Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

der Jنgermeister - looking for research material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• der Jنgermeister - looking for research material

The German word for hunter is jنger. While in Bavaria I encountered der Jنgermeister, which English sources tells me means "hunting expert". Der Jنgermeister I met seemed more like a park ranger. At the radio site I worked, we had a dog named Barney, who got out of the gate occasionally. Apparently the dog would chase the deer into a territorial fence used to keep the deer in a defined area. The last time der Jنgermeister threw Barney over the fence back onto the radio site, he promised to shoot him if he ever found him again.

Can our German reading friends tell me more about der Jنgermeister, his role traditionally and his modern role? I'd be grateful for any source material.
    Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

For me Jنgermeister is a herb liquor, not unlike the Hungarian Unicum. Sorry that I cannot help more, Reinart I'm sure L'Etranger can though!

Comment

This question still unanswered, eh?

Oren is right, "Jنgermeister" is a brand name for a stomach tonic with alcohol.

It doesn't or no longer exists as a designation of a function.
      Forrests usually are being maintained by a Fِrster who are both foresters and hunters (whose job it is also to hunt to keep the population of deer, wild boars or rabbits lest they chew up too many young trees if the forrest cannot sustain them otherwise). They can have a "chief forester" who may have a larger area as his district. They also are those who fight poachers. Forrests and forrestry of course have a mythical place in the Germanic soul and therefore the more romantic "Jنgermeister" or master hunter, probablysounds attractive to potential consumers of said liquor.
      Never touched my self, might have worked with a brandname like "Quatermain" or so, given my African childhood ...
      Google ergo sum

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4germeister

"The term Jنgermeister was introduced in Germany in 1934 in the new Reichsjagdgesetz (Reich hunting law). The term was applied to senior foresters and gamekeepers in the German civil service. Translated literally, Jنgermeister means "hunt-master", combining Jنger (hunter) and Meister (master, in the sense of an accomplished professional). A free translation would be gamekeeper or forest supervisor."

As far as the drink goes - it's very good. I sip a little after a heavy meal - it really does help with digestion.

das
        Last edited by dasNdanger; 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Figures it dates to 1934. Anyone who threatened to shoot Barney the Dog had to be a Nazi. Now, Barney the Dinosaur, on the other hand...
          Kevin McCabe
          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
          X