Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lemec's Story Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perdix
    Sheesh! I am but a cipher, a mere pipeline, if you will, for the genius and talent of others...

Thankyou for your interest, Lemec! I would like to peruse your story, though 148p is waaay out of length for PX, to be honest: it's a book in its own right! Hence I think PX would not be the medium for such a magnum opus (a large type of cephalopod...?). Sounds jolly interesting, though. If it's a screenplay, have you 'pitched' it to anyone yet?
    :lol: You are most welcome Perdix. Thank You for you thoughts. ;)
    Good point, it is a bit lengthy.

Thanks for your interest. To answer your question, I did submit it to DreamWorks back in the year 2000. They decided not to attempt to make the movie. They had stated that it would cost too much to make and they would need a high budget for all the special effects. They said it was better if it was used in the written form such as a novel. We just never got around to turning it completely in novel form. I have all kinds of notes and scraps of paper laying around for additions and changes to the story along with the outline for the sequel. :lol: I thought in present day the special effects might be a little cheaper to make, so my friend and I might give the film version another go some time. It is called,"The Struggle For Almar."

Thanks for joining in PsychicWarVeteran. 8) I had started several projects, but other than this joint screenplay effort, I never finished the middle or ending to them really. Not counting things I did back in school or ideas I came up with for my gaming group. My "story challenge" was the only one that I finished recently.

I have a good part of a story about a lost empire and another story about Dukes and other nobles playing a mystical card game for land, wealth and power. The cards would each do a special thing or multiple things and the results could be deadly. There was one other where it was in the first person where my character went around and basically took a voyage in his own mind to unravel certain mysteries of the cosmos. I have to weave some of those ideas together or just go ahead and finish them as individual short stories or novels.

Thanks everyone!,

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
      Originally posted by lemec
      I would like to ask Dee some questions sometime about what it would take to see if he was interested in painting a portrait of one of the story's characters some time. Just a thought.
      Well, I don't "paint" as such (I have absolutely no patience when it comes to letting things dry before moving on to the next colour), but I do like to doodle... all of my colouring is done on computer, because you can keep things nice and flexible, and there's always the blessed "undo" button. All hail the "undo" button! If you're interested in cartoons, then maybe I could do something, but paintings are really not my territory. We've had some very talented painters pass through the Enclave, but none have stuck around sadly.
      Very cool Dee, thanks. On average, how large is one of those drawings that you have on your web site? Do you make them really large or do you draw them on 8 x 10 sized paper? What do you think a comic strip would cost? Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you like, if you don't want to post it here. I am just curious, my friend would love it if a character or two would come to life in a comic. :D A single panel would be a wonderful gift to hang on the wall and enjoy forever.

That is very interesting how you can colour your artwork on the computer.

Thanks!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Another thing I thought was was maybe going ahead and getting some B&W cover novels actually published for my own purpose to give away and so forth.

Most places want $650 for a short run, are you publishing Prototype X by yourself?

If I would ever put somehing in novel form, the artwork comes into play again, I would like to have a character portrait for the cover. Paperback novel that is.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Very cool Dee, thanks... What do you think a comic strip would cost?
          Dee has a cardboard sign that reads WILL WORK FOR L7. I found out that meant not only that he was willing to take up employment with the band, should they offer, but that I could effectively bribe a killer print out of him with shiny and rare L7 memorabilia.
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            Very cool Dee, thanks... What do you think a comic strip would cost?
            Dee has a cardboard sign that reads WILL WORK FOR L7. I found out that meant not only that he was willing to take up employment with the band, should they offer, but that I could effectively bribe a killer print out of him with shiny and rare L7 memorabilia.
            :lol: I can imagine. I know what it is like to be really obsessed with a particular band.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Very cool Dee, thanks. On average, how large is one of those drawings that you have on your web site? Do you make them really large or do you draw them on 8 x 10 sized paper?
              Well, without wishing to sound too amateurish, the largest I can go is A4 (your average-sized sheet of printer/photocopier paper... that's what I draw on, and I rest it on the back of an old Judge Dredd annual, of much the same dimensions). I'm guessing the images could be made larger for printing purposes using the computer, but I haven't tried that yet and can't say for sure.

What do you think a comic strip would cost?
              PWV isn't kidding... I don't have access to eBay, so I'm happy to work in exchange for memorabilia and old CDs. LSN has cautioned me against it, but at this point it's easier than negotiating currency exchanges and so forth.

That is very interesting how you can colour your artwork on the computer.
              Well, I'm getting used to my new art programme now, and coming up with some fairly satisfactory stuff. I also like being able to letter my artwork on computer, because my handwriting is awful. Hurrah for technology! :)
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

DeeCrowSeer wrote:
                PWV isn't kidding... I don't have access to eBay, so I'm happy to work in exchange for memorabilia and old CDs. LSN has cautioned me against it, but at this point it's easier than negotiating currency exchanges and so forth.
                That's wild. :D That is a very imaginative way of doing it.

Thanks for answering my questions. 8)

I just took another look-see at your web site. That image of "Frank and Jerry Cornelius" is my favorite from the "EC" category. The "Shirley Manson" drawings are fantastic! Jerry looks quite alive in your drawings, that one with "JC" with a guitar is a real eye-catcher. It is strange, I keep having to look at that one. That is cool how you can capture poses. I think that is what makes them look alive to me. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Dee, I think the Prototype X agency needs to take you on as a client for your own financial good.

Perdix has a PayPal account set up for ordering PX. It is conceivable that he could use such a method to receive payment for one of your commissions + shipping, deduct his 10% (), and hand over the proceeds to you. :lol:

This is just a thought.

(Dee works like a professional but thinks like an amateur about the business end of things.)

LSN

Comment

Dee just likes to keep it simple. Plus, he knows what he likes. Personally, I found buying some hard-to-find L7 stuff and sending it to him was far more personal. It harkened back to the old bartering days.

...that one with "JC" with a guitar is a real eye-catcher. It is strange, I keep having to look at that one.
                    We talked about making up a t-shirt with that particular piece at one point. See it [broken link]here!
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM.
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Ya, that would be awesome as a shirt! :clap:

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I did wonder what happened to the interest in that T-shirt, but didn't like to mention it. It would look pretty cool with the background PWV put on it.

In my defence, in the last two years I've had exactly one and a half requests for prints, so even if I had charged money I wouldn't exactly be in "business" as such... and the money would have gone straight towards CDs or DVDs anyway. It's not as if, like Mike with the role-playing rights, I've given up mortage money or car money!

When I was submitting cartoon strips to a faceless corporate publication, I happily took their cheques and chuckled at the ridiculous sum I was paid. Seemed like day-light robbery to me, but the client was a company, so I didn't feel as guilty as I would if it were just an individual, who I happened to know and like.

Still, all of this has given me an idea for a cartoon, so that's a result as far as I'm concerned. :)
                        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

The problem with barter is making sure one receives appropriate value for one's work. I never do work in my profession for free or for barter. It strikes me as a bad precedent. I am uncomfortable about doing professional tasks for friends and close acquaintances for this reason, but on those occasions I've done so, I was paid my standard rate. The only difference was that they often took me out to dinner afterwards and picked up the tab. Yet they never mentioned deducting that cost from the consulting contract fee. It's not a question of friendship. That's just the way business works. When the person is a friend, it can get a little uncomfortable when you submit that invoice for $40,000, but if they didn't plan to pay it, they shouldn't have retained your services.

There are some weird accounting tricks people have pulled in these situations. I recall when Harlan Ellison wanted to purchase a story for Again, Dangerous Visions but couldn't because he had run out of money allotted for paying the authors. The editor, Lawrence Ashmead, supposedly observed that the work was short enough to be paid for by the cost of a "business" dinner for the author at Doubleday's expense. They cut a check to pay Ellison for this "expense," and he handed the money over to Heidenry -- or at least, that's the way Ellison once told it. If the proceedings got audited later, they must have had some explaining to do.

In any case, people ultimately want to get paid for their labors if they are serious about the activity.

However, if people prefer to do something as a hobby and exchange animal skins and stone implements for the fruits of their hobby, that's their affaire, of course. I just hope they like animal skins.

LSN

Comment

I am in a singularly good position to pay PX contributors in animal skins, as it 'appens...

Comment

Please, don't touch the fur of Ms. Teabags.

What you do to your nurses and such are your business.

By the way, Ms. Teabags is a ringer for my youngest cat at the same age. From the description, the behavior pattern is similar, too. Fortunately, with time she calmed down -- somewhat.

LSN

Comment

MT is currently alternating between knocking birthday cards (both of them) off the mantlepiece and biting my nose.

Oh, and jumping into her litter tray and scurrying around really fast so that kitty litter flies out to encrust the kitchen.

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X