Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Giant of Yith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Look on the bright side though DC - your writing way faster than me.

Robo-prez has taken me almost a year for a 6000 word story and it's still not finished.

I admire the way you can focus on this in your busy life.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    I'm still going - very slow I might add. It's difficult - but I'm trying to persevere with the story.

I have a friend who is sort of an impromptu editor - has given me a lot of good advice about how to make it better.

At this point - finishing the story is the key goal.

The wife is out on business all next week, so I'm to if not completely finish to get a fair way of the way there. Nearly 2 months to produce 8000 words - its turning into a bit of a slog.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Glad to hear the cat situation is amicably resolved - at least for now.

Are you going to be posting any more of your tale here or finishing it off and sending it in to one of the magazines? Wish I could borrow some of your steady determination or Lemec's industrious enthusiasm. I think I'm too lazy to finish my own stuff.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Story is going well - 7500 words and counting. Might be looking at 12,000 words now - and I have some new elements to add some dramatic conflict.

Cat situation appears to be resolved. And our landlady now appears to be completely, irredeemably crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Just checking in for an update DC. Actually, not only for the story but also on the situation with your landlady and the cats.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Thanks Mouser - yes ERB is a definite influence with regards to the giants.

Hopeing to blast through the rest of the story this weekend (hopefully),

Have already though of some new directions to take the story if/when I do the rewrite. Thought I could introduce it from the POV of the soldiers chasing Daryoon - who have themselves gotten lost, and are attacked by the giants (who would be on foot this time, no ship). I could then introduce Daryoon as having been previously captured. Might add a little more tension - having two enemies pitting themselves against their captors.

The last part of the story will have a bit of a "Door to Saturn" / Cthulhu feel to it...

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Excellent stuff DC. Your story is progressing well and there's a great urbane tone to your prose which reminds me of Mike's approach in many of his Elric tales. I take it you have read ERB's stuff as well. Your giants of Yith here remind me of ERB's black pirates of Barsoom, from one of the moons (can't remember which one it was). The background details you have are integrated seamlessly with the narrative. I think your slower more lapidary approach is really paying off. It's really helping build up a fine sense of atmosphere for your tale.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Part 2

<<To be reposted later>>
    Last edited by devilchicken; 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    I'm not really following a pattern - I have a rough idea of the structure in my head. Basically I intorduce the character - introduce a problem and argue a resolution.

Just asked myself some basic questions - who is he, where is he, why is he there - that prompted most of the first part. Though I have to admit I'm a little concerned that is already at the 3000 word. Considering relatively little happens in the first sequence I may have to trim that.

The next part I'm going to introduce the Giant of the title.

Already had an idea for the start of another story - just rough notes so far. Got to get this done so I can get into it.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Hey, the new bit's really cool DC (almost literally as Daryoon is in a frosty wilderness). I wonder if the current hot temperature is influencing your desire to write about a cold clime?

Still, your focus on completing the tale is paying off. You mentioned the 1st part being complete now. I did a quick word count and that would indicate approx 3000 words per part? Are you using a four part Dent structure?

I think one of the mistakes I may have made with my own tale was having too many characters too soon. I had no focus of who to identify with. I'm going to take a tip out of your book and rewrite my concept focusing on one of the character's point of view.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    devilchicken,

That sounds really cool. It will be great to see what you do next.

It's a bit toasty around here too, I got a fan aimed at my head.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    When I do the rewrite I might make the 'multi-armed steed' more than a dumb monster. It liked the idea that it has some sort of sentient intelligence that adds a kind of comedy to the proceedings (I like that Daryoon doesn't trust it).

Still not done yet - I've got to get to the Giant of the title, and what happens after. That's all still to come - been having trouble getting any work done this week. The NY/NJ area has been baking in the hottest summer I think I have ever been through (even compared to California desert heat). Hard to get my mind on the job with no A/C.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    A nice monster tale! very cool!

I can feel the ice.

-Lemec

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    <<Temporarily Removed - Will be reposted later>>
    Last edited by devilchicken; 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X