Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Conference Panel on the Anti-Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Is Dee taking part in the panel?

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Doesn't that have Humphrey Bogart as Marlowe? I'll have to check it out - although Bogart doesn't really seem right to me in that character.

Marlowe is an asshole, but Bogart always seemed too 'stiff' for my liking. Harrison Ford (back when he actually cared about acting) would have done a good job with that character

Leave a comment:

• Rothgo
    replied
    Originally posted by devilchicken
    Chandler's Philip Marlowe would probably be considered a textbook anti-hero. I got a series of Chandler audiobooks last year - I've been hooked not only by Chandler's snappy prose, but by the amorality of his character.
    Also unusual in that they transferred well to film. The Big Sleep is a grand bit of film noir. Not quite as 'nasty' as the book but very watchable in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Chandler's Philip Marlowe would probably be considered a textbook anti-hero. I got a series of Chandler audiobooks last year - I've been hooked not only by Chandler's snappy prose, but by the amorality of his character.

All her boyfriend's got around to slapping her sooner or later. I could see why they might

Leave a comment:

• AnarchyeL
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    As soon i receive the books ordered from the states and read them ....

How long must/can be the paper ?
    For this particular conference, papers are usually short--in the range of 8-10 pages. But that's because people have a (bad) habit of actually reading them.

The aim now is to push for a more dynamic, interactive format... so rather than have a 3-4 person panel read 3-4 papers, I am hoping to put together a roundtable discussion of about 3-6 participants. We'll each have an opportunity to summarize our work, but we'll try to spend more time taking questions and engaging in discussion.

Still, it would be difficult to "summarize" a sixty-page paper (in less than ten minutes) and make any sense!! So, as a general rule, the unofficial "minimum" is in the range of eight pages, while there is no "official" maximum. I would just ask that you be reasonable in what you expect to convey in a few minutes.
    Last edited by AnarchyeL; 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by AnarchyeL
    Yes, from what I know of him he would seem to count.

If you're interested in explaining to people why he's interesting, I'd like to see an abstract with your thoughts.
    As soon i receive the books ordered from the states and read them ....

How long must/can be the paper ?

Leave a comment:

• MichaelEhart
    replied
    Looks interesting

as someone who writes a fantasy character who is very much anti-hero, and as an unapologetic fan, I would love to see the results of this conference. Please keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• AnarchyeL
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgan Kane
    Would Kane by Karl E Wagner would be an anti-hero?
    Yes, from what I know of him he would seem to count.

If you're interested in explaining to people why he's interesting, I'd like to see an abstract with your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Kane
    replied
    Would Kane by Karl E Wagner would be an anti-heros ?

Leave a comment:

• AnarchyeL
    replied
    Much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Madrigal Rose
    replied
    Anarchyel, I would really like to see your Panel get the exposure it deserves and, assuming you've no objections, I've moved it to this forum, which I think you'll find acceptable

Leave a comment:

• AnarchyeL
    started a topic A Conference Panel on the Anti-Hero

A Conference Panel on the Anti-Hero

Hi,

I am putting together a panel (actually, probably more of a roundtable discussion) on the anti-hero in popular fiction at the Spring conference of the Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA). You can find out more about the conference here.

The "official" call for papers goes something like this:

This panel examines the meaning and significance of the "anti-hero" in popular fiction. The anti-hero, while he or she may ultimately "save the day," does not live by the same set of rules as the traditional heroic figure. Sometimes, such characters serve ultimately noble ends but employ the most despicable tactics, bringing sharply into focus the perennial question, "does the end justify the means?" Elsewhere the anti-hero's inevitable destiny carries the character along despite her/his most dreadful character flaws and self-absorption. Often, these anti-heroes suggest that real "purity" is not only unlikely, but also potentially dangerous. The panel sets out to explore these themes.

Moorcock's work is obviously relevant here, so if anyone is interested please submit a short abstract of your work by September 10, 2006. (And feel free to pass this on to anyone else who might be interested!!) All theoretical/interpretive approaches are welcome--I only ask that participants avoid jargon as much as possible to keep the discussion generally accessible.

You may email abstracts or papers to me at [email protected].

Thanks!!
Working...
X