem with barter is making sure one receives appropriate value for one's work.
        Dee and I were both happy. The value must have been appropriate, no?

I never do work in my profession for free...
        If the cause appeals to me, I'll work for free to promote said cause. Prototype X is a perfect example. I did the cover and other art completely free of charge. I will continue to do so as long as Perdix wants me to.

In any case, people ultimately want to get paid for their labors if they are serious about the activity.
        I am quite serious about Prototype X and have no desire to be paid for my work on it. I just want to be a part of the project and I want it to succeed. I guess I'm not your ordinary "people."
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          The problem with barter is making sure one receives appropriate value for one's work.
          Dee and I were both happy. The value must have been appropriate, no?

I never do work in my profession for free...
          If the cause appeals to me, I'll work for free to promote said cause. Prototype X is a perfect example. I did the cover and other art completely free of charge. I will continue to do so as long as Perdix wants me to.

In any case, people ultimately want to get paid for their labors if they are serious about the activity.
          I am quite serious about Prototype X and have no desire to be paid for my work on it. I just want to be a part of the project and I want it to succeed. I guess I'm not your ordinary "people."
          I think it is wonderful to barter if you have the opportunity. :D

The problem with modern and corporate society is that there are not enough individual proprietors who like to haggle and trade. Alot of money could be saved if you could get rid of your old junk for different junk. If you work for a company you have to follow their rules like it's the law of the land. I worked for a place that sold books, and they never let me use my own judgement to give someone a simple 10% discount if the book was damaged. It had to go through the highest level of approval and after they looked at the book which was alot of times falling apart, they would offer the customer 5% off. They will just send it back to the company or destroy it rather than letting someone get a good deal, my that would be bad indeed. Can't have people get ahead in life. I don't know if discounting would hut authors, but the way I saw it, the book was already paid for by the company so what they did with it was their business, especially if they are only paying 60% of the retail price to begin with.

I miss flea markets, they are on the decline. Garage sales aren't the same, they usually don't have much and what they do have they think their goods are made from gold for what they want for it. ;)

Also, it is very satisfying to reicieve a fair deal and offer a good deal. I think we all should make a living instead of making a killing. Some things are way over priced for the cost of production.

P.S. If you do want aid for you work that is fine too. I was just saying how it seems that certain companies like to really jack their prices up. We do need money in this world. It is just a shame it is not backed up like the silver certificates were to give the money a little more reality to it. I guess you could just take your money and buy a bunch a silver and gold with it though in case the economy goes into a dpression again. We don't know how long silver and gold will retain their value, but they have not lost it so far.

Not sure why diamonds are still worth so much,there seem to be plenty in the ground. At least gold has a practical purpose now that it is used in computers and other things. Diamonds are used in drills and saw bits, but how many times to we need to use those special items? :lol:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Talking of haggling, I often have clients coming in trying to beat me down on prices, but I always manage to beat them up.

Comment

:lol:

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

from the little picture i can click on in the link, his art looks AWESOME! i'd like to know more, but the pop-ups are kind of annoying... sorry.. we're having troubles with this computer and the internet as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
                  from the little picture i can click on in the link, his art looks AWESOME! i'd like to know more, but the pop-ups are kind of annoying... sorry.. we're having troubles with this computer and the internet as it is.
                  Thanks. I'm sorry that I can't direct you to a better web site. His old site was very good. It showed about ten paintings and several drawings. I bought a drawing of a knight-like figure a couple of years ago.

When he puts a new web site up, I will post the link. I will see if I can scan a few photographs in the meantime. :D

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hello, here is a much better link to see the paintings.

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/k/...katkowski.html

The 'Balor' is really incredible. They are all fantastic. :D 8)

I think there are 11 paintings on this site. You can enlarge them there too, so it is very cool.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Really good stuff there, lemec. Give Rob some kudos for me. :up:

Comment

Nice images!

I wish I could paint! I can draw--but it is time consuming, and I can never seem to acheive what I set out to do. What I finally did is settle upon an abstract "psychadelic" style, becasue I found that I could make up for my shortcomings in achieving perspective effects by concentrating on odd subjects and decorative patterns/shapes/design elements. For example, I am fairly good at drawing the colored shapes and patterns that might come out of a magic wand. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                          I found that I could make up for my shortcomings in achieving perspective effects by concentrating on odd subjects and decorative patterns/shapes/design elements. For example, I am fairly good at drawing the colored shapes and patterns that might come out of a magic wand. :)
                          Making up for shortcomings with your strengths? What a novel concept, CK! :D I do the same. You needn't look at my art for long to determine where my weaknesses lie and what strengths I use to make up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                            Really good stuff there, lemec. Give Rob some kudos for me. :up:
                            Thanks a bunch PsychicWarVeteran, I'll pass it along. :D

I was sent some of his self-portrait stuff that he is presently working on. I don't know if I can put those online yet, I will ask. I have those picts in my computer and not on a site.

He will really appreciate all these great comments. :clap:

Thank you Carter Kaplan. :D Everyone has their own way of doing things, I would not say you have shortcomings, your art sounds very cool and interesting to me. ;) I know what you mean though. I tried things and I can see how difficult it is. I'm not good at all. I'm sure your artwork is very good. Do you have something in the image gallery that I could look at? If not, would you like to post something for everyone to check out?
                            Please and thanks. :oops:

Thanks all, this is very encouraging. 8)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Carter Kaplan,

Wow! I did not know that you wrote "Critical Synoptics : Menippean Satire and the Analysis of Intellectual Mythology." I guess I should really click on everyone's web site to check it out. :D I might have to pick a copy of that up.

PsychicWarVeteran,

Your web page looks really cool as well, I am going to check it out now. Silly me, I only saw Dee's site before. :oops:

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                                PsychicWarVeteran,

Your web page looks really cool as well, I am going to check it out now. Silly me, I only saw Dee's site before. :oops:
                                Hey, thanks for the kind words, lemec. Glad you like it. Love to know what pieces you love/like/don't like/can't stand. My e-mail's available at the site.

Comment

Working...
                                X