Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Giant of Yith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Giant of Yith

<<Temporarily Removed>>
    Last edited by devilchicken; 09-14-2006, 07:25 PM.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Excellent stuff DC. Those civilised soldiers have no stomach for the chase. Pictish tribesman would have followed Daryoon a thousand miles or more across that wilderness to settle a blood feud.

You are going to finish this, right? Maybe even send it in to Black Gate or Weird tales if it's around the 5-10,000 word range?

Comment

Contrary to the other story - I actually have more of structure for this one - in that I know how it is going to end.

But yes assuming all goes well I will finish this one (fingers crossed and much touching of wood)

The Azhaan character from the other story is more alike to the Daryoon of this. I'm trying to create a sort of in between of Elric and Conan - I was always curious as to how the likes of Yrrykoon would have fared if Elric really did banish him to the "lands of the barbarian".
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
        Contrary to the other story - I actually have more of structure for this one - in that I know how it is going to end.
        I think this shows up in your style, which seems more assured in this extract.
        I was reminded a little of Howard, and Mike (in some of his earlier Elric stories) in your diction and opening technique.

Comment

I'm working on the next section now - there's some interesting stuff going on with the 'multi-armed steed'

Comment

Look forward to it DC.

Comment

yep, very cool, I would not even want to encounter Daryoon, let alone fight him.

the start reminded me a song,hehe.

The Cult wrote: "Rider In The Snow"

Reaching for a reason
              A rider in the snow
              Has not far to go
              Has not far to go
              Bomb unite the land
              I call deep inside
              Where no barriers hide
              There's no mistake
              The time of change
              Blow my body, blow
              The four winds in the snow...
              Meanwhile back in town
              Behind a paper frown
              There's no mistake
              The time of change
              The stars sigh as they look down
              His horse is broken now
              On his knees
              Gray hair tumbled down
              His gray hair tumbled down
              Blow my body, blow
              The four winds in the snow...

of course, I listen to The Cult way too often.... :o

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Still working on it - taking a lot longer than I anticipated. Lot of stuff has happened over the last couple weeks.

Comment

Good to know it's still in progress DC. I've kind of abandoned mine. It needs reworking with a fresh view of the characters.

Comment

meanwhile, I have three sentences on my story that I plan to submit

I need to get on that. haha

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's been difficult - though I have about 3000 words (and may need to cut back when I rewrite the draft).

Had various domestic things going on - trip to a friend's wedding on the other side of the country and am currently fighting with our landlady who has spontaneously decided that she wants us to get rid of our two (much loved) cats.

Comment

Ouch. Pretty rotten of your landlady to take umbrage against your cats at this stage. She should have cleared the ground on that score before you agreed to become tennants. Hope she climbs down on this and the situation doesn't escalate DC.

3000 words is good going. Hard to focus in a busy life. You're doing way better than me as that's twice as far as I got before abandoning my tale. How far through do you reckon that puts you?

Comment

I'm probably between 1/3 and 1/2 done. I know where the story is going - the trick is trying to keep things interesting, rather than feeling like a grind.

Pretty certain I'll need to do a redraft once I get done. Of course I have to get there first...

Yeah the stuff with our landlady is looking rather iffy. We think she may have broken some building rules by allowing us to move in with out cats and is trying to bill us for her mistake. As we're not going to get rid of the cats, and she'll likely be getting fined as a result, she'll probably have no choice but to break our lease agreement - which considering the way things have been going over the last few months will be far from a bad thing.

As long as we get out of it with no financial liability of our own I'll be happy.
                          Last edited by devilchicken; 07-28-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Hey DevilChicken- good luck with the cuts on your story! Who was it that always talked about "killing your darlings?"

On a different note, good luck with your landlady. For those people who believe in Hell, believe that there is a special place there for people who think pets are disposable.

Comment

Thanks Doc - I sent her a letter, so I'll find out soon if she's all mouth and no trousers.

Apparently there was a 'complaint' in our block that we were putting loose cat litter and unbagged garbage into the communal bins. Our landlady got 'reported' by the Condominium Association and she's demanding we get rid of our cats. She doesn't seem to consider the idea that the 'accusation' might be totally without merit. Which it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X