Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"manmiles" story talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "manmiles" story talk

Hi Miles,

"To Conquer the City of Wizards" is looking good!

I am going to read more of it and add a few comments.

Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Bravo manmiles! :D the third chapter was most excellent.

**Spoilers** :

chapter two sounded familiar, perhaps the story was started before the great exile into Limbo? hehe ;)

I do enjoy how everything is set up about the wizard city and their "Old Ways."

It look to be a story that I will certainly enjoy, plus it is written very well.

Nice, like a picture, are scenes like the messenger/guard falling from his horse.

I am looking forward to it!

I wanna see what happens next, with the siege.

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I knew I was not a clairvoyant or insane,

I found the link, the additions you have made are quite wonderful!

Darkblade is a pretty cool character. :)

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showt...ight=Darkblade

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Wow, a thread talking about one of my stories not created by me... I feel like Stephen King.

I'm going to start work on the next chapter over the weekend... I promise there be fighting.

Comment

haha. thanks! that sounds cool.

just wait for the manmiles fan club. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm following this story too Manmiles, so that's at least an audience of 2 (plus all those who read but are too shy to reply).

Comment

A fanclub? Holy Crap, don't, my head will become huger than it already is!

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                A fanclub? Holy Crap, don't, my head will become huger than it already is!

hahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

Yep, the charter has already been founded.

We are called "Manmiles' Marauders"

-inspired by the barbarians who work for the character Darkblade who was created by Miles Reid.

We hope you will approve of the name. ;)

Edit-I forgot to add-just kidding,hehe

no need to worry, I'd never do something like that without permission.

I will wait patiently for the new part.
                Last edited by lemec; 07-07-2006, 10:17 AM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Does anyone else find there's a element of subconcious (good natured) competitiveness to the Enclave? Personally speaking, I find reading others submissions encourages me to push myself in a way that ordinarily, I would find very difficult.

Way I see it, if even one of us publishes a story as the result of this, the whole exercise will have been well worth it!
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Well, I've got to get back on track on checking out OTHER people's work. I've always been badly lax when it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                      Does anyone else find there's a element of subconcious (good natured) competitiveness to the Enclave? Personally speaking, I find reading others submissions encourages me to push myself in a way that ordinarily, I would find very difficult.

Way I see it, if even one of us publishes a story as the result of this, the whole exercise will have been well worth it!

ya, devilchicken!

It inspires and encourages me, I also find it fun talking about the story process, it gives me fuel. It's great kicjing ideas around.

what was that quote from the movie Patton?, :

something like, "Give George a headline and he's good for another five miles."

haha

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                        Well, I've got to get back on track on checking out OTHER people's work. I've always been badly lax when it comes to that.

I would not worry about it, especially when you are on a roll. ;)

the work will still be there to check out at a later time, haha.

I'm like an energy vampire feeding off the power of other stories, hehehe

I enjoy it.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Now I see what they mean by the phrase 'voracious reader' Lemec.

I too find having a small audience here is encouraging. As is the thought that there is still a small chance of potentially getting something published in the short story market. I had thought of making a post gathering together all the venues we could find for getting stuff published, esp ones which specifically endorse or encourage submissions from less experienced writers. HAJones of Swordandsorcery.org mentioned Paradox magazine in the S&S thread in the Q&A a while back and their links page seems as good a place as any to start. Black Gate looks like a good venue for S&S. Rates seem to vary from 3-8 cents a word, with 3 - 5 cents being the most common. Weird Tales seems to offer a flat rate of 3.

One question I have though, if anyone knows for sure, is to what degree does posting a story here constitute previous publication, and how much, if at all, would that hamper the chances of it getting published in a magazine? Only relevant for stories that are not composed directly for the Enclave of course. The answer may vary for each individual publisher.

Comment

Grey Mouser,

That would be an extraordinary move to get published in a magazine.

I don't know the answer to the question.

I did think that American companies would say that if you had books printed with the bar code etc. to be sold as retail, then it is published.

I guess internet rules are different though. If things here are considered "published," that actually could be helpful for a starting writer to get their foot in the door.

This has initiated some deep thought, I like your ideas.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I started to come up with something for Amazing Stories by Paizo last year, but when I went to check on the address, I saw this:

Amazing Stories is not currently accepting submissions.

Previously submitted manuscripts are being returned.
                              http://paizo.com/amazing/submissionGuidelines

haha,

the magazines that you mentioned look far better, Paizo printed those D&D type magazines.

wow! Black Gate looks great, fantasy adventure, that's my cup o' tea right there,hehe.
                              Last edited by lemec; 07-07-2006, 08:03 PM.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X