Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RitaMaria
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Mouser
    Re the concept of imagined characters assuming reality an internet search on the topic of 'tulpa' (from Tibetan mysticism) might yield interesting results like this article from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

A theory somewhat akin to the one that what we imagine might factually exist in other dimensions (syncreistic pantheism?), which might give fans of horror fiction the heebie jeebies.

Rita Maria, I think one of the things that appealed to me about that phrase was the juxtaposition of 'distinguished' with 'monstrous'. I had an image of Emilio sitting at the dinner table (perhaps reading a book) wearing a tuxedo with his werewolf fur spilling out at the collar and cuffs.
    Grey Mouser,

Thanks for this link. Very interesting. I already knew the X-files Tulpa episode ("Arcadia") very good.
    Nice image you made for Emilio! :)
    I am extremely glad because "A House" was so welcome for you,people of Multiverse!
    Rita.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Re the concept of imagined characters assuming reality an internet search on the topic of 'tulpa' (from Tibetan mysticism) might yield interesting results like this article from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

A theory somewhat akin to the one that what we imagine might factually exist in other dimensions (syncreistic pantheism?), which might give fans of horror fiction the heebie jeebies.

Rita Maria, I think one of the things that appealed to me about that phrase was the juxtaposition of 'distinguished' with 'monstrous'. I had an image of Emilio sitting at the dinner table (perhaps reading a book) wearing a tuxedo with his werewolf fur spilling out at the collar and cuffs.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by RitaMaria
    What a curious interesting theory, Dee!
    Worse than that, I think it might be the plot of a Stephen King novel... or several Stephen King novels...

Leave a comment:

• RitaMaria
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Yes, very kind of you. :)

Personally I wonder if the characters don't use us, the poor unsuspecting writers, to force their way into our reality...
    Dee, you are welcome.
    :) What a curious interesting theory, Dee!
    Rita.

Leave a comment:

• RitaMaria
    replied
    Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    I love this! Characters in your head angry over the fact. Wonderful!

I'm sure Dee will greatly appreciate the dedication. I bet Nutmeg would be furious to find out she's all in his mind.

Nice work, Rita.
    :) Oh, thank you very much!
    Yes, I guess Dee will. He is very double-cool (cool guy, cool artist)!
    :) There is a curious detail about "A House": it is a metafiction. This way, I am not the writer mentioned in this story, who has all characters in his mind. He is a fictional writer in a fictional story and He is not me! He is a guy. I am a woman.
    It is like if Mike writes a story about a fictional writer, a woman who writes. She would be Mike but just a fictional writer, a character.
    I have choosed this approach to permit this aspect of metafiction.

Rita.

Leave a comment:

• RitaMaria
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey Mouser
    Great vignette Rita Maria. I like your choice of character names and...

...is a superb phrase.

Are there any more tales of Von Troft's House?
    Grey Mouser,

Thank you very much! The names in "A House" share a feature each other: they are simple. I love simple names. Oh, I am very glad because you have liked this phrase.
    I intend more tales of Von Trof's House be written. My plan is this fictional universe be a shared universe, and this means one where a lot of writers can work.
    I have developed some concept and guidelines for this universe, which, I hope, can be followed by other writers wants to participate. I already did this proposition for some brazilian writers, but if some writer of this forum want to participate I am very glad. Just contact me!

Rita.
    Last edited by RitaMaria; 06-21-2006, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Yes, very kind of you. :)

Personally I wonder if the characters don't use us, the poor unsuspecting writers, to force their way into our reality...

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    I love this! Characters in your head angry over the fact. Wonderful!

I'm sure Dee will greatly appreciate the dedication. I bet Nutmeg would be furious to find out she's all in his mind.

Nice work, Rita.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Great vignette Rita Maria. I like your choice of character names and...

Originally posted by RitaMaria
    distinguished innumerable monstrous dwellers
    ...is a superb phrase.

Are there any more tales of Von Troft's House?

Leave a comment:

• RitaMaria
    started a topic A House

A House

A HOUSE
    A Tale of Von Troft´s House
    By Rita Maria Felix da Silva

It was the House, as it always was. There were a lot of distinguished innumerable monstrous dwellers inside it and the House was situated at a rocky desert, under a forever grey sky where thunderbolts crepitated.

One time, Yuri, the vampire, came back perturbed from the basement (where the Mad Scientist was lodged). He met Emilio, the werewolf, in the dinner room.

“I just visited Baron Von Troft.”

“Take care! Don’t get crazy either! What has he said to you?”

“Did you ever think about what is this house and what are we really? Baron told me this is not a true house, it is really a human writer’s mind and we are just imaginary characters of this writer.”

Emilio kept himself away furious because of that foolishness

End
    Note: The Portuguese version of this text is dedicated to Marcio Domenes the English Version of this story is dedicated to Deercrowseer
Working...
X