Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lemec's Story Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun. Which of these attributes do you like best for a character to possess?

Just for fun. Which of these attributes do you like best for a character to possess?

Please describe below why you chose the selection.

Please tell us what attributes you would like your own characters to have and the reason behing it.

Please tell us what attributes you like most about other authors' characters that you enjoy reading about and explain why.

Thanks!

-Lemec :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Righteous, Beastlike and Taciturn. In other words - a miserable, dirty bugger. ;)
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Originally posted by devilchicken
        Righteous, Beastlike and Taciturn. In other words - a miserable, dirty bugger. ;)

very cool!

I chose boisterous and fierce.

a good person to have in a bar fight. haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• You forgot "selfish", like Corto Maltese.
          Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

• This might not help Lemec but I voted for all of them - since all those attributes have their value in various combinations in different characters in various circumstances according to the multifarious contexts in which they might appear.

Comment

• Weak, shy and beastlike would make for an interesting character
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Hope I didn't come across as being flippant with my above reply Lemec. Perhaps the truth is that I just can't decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                  Hope I didn't come across as being flippant with my above reply Lemec. Perhaps the truth is that I just can't decide.

Grey Mouser,

That is actually a good response and is very true.

There are many others that should be on the list as well.

They all are useful to define the characters. ;)

devilchicken,

that would be something! haha

it might even fit some evil world dictator type character, hehe.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I have been thinking alot recently about something everyone must have thought of before me, and that is:

A writer/author benefits greatly by possessing a complete vocabulary in their memory. The process of writing must be alot faster for them for sure, whereas I am looking at the Thesaurus and dictionary after every few words. haha It also explains why I take awhile reading certain books, I'm searching definitions half the time. One of these days I will remember more of the words that I look up.

Wouldn't it be great to have a vocabulary of all words,phrases and languages on a chip one could install inside the brain?

Perhaps the Cyberpunk forum has already discussed this or has found an alternate solution to this.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• I've read of a distinction between reading vocabulary and writing vocabulary. Usually the writing vocabulary is considered more limited.

Of course there's always the notion of creating your own slang/argot for the denizens of your world as well - then no one can call you out for misusing words.

Comment

• Yes but sometimes lack of knowledge is confused with talent :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Anarchist
                          Yes but sometimes lack of knowledge is confused with talent :)

Yes,Anarchist, that can be true in some cases.

I found that I d not have that much raw talent, when it comes to writing.

I am pretty good at coming up with a few decent ideas and characters, but when it comes time to transfer it from my brain to paper, it sure does not always work out the way I want it to.

I do not seem to be able to find the glue to hold it all together. It's alot more difficult than it looks. haha

maybe if I wrote things like a screenplay, where it can be all choppy and in a situation where I could take my vision and create it as I go, like putting something on film with a general idea and a script, but as far as making a whole book that does not repeat all the little stuff that keeps it flowing correctly, that is another story!

I am no Michael Moorcock, that is for sure!

I just spend five days on only 4,000 words and I did not really even say anything of meaning in those words, it's a tricky thing.

This reveals to me how talented you all are and how good authors really are.

At least I gave it a whirl.

I will continue to make stuff as a hobby. I will do it for fun and entertainment.

maybe later I will come up with something unique.

Do you, my companions, think it's very hard too? -after reading various books, to come up with something different?

I find myself scrapping several projects before they get off the fround.

I salute those with true skill!

If I collaborate with friends, I might actually get something accomplished and can feed from their energy and add a few helpful things.

Until then, I will practice and learn.

thanks,

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• A writer's guide I read recently said that talent isn't necessarily important to write. It's only important when it comes to winning literary awards.

There are many published writers out there who are particularly good writers but can tell a halfway coherent story. Anyone who's read any Stephen King or Dan Brown can probably understand that ;)

Its more about determination, discipline and putting in enough effort to improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by devilchicken
                              A writer's guide I read recently said that talent isn't necessarily important to write. It's only important when it comes to winning literary awards.

There are many published writers out there who are particularly good writers but can tell a halfway coherent story. Anyone who's read any Stephen King or Dan Brown can probably understand that ;)

Its more about determination, discipline and putting in enough effort to improve.

devilchicken,

That is a good way to look at it.

very cool and good advice!

thanks,

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Sorry that sounded a little arrogant which was not the intent. I'm in the same boat as everyone else, so I can't talk, but it made sense to me.

There's plenty of writers out there who get published with some truly atrocious prose - Terry Brooks has made a career of it after all...

In fact, it might be accurate to suggest that the untalented writers make more money than the talented ones. Doesn't seem fair somehow...

Comment

Working...
                                X